Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...what a steal..are crazing going thru manhattan
Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
Killer deal!!! WOW
Thanks, it's funny even if this was a "whatever brand" boat...the way it is built (still amazed how strong it is), the way it is rigged, etc... I would still be excited with it for the price....now about that paint scheme...hmmm, maybe next year it will look different...because it IS Ugly...in a funky, acid trippy kind of way. My wife loves it, so do my friends..all are begging me not to change it. I will say it looks better in person and MUCH better on the water. But I am a Classic styling kind of guy. Would prefer it painted like the Lip-Ship 20 on their website....that is ART!

Originally Posted by quicklt1
wow...what a steal..are crazing going thru manhattan
No kiddding.. I made it in "OK" ...on the way out it was a feakin nightmare...think of going Merrick Road to Southern Parkway...with people yellin at me to get the Dually/Boat off of the "Passenger Car only" road...finally got off and got directed to 21? (thru something out a NY Cop TV show), really had no clue where to go...decided to start follwing some trucks down 21 for 5 miles (for an HOUR)... and got on I-278 West.

Neither my Truck GPS or Google Maps could tell you what roads were "passenger car only" crap or NOT...never seen that before! I was just following Google Nav and my Ford Nav.

I now know why guns and pistols are regulated or outlawed there..... it was more than tempting on MANY occasions..

Funny, I am 52 and I ran more redlights in a 1.5 hour period on 21 than I have the rest of my life combined.....what a cluster....how do people live there???

I know, I know, I sound like a dumb country boy (I am), but I lived in Atlanta for 20 years, and many other "civilized" places including Bermuda.

It was so nice to get back home to where my County Seat is only 250 people, (yeah, no typo 250 people)....and stretch out on my 10 acres of wooded paradise next to the Blue Ridge Parkway!!!

BUT, it was worth it add some "Mountain Thunder" to the lakes around here! :-)

OH, quick youtube vid of it being lifted off that crappy trailer it was on. I wouldn't have trusted that trailer around the block, much less 12 hours back home... Funny, Paul at Aqua said the same thing and was glad I had my own trailer.

I could have sworn I recorded a vid of it running..but it is gone from my phone.. Grrrr Will make another later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ua8oLnT-w

BTW, Trust me , the pics online did not do it justice in person..you can see what I mean a little in the video.

Still can't believe I bought a Black, Lime Green, Bananna Yellow, fushia stripped boat with "Lap Dancer" on the side of it......had to have been an acid flashback.

Last edited by 928Droid; 08-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

OH, just realized in my excitement this the Banana Forum area, may apologies.

Back to the 80 "Ebay Banana"... this thing was a mess IMHO...it was just a pretty waterline to deck paint job that would make a lot of people be blinded to the real conditon.

When I saw the hatches messed up (tweaked and wouldn't close/seal on one outboard side), and after crawling under it and inspecting the hull (very rough)...I already knew it was gonna be bad the more I looked.

It was one sub-standard thing after another, flimsy falling apart engine hatch etc.. and hen I went in the cabin to see what was up with hatch I start pulling back carpet (it was already loose) and the "support" between the fuel tank and cabin was nothing but and empty shell, basicaly fiberglass with the inside wood completely GONE....you could push it back and forth any where on that panel and it moved like limp noodles..I could have pierced it anywhere with my pinky finger..

The more places I looked the worse it got...and when I saw that both engine stringers were ripped completely out of the bulkhead between the rear bench and one was leaving to one side towards the middle...no kidding, at least 20 degrees...and it was obvious this thing was toast.

I bet anyone $100, if you unbolted the engine mount from that stringer it would fall into the bilge..I kid you not.

Someone mentioned restoring this thing...why? IF it was a REAL "Charlie Banana" I said heck yes.. but being a Brunswick (BOV) and from the way it was built (especially after looking at the CIG 24...geeezzzzzz not even on the same planet)..WHY?

The only great thing about the boat was the Bolster and Bench seats and engine pad....I would have paid good money for those, they were actually in very nice shape for being old.

I am sure the motor is worth something??..but with the rest of the boat being in the condition it was,.. I wouldn't trust that motor to take me 5 miles rom a boat ramp..too much of an "unknown" for me.

Nuff said about that one, but I am grateful that the "Liptick on a Pig" got me up there to see "Lap Dancer"...funny I was already wishing I had checked it out first before sending a deposit on the Ebay one...I even had Aqua Marina pulled up on my GPS to go see it and to take some pics after getting the other one. Funny how things are meant to be work out.. sometimes. LOL

Concerning the Banana at Aqua, I didn't look at the HIN, but pretty sure it is a Bridgeport? Banana, FWTW. It did appear solid, but I didn't use my titanium probe(old "SF tools" are handy for lots of things) on it to check it for sure:-).

Odd thing... it had the cleats on the side of the hull instead of the top of the deck...and other such oddities..didn't look much farther since it was an OB.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

928droid,

Congrats to a very very cool boat. I was at Aqua Marina 3 weeks ago and I was close to give John a offer.

But I was just in to make a move on JC's 32 Activator.

Keep us posted on this classic rare boat.

Thanks for a cool story as well

Mange
Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mange
928droid,

Congrats to a very very cool boat. I was at Aqua Marina 3 weeks ago and I was close to give John a offer.

But I was just in to make a move on JC's 32 Activator.

Keep us posted on this classic rare boat.

Thanks for a cool story as well

Mange
Will definitely be posting updates (in the correct area :-).. it will most likely be restored back to at least the original "spirit" of the design.

Was very happy to see the original Dashboard is completely intack and in excellent shape under the metal "custom" dash.....and the people who added the custom stuff seemed to have done it responsibly and it will be easily reversed to the original....although I prefer a right hand drive boat, I may have to switch to LHD since that is how it is/as originally...not sure yet on that.

Already ripped out the add on board and foot pedal stuff under the dash (all that stuff was just plain plywood anyway and not to my standards)...looking for a nice Zero Effort , or even a more classic control system. Let me know if you guys see a good deal on those.

The add on fuel tank etc comes out next, will give a lot more room in the cabin area for my wife, my 120 GSD and myself for overnighting. Once that stuff is out the "below Aronow standards" stuff will be gone...and there will be no worries about "wet bare wood" any longer.

IF you guys don't mind there is a thread in the CIG area something like "CIG 24 Lap Dancer, Good, Bad, or Ugly" that might be more approriate for us to talk about the 24, at least until I start a new thread there.

Thanks !!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That banana dropped price to 6300 and now its not on CL anymore... i still doubt he sold it though.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

928Droid - Congrats on a great boat... If I would have known he would have taken such a hit on the price... I saw it advertised at $16,000... I would have pulled the trigger with no hesitation!!!

Congrats again on a wonderful boat!!!