Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Baja vs PQ (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/61532-baja-vs-pq.html)

Lucky 10-15-2003 09:50 PM

Baja vs PQ

OK Guys,

Why should I buy the Baja 275 with 496HO instead of the PQ 260 Legend with 496HO.

I need help deciding if there is any real and major reason to pick one boat over the other.

Family boating on Lake St. Clair is basic usage.

Thanks,

Dave

Need-the-Speed 10-15-2003 11:19 PM

Think Resale. both great boats....BUT I would go with the Baja because they have a much better dealer network. In the event that you have to sell Im sure the frequency of Baja dealers (service) is much better than PQ. just my .2cents

PS. As far as Resale goes think NATIONALLY

Dock Holiday 10-16-2003 11:46 AM

The 272/275 has been Baja's highest selling boat for a long time. They are always in demand and easy to move.

They have proven to be a great all around both. I loved my 272.

Personally, and I'm not trying to offend anyone, just my opinion, but I think PowerQuest is overpriced for a boat with no more background history, or racing history.
They seem to be very well built, I looked at their 34 foot when we were buying, but they wanted too much. In this area they are not knwon very well and resale is poor. The guy that did buy the 34 we looked at has had it for sale for several months now.

Just my opinion.

Good luck, buy the one that you like best, after all it is your money!

Luv-N-It 10-16-2003 12:26 PM

I agree with Dock on everything, well almost everything, he he.

I have a 272 right now. I "luv" mine. It rides and handles typical lake water great. Easily trailerable too. I think the fuel effeciency with the 496 MAG HO is good too. I have a friend that has the same set-up you are looking at w/the Baja.

There is a guy who boats on the local lake here who has a 260. As I rode beside him, in his 260, it seemed like my 272 rode/handled better than his 260. I have not ridden on a 260, but I did consider buying a new one before buying my used 272. I am glad I bought the 272. It seems to me that the 272/275 has more room.

If I were you, I would water test each boat if possible. Take your time with your purchase. No need to rush it, if possible. Consider how you plan on using the boat? Overnight occaisionally? Do you have kids? Try and get a feel for the cockpit and cabin. These dealers will let you sit in these boats and get a "feel" before you purchase.

Are you buying new? How do you plan to option the boat? Prices? PQ and Baja are close to us for dealer/factory support. Just some things to think about.

Lucky 10-17-2003 08:13 AM

Thanks Guys,

this is the input type I was looking for. Price wise the dealers are so hungry to sell these boats with the economy I can get same price as a used 1-3 yr old boat and that is why I am concentrating on new or left over.

Yes the Baja is longer and you and I know every foot does add to ride performance.

If you think of any other differences let me know. I do have a family so the Outlaw was scratched off the list the instant my wife sat on it cause of cockpit size and headroom in cabin.

Keep it coming if you have more.

We boat on Lake St. Clair that just bounces the water with no rhyme or reason.

Luv-N-It 10-17-2003 08:58 AM

I have two kids. A girl who is 12 and a boy 5. It can get cramped at times when we overnight for the weekends. I wish we had a full camper enclosure on ours. That would allow more room at night when sleeping. Maybe you can get the dealers to add the full camper enclosure for you at a reduced price or for free if they are that hungry.

Right now, the wife and I use the cockpit cover and we sleep in the cockpit while the kids sleep in the cuddy. The boat is perfect for us on the weekends.

Since you are buying new, I know when I considered a new boat, typically you could figure 30-32% off sticker. Don't know the math anymore, but seriously, you could figure that much off. Don't let those people bullcrap you about that. I would think that you should still get the % plus some freebies now.

Keep asking away. Also, Baja has a great following here on this site.:cool:

29 OUTLAW 10-17-2003 09:29 AM

Re-sale - you don't want to have to explain to people what a Powerquest is and why it's a good boat.

One thing I've noticed about PQ - they use the same system of Plexus bonding of hull and deck as Baja.

Vyper340 10-17-2003 10:20 AM

29 Outlaw - that's only partially true. PQ does use Plexus but they also glass and through-bolt (the same as Formula). I personally witnessed this when they were building my 34. I'm not sure Baja does all three. You are correct about having to explain PQ... they simply have not been out there long enough and there are far fewer of them.

Lucky - One other thing to consider; Baja is striclty a production boat and they specialize in high volumes with little to nothing for customizing. My experience with PQ was that I could specify anything I wanted for colors, where what colors would be, options etc. Not many builders will allow you to "customize" your boat that way. Make of that what you will.

The real test for anyone looking to buy is test ride in your water conditions. Then you can see how it does and if the comfort/speed/handling level is what you want.

29 OUTLAW 10-17-2003 10:23 AM

Baja uses thru bolts on twin engine boats but not on singles.

CigDaze 10-17-2003 10:35 AM

Close...but Baja is not "strictly" a production builder. They will do whatever it is that you would choose to do including, but not limited to custom fab. parts, custom graphics, accessories, rigging, engines, you name it. All it takes is $$$

29Outlaw is right on.