Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Bja 420 accident in the Galveston TX area (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/58159-bja-420-accident-galveston-tx-area.html)

liquid asset 08-30-2003 08:53 PM

Bja 420 accident in the Galveston TX area

1 Attachment(s)
Very sorry to hear about the 420 Living Extra Fast,hitting a barge last tues or wens., We did a Poker run with these guys last year, our condolences to the family, that was a very beutiful boat,RIP

baja john 08-31-2003 03:37 PM

I would like to read the article if you could point me in the right direction.

liquid asset 08-31-2003 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll look for it

liquid asset 08-31-2003 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

Allan4 08-31-2003 06:03 PM

I just got theat sick feeling in my stomach.

What were the injuries??

liquid asset 08-31-2003 06:11 PM

http://www.click2houston.com/news/2440513/detail.html

liquid asset 08-31-2003 06:12 PM

Here are the salvage pics
http://www.seaquestmarine.net/gallery/bajasalvage.html

Need-the-Speed 08-31-2003 06:50 PM

I'm at a loss for words.........

Dock Holiday 08-31-2003 07:00 PM

That has to be the most damaged boat I have every seen.

Very sad.:(

Vyper340 09-01-2003 06:27 AM

Where is/was the barge? Was it lighted properly?

It appears that the driver had some tab down so it was probably a little rough when it happened...

liquid asset 09-01-2003 07:23 PM

I think the tab is broken,

Allan4 09-01-2003 09:32 PM

Geez......very sad. I have run at night by myself on the River around barges at times. Makes ya think......

I (and others in Cincy) have been griping about barges that are not properly lit, wonder if that was the case...

Just too bad.....

CigDaze 09-02-2003 07:22 AM

Very sad to see the total devastation. Condolences to the families involved. :(

Outlawcowgirl 09-02-2003 08:19 AM

That is just devastating to see. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Joe 09-04-2003 06:30 PM

If there's a good thing... it's that he didn't have kids or a family. However there is a fiance and many close friends who mourn his loss. The waves that night were minimal. Not real sure why the tab would have been down. Knowing him, he's an excellent and cautious driver. Strange the tab was down and the port outdrive was trimmed out much further than the other two. He wouldn't have made such a mistake -- unless it was a mechanical error. If he's passed away, God bless him! If he's not... God help him!

Turbojack 09-04-2003 06:38 PM

With the damage the boat has the trim/Drive buttons/Switchs could have been activated moving the drive/tab locations from where they were pre accident. I would not put to much into there locations after all this boat has been thru.

Macklin 09-04-2003 07:00 PM

There is a thread about this on the other 'fast boat' web site. Very informative. It explains how the boat was damaged more seriously by someone trying to tow it away before the Salvage company showed up causing worse damage.

liquid asset 09-04-2003 07:27 PM

the above stated is also in the link in post #7

Bust-a? 09-12-2003 04:44 PM

Maybe he is still alive????
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....93c4e56e.html

105mph_38_2003 09-15-2003 03:48 AM

hey Bust your link does'nt work...Have to be a member of KHOU's site to see it...

Did anyone hear the latest that this guy just took out a $4 mil loan and no body was found?? They think he jumped to escape prosecution...Is that what the link was for KHOU?

105mph_38_2003 09-15-2003 03:58 AM

Heres the story from the link:

Man missing after boating mishap is sued for millions

$4,000,000 was borrowed and not paid back

By Jeremy Desel / 11 News

SEABROOK – There's new information about a mystery involving a man missing for nearly two weeks after his boat hit a barge off Kemah. And authorities are hearing it may not have been an accident.

Mike Nixon was last seen at a boat dock in Seabrook. But nobody knows for sure if he is alive or dead. The one thing that is sure is that the legal work in the case is already piling up.

Friends of Nixon say he knows how to live. He loves life, especially when at the wheel of one of his boats, which was called "Living Extra Large."

"Everybody around here likes this guy. He's a well-known captain," says boater Daniel Huston. "The nicest guy in the world."

Nixon was last seen filling his gas tanks at a dock in Seabrook. Hours later the wreckage of his boat, Living Extra Fast, was found in the Ship Channel. That was two weeks ago. There's still no sign of Nixon or a body.

But 11 News has learned that financial pressures on Nixon were mounting before his disappearance.

Nixon ran a company called Delta Crane based in an office building on Egret Bay Boulevard. A Minnesota bank filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Harris County District Court against Larry Michael Nixon, his company Delta Crane and several others including Nixon's ex-wife.

The suit alleges: "On February 25, 2003 Larry Nixon executed a written agreement providing a line of credit for $4,000,000."

The money was used but not paid back prompting the Bank according to the lawsuit to take action: "On August 5, 2003 provided Larry Nixon a notice of default, On September 2 made a demand for payment."

Nixon's boat crashed on August 27 and no body was ever found.

But the bank isn't the only one asking questions about Nixon and his business dealings. "There have been some calls we have received here," says Bob Dogium with the Houston office of the FBI. "And just like any other allegation, it's just that, at least for right now, an allegation. But it's our responsibility to look into it, try to dig into it a little bit and see if there's not something there."

The FBI is not calling it an official investigation, merely what they would call a preliminary inquiry in the case.

The attorney for Mike Nixon's estate did not return calls from 11 News.

However, Nixon's ex-wife says she is distraught and needs time to grieve. And that could be difficult until they find a body or more answers in this case.

Bust-a? 09-17-2003 07:37 AM

The saga continues...
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori...o.31c088f.html

SEABROOK -- Did he die in an accident or flee the country? New details are emerging in that mystery involving a missing man last seen in Seabrook before his boat hit a barge off Kemah. Millions of dollars are swirling around this case.

There was not much left of the boat Living Extra Fast after it crashed into a barge in the ship channel on August 27. But no trace of the boat's owner, Mike Nixon, has ever surfaced.

In the wake of the crash there are more questions than answers. But what is sure is that there are millions of dollars in limbo. A lawsuit has already been filed accusing Nixon of reneging on a $4 million line of credit, notifications came just before the boat crash.

And there may be other money on the line as well. At least one, possibly two, personal loans of $500,000 each from other businessmen were issued just days before the crash. In addition several creditors required life insurance as a condition of doing business. That total is at least $5 million.

So depending on whom you talk to a range of $10 million to $12 million is in contention.

Nixon's attorney Scott Williams tells 11 News that there are several outstanding lawsuits that are also in legal limbo. Williams calls them normal business to business suits brought against Nixon or his company Delta Crane.

There are five or six suits outstanding and most have been in process for the last year or two. One case that is several years old is slated to go to trail in West Virginia next week but without a defendant.

Court records show the Nixon case has been entered into a probate court as is required by law. That happened on September 5. But with only circumstantial evidence of a death and no sign of any body a judge is going to have to decide the status in the case, essentially legally decide whether Mike Nixon is alive or dead. That could happen as soon as next week.

liquid asset 09-18-2003 07:44 PM

I heard some new stuff from locals, but I will not post until it surfaces, just incase it is false

liquid asset 10-07-2003 01:14 PM

Did anyone hear any more news on this?

FeverFan 10-07-2003 02:50 PM

I heard he was in Belize..........

I have NO idea though.

liquid asset 10-07-2003 03:04 PM

Thats what I heard also, from some people down your way