Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Gain 1.5mph for $50.00 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/55414-gain-1-5mph-%2450-00-a.html)

29 OUTLAW 07-25-2003 06:30 PM

Gain 1.5mph for $50.00

For those of you who are not members of TBM:

There is a thread over there in which Bruce Dannecker claimed a speed increase of 1.5mph in his Baja 342 with twin 502’s by switching from regular oil to Castrol Syntec (full synthetic). Since I’m willing to try anything to go faster (except bottom coating), I put Syntec in to see what happened. I have a 29 Outlaw with twin 496HO. Below is what I posted on TBM:

I was off work today and was able to get the boat out on the water. I would have to say that I gained at least 1.5mph with the Castrol Syntec.

Previous best GPS was 78.3mph on a day in the mid 70’s with a nice chop to keep me up in the air.

Today was 90 degrees and the water was dead-flat. Despite that, I recorded 78.6mph and that was only on 1 run that lasted about 15 seconds. Typically on a 90 degree day my GPS speeds are 77.0mph +/-.

Before – on a good day the speedo would bounce between 78-80mph.
Today - speedo was bouncing between 80-82mph.

My only compaint – why did I wait this long to try it. Maybe some synthetic in the drives and I’ll get even more.

97BossHammer 07-25-2003 07:22 PM

wow, looks like I might have to switch. I had always read in previous threads (i think) to just run regular oil. But heck if you can gain 1.5 mph I'm all for it.

TEAMBAJA 07-25-2003 11:46 PM

Wow! 1.5 mph?? I can get to the bar faster and start drinking earlier!

Luv-N-It 07-26-2003 06:26 AM

Originally posted by TEAMBAJA
Wow! 1.5 mph?? I can get to the bar faster and start drinking earlier!
LMAO:D :D

Hey 29, did your RPM'S get higher? I have a labbed prop pushing me very close to rev limiter and I'm afraid if I gain another 100 RPM, then I'm going to be bouncing off and on, on the rev limitier.

I've heard the same thing too. Have not done it. What synthetic oil did you use? The way I understand it is this-synthetic oil allows the motor and outdrive to work easier if you use sythetics. I would try Redline Shockwave? for you outdrive. There are a lot of people that use this for their outdrive and get great results with it.

29 OUTLAW 07-26-2003 08:07 AM

I gained about 200rpm. I don't believe I am on the limiter. Engines run 5100 left 5200 right.

Highmark 07-26-2003 09:23 AM

Without changing props you cannot gain speed without gaining RPM.

Allan4 07-26-2003 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Highmark
Without changing props you cannot gain speed without gaining RPM.
Funny how we overlook the simple stuff:D :D

I have heard from alot of people I respect that you CAN pickup a little bit by going to a full synthetic oil. I have done it in my boat and...to be honest, have not put it to the test yet. I just changed oil a few days ago.

Gonna give it a whirl today. Every little bit helps, but don't expect this to take place....it CAN, but each application is different....they allhave a mind of their own..:D :D

HyperBaja 07-26-2003 10:07 AM

I need synthetic....All in my quest to break 50. Will be 3.5mph away if I gain that 1.5 ;)

BobbyB 07-27-2003 08:27 AM

Hey 29outlaw the boat looked great yesterday when you pasted by me.

Luv-N-It 07-27-2003 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Allan4
Funny how we overlook the simple stuff:D :D

I have heard from alot of people I respect that you CAN pickup a little bit by going to a full synthetic oil. I have done it in my boat and...to be honest, have not put it to the test yet. I just changed oil a few days ago.

Gonna give it a whirl today. Every little bit helps, but don't expect this to take place....it CAN, but each application is different....they allhave a mind of their own..:D :D

A4, we were hoping for you to slow down a few mph so that we can read all those sweeeeeeeeet graphics on your boat;) Well, did you pick up any mph? Going to make it harder for us to see ya now come October @ Alum Creek.