Something to mull over.... >

Something to mull over....

Notices

Something to mull over....

Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something to mull over....

As I am theorizing about my new project build.

I have been planning on building my Banana with bracketed OB power. I have been looking at brackets, even came up with a few designs of my own.

This weekend, I was told about an upcoming deal, and that I may want to jump on it for parts for my build.

Its in an older boat and the guy needs out, 496HO merc, <200hrs all FWC'ed bravo drive. Entire power package is about 2 years old.
I could pick this thing up really cheap.

I was about it through a friend, I was told to buy it rip out the power pack for the Banana. then sell off the hull for what ever I could get for it.

What type of numbers would we be looking at with a 496HO?

Last edited by Knot Pursuit; 07-21-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

that motor has approx. 425 hp. I would figure you would run about 73 mph or so... depending on props.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that doing an outboard boat would be more expensive and also wouldnt be balanced as well as in inboard.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

balance is a question. One think I like about a bracketed OB setup would be the ability to extend my cockpit by moving the bulkhead back a bit.

I really have to say, the boat looks soooo much cleaner with IO power. No big bulky thing hanging out back.

70+ mph is moving for sure. my ultimate goal is to achieve the mid 60 range, and have a safe and comforable boat. I will not complain if its faster. At this point, I have no desire to push into or exceed the 80mph mark. I do have a budget to adhere to, and its shoe string at best.

I hope this other boat pans out, it would be a huge step toward my build, with out killing the budget.

I am really looking forward to the build, Im getting antsy about it. I have to wrap up a few other projects first.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

If it's the boat in thinking of make sure it's solid. Stingers transom. I looked at a couple for a guy in jersey not to long ago. In any event good luck with the build
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Registered

What boat are you thinking of?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...ana-102-a.html

thats my project. I will be checking every inch of the boat before I build. Its easy now to cut out stringers and the transom as the top is not on the boat. I am thining of cutting all of this out regardless, and re-fabricating all of it from coosa or similar.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM
Registered

Hi,
My boat hit 79 as best.
I ran it with a merc 525.
Mine was heavy and perhaps the water wasnt that salty as yours Will be.
I think My stringers were cut down when they tried to put the top on. IT didnt fit.. Hope you dont have that problem.
Good luck with the project and post pics as you go along.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wood is stronger and cheaper but dont try to reinvent the wheel if its solid go with it.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Knot I took your post incorrect , I was thinking you were buying an older banana with the 425 striping the power selling and going OB, I looked at a white with red stripe with a similar package stingers and transom has been very soft . My fault misunderstood good luck with your project I have seen that boat for sale a long time. 16500 I believe was the start asking price. Glad you bought it realistic. And good luck , if you need a hand ect let me/us oso guys know.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Registered

SS, no worries about the misunderstanding.

Pasta, I have read through your project several times, and I will be using your build as a reference as I go forward with mine.

Sparky, I really hope my stringers are good, I really dont feel like gutting a the hull. If I go over to the some hybrid composite material, it would probably be 2" wide plus several layers of glass, and all of it being fully vacuum bagged/resin infused in place. Its good to know that I have the equipment to do this if I have to, not that I want to.

Tom