Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and Ghost is 7 ft beam
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Thanks sp123,

Any mastery I appear to have comes from making lots of mistakes. My pursuit of speed has always been secondary to the balance and trim of the boat. Aviation has taught me the importance of weight and balance and honing surface area for the best coefficient of lift.

That being said, my giant V8 single outboard set up knowledge was because I am a student of MrV8outboard.

In the late 90's I spend time talking set up with Pepe from Pantera when I was not getting the results I wanted. He was great resource when I couldn't find any information on the banana, but his boats are 7' wide.

I think you need to answer one more question before you make your decision.

1. Running costs: Twins will cost more on fuel, oil and maintenance.
2. Set up costs: Twin brackets are more if that is what you want.
3. Type of power: Are they twin 200's?
4. How important is speed? If it is all that matters, go twin.

Here are the facts regardless of what you here.

Single - If you have a fully built up v8 muscle engine built to 400hp on a 17" Porta Bracket turning a 26p chopper your gonna go 74mph on a stock bottom of the hull. If you flip the boat over and blueprint it, then you will gain a bit more.

Twin - If you bolt twin stock (2.4 or 2.5) 200hp mercs to the transom you will go 65mph. If you jack it with 5" manual plates and run 26p choppers, then you will go 70mph. If you build the engines then depending on what you do, you could get as high as 90mph, but that is just what I have heard.

Single Bracket: The perfect bracket is the 17' Porta bracket. Keep in mind that if you run a v8 with out any support on the transom, it will take it's toll if you spend most of your time 4 feet above the ovean like I did.

Twin Bracket; The best set up is 5" jack plates on the transom. Twins on a long bracket will f#ck up the balance of the boat. You can solve it by adding some weight to the nose, but now your boat is heavier. If you do go this route, go porta bracket tiwn bracket with the platform as it adds the most transom support.

Hope I helped.

Chris
Hey airdog,

Would would you say balance should be on a 24' cig hull center console boat with twin merc 225s on a stainless marine bracket? Would a fat sack in the nose for ballast straighten out the weight and balance issue? Bc there is certainly an issue, she is squirly and down right dangerous the way it is. Would 150lbs do it? Looking for any and all the help I can get on this issue. I can raise the engines 2 more bolt holes but it looks like the x dimensions are around where they should be. It has low water pickups already so that is not an issue for me. The guy I bought boat from said it did 74mph with 8 people on the boat. I question the 74mph but also think it may take that much weight to stabilize it. It is running 23 pitch laser props. Someone told me to try the new tempest props, said that may solve some of my problems. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trojan-man
Hey airdog,

Would would you say balance should be on a 24' cig hull center console boat with twin merc 225s on a stainless marine bracket? Would a fat sack in the nose for ballast straighten out the weight and balance issue? Bc there is certainly an issue, she is squirly and down right dangerous the way it is. Would 150lbs do it? Looking for any and all the help I can get on this issue. I can raise the engines 2 more bolt holes but it looks like the x dimensions are around where they should be. It has low water pickups already so that is not an issue for me. The guy I bought boat from said it did 74mph with 8 people on the boat. I question the 74mph but also think it may take that much weight to stabilize it. It is running 23 pitch laser props. Someone told me to try the new tempest props, said that may solve some of my problems. Thanks in advance for the help
I did not know that cigarette made a 24 ft center console post some pixs please
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Registered

They didn't as far as I know. It is an action marine. Some how those folks got their hands on a cig or banana 24 Mold etc. i dont think there are very many out there, i have only seen 2. While it was not build anywhere near the ruggedness of those boats it's the same hull. Main difference is the first lifting strake stops about half way down whereas the cig and bananas go all the way to the transom. I can't post pics on here, maybe my account is just registered or I can't do it from my iPhone. Regardless any info would be appreciated. In going to order ballast bags for the bow. I will be adding hydraulic steering soon, this current system is not cutting it
Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered

Hey airdog,

Would would you say balance should be on a 24' cig hull center console boat with twin merc 225s on a stainless marine bracket? Would a fat sack in the nose for ballast straighten out the weight and balance issue? Bc there is certainly an issue, she is squirly and down right dangerous the way it is. Would 150lbs do it? Looking for any and all the help I can get on this issue.

How much set back is the bracket?

Why did you sell your I/O banana after all the work you put into it?

Are your props turning in or out?

If they turn in then you will get a bit more speed and a cool rooster tail when you go to get on plane, but it will be less stable.

Turn then out and it will help it be less squirly.

C
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Hey airdog,

Thanks for the input. Currently has a setback of around 30" on a stainless marine bracket with 98-225efi's. Also the props currently spin outward. Was thinking raise or lower motors, and try different props. It feels like it bow steers but when I trim up the bow gets flighty and uncontrollable and tends to hunt in one direction. This is from about 45-60 mph. The boat has a notched transom, so somebody added the bracket later in it's life.

Selling my prized black banana was probably one of my biggest mistakes. I was looking for a family boat, and I thought a cc was the way to go. I got excited when I found this setup, just want to try and dial her in alittle
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Registered

Hey airdog,

Thanks for the input. Currently has a setback of around 30" on a stainless marine bracket with 98-225efi's. Also the props currently spin outward. Was thinking raise or lower motors, and try different props. It feels like it bow steers but when I trim up the bow gets flighty and uncontrollable and tends to hunt in one direction. This is from about 45-60 mph. The boat has a notched transom, so somebody added the bracket later in it's life.

Selling my prized black banana was probably one of my biggest mistakes. I was looking for a family boat, and I thought a cc was the way to go. I got excited when I found this setup, just want to try and dial her in alittle

Correction **** 24" bracket, measures 27.5" from transom to back of motor mount
Old 11-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My 24 had a 300 v8 rude on a 24 gil bracket went 62 and my buddy had his on transom 62 !!!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I would go twim mercs if i did it again
Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Registered

Here is how mine was rigged. Twin 200's on the transom with K planes 85 mph and smooth