Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Banana Boat
Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic? >

Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?

Notices

Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?

Old 07-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?

I think it says "Breakaway", but I'm not sure.
Do you know, or can we all generate a consensus?
It is currently named (ever so lamely) "Wet and Wild" and it may have a new name in about a week.
I'll keep ya'll posted
Thanks
Evan
Attached Thumbnails Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?-banana2.jpg  
Old 07-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?

Hey Evan:

Yes it is named "Breakaway" as I have other photos of it but the scanner has been down for a couple of weeks now... I'll post 'em as soon as I can.

Good Luck! What are you planning on doing if you buy her? Paint? Interior? Console?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

Hi Charlie, All,

I sent you a couple of indepth emails also last night, hopefully you will respond to them.

New Paint: Maybe next year: add a atand off bracket and clean up the transom area, paint hull, deck and motors

Reality: Compound and polish the paint and hopefully it will look passable

Brown Boot stripe takes a black tape stripe cover.

Brown carpet comes out, I like a bare cockpit sole and hopefully this one isn't stained beneath the carpet.

Upholstry: I have talked w my old upolstry guy who did my office furniture and Leather Corvette seats, In theory he can get it done in a day, while I'm down in the area, picking up the boat.
He quoted $500 for the cockpit and sun pad, and it would be easy to pull the carpet while the bolsters are out.
I wan't to go w lt grey or white, no stripes, strips or piping, just clean, fast, easy and cheap.
The big "IF" is IF he can do it on THAT particular day, and I'd probably kick in an extra $100 or $200 to get it done, and then go boating.

Windshield: coming off, replace w black Plexi in a few weeks depending on the projects at hand

Console: probably will only redo guage panel w new guages and more guages and lay them out the way i want, also a little down the road.

Name: since all the banana esque things are pretty much taken, and the boat is yelow, I'm thinking "Taxi, Taxi" or "School Bus", or put "West Linn Unified School District" on the sides.

AND...
I'm toying with a one off logo, Kinda like the one on Air Dog's hull, (which hopefully have been removed). BANANA in a oval, a siluhetted vertical, single banana fruit, much like the "Number 1" behind and maybe some small font above and below like "Don Aronow Design" DA above Banana, "Design" below, or, "Poor Man's Cigarette" the word cigarette below.
Maybe you will send some new "Banana" logo stickers to put a stop to this...

You guys probably couldn't sell that due to copyright infringments but I could getaway with some "one offs"

Evan

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Hey Evan:

Yes it is named "Breakaway" as I have other photos of it but the scanner has been down for a couple of weeks now... I'll post 'em as soon as I can.

Good Luck! What are you planning on doing if you buy her? Paint? Interior? Console?

Last edited by Dregsz; 07-09-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Registered

Evan:

Sounds great. The brown bootstripe is actually gelcoat. Yes I did get your e-mails and I'll write ya back next week - thanks for the ideas.

As far as the decals - we are making new ones now...I'll post some pics soon.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Registered

Hi Charlie /All
THe SF owner has been dragging his feet.
I only found out Friday that the pics he gave me/ I posted here, were three years old, and the boat has been sitting outside, uncovered the past 3 years since.
This info make me very uncomfortable about the boat, (and owner)

A clean 18' Donzi just came up and I'm giving the guy a deposit tonight.
Sorry to let the Banana crew down, I will be down there in a few weeks and can take some time to check out the boat.
If I decide I need to have it, the Donzi will be much more liquid.
Evan
Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered

Evan:

Sounds like a smart plan - honestly I don't see much life left in those old engines and I would hate to see you disappointed with your banana purchase - especially if it has been sitting outside uncovered for three years...OUCH! If it were me, I'd replace those engines with new ones. Let us know what it looks like now if you make it down there...and show us some pics of the Donzi when you get her home.

Regards,
Charlie Jr.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Registered

Here is the pic of the little black Donzi I'm picking up off ebay
Attached Thumbnails Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?-donzi.jpg   Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?-donzi2.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Evan

Just back from the weekend...got your PM's but it looks like you have made a decision.

However, you seem to be pretty focused on the actual top speed of the boat....second you are not really boating in any condition remotely like ocean conditions......so if you really want top speed for calm waters you should be looking at cats, not deep v boats.

You could probably get some great deals out there on the West coast for cats with outboards. That way you can get used to high speeds and get some experience at those speeds.

To get a deep v boat to run in one foot waves doesn't seem like the right decision. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

Thanks TB,
The cats that were almost in my price range are more like pickleforks.
The small Elimanators, Cougars and such out here are taking down big bucks.
I actually did make a decision and sent a deposit on the Donzi.

I'm thinking of camming and higher ratio roller rockers to get the RPMs up to spin a steeper prop and get it up over 70 MPH.
It has a 21P cleaver which can't be right for the boat.
I'd like to be spinning a 26P mirage or such. (coming from an outboard mind set) (I happen to have one right here.)

The 20' tunnel hull I just sold just takes a beating in even small wakes, anything bigger then a runabout, I need to see the chiropractor every time I get out of it.
I probably could have had that boat up over 80mph with a little more set up. but I'm happier it is leaving.

I think the 18' Donzi I/O will work out ok for a river/lake boat.
If I decide I don't like it, there is always a good market for Donzis, and I'm buying it low enough not to loose too much money.
I'm still going to see the 24' Banana in about 3 weeks. I spoke to the owner today.

Funny, even though one doesn't need an offshore boat for the Wilamette or Columbia river, (which can get quite snotty), there is no shortage of big Fountains here.

Thanks for your reply
Evan
Attached Thumbnails Charlie, Do you know the name of the boat in this pic?-dannaboat.jpg  
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregsz
AND...
I'm toying with a one off logo, Kinda like the one on Air Dog's hull, (which hopefully have been removed). BANANA in a oval, a siluhetted vertical, single banana fruit, much like the "Number 1" behind and maybe some small font above and below like "Don Aronow Design" DA above Banana, "Design" below, or, "Poor Man's Cigarette" the word cigarette below.
Maybe you will send some new "Banana" logo stickers to put a stop to this...

You guys probably couldn't sell that due to copyright infringments but I could getaway with some "one offs"

Evan
Shortly after having the cigarette decals made a four years ago, I designed a new logo just as you described. It had "Banana Boat" written in navy blue with a yellow banana behind it where the ( 1 ) would be on a cigarette and I then wrote "Legendary Offshore" above it and "Racing Team" below it in gray lettering.

Looked great! I was gonna have them made, then I met Charlie, Jr and learned that he and his dad were gonna resurrect the Banana Boat company and they would come up with a new logo.

Figured I'd wait for the proper ID...