Default Re: Stolen Spectre 30

Just hope that you find the boat intact.It really sucks
Old 01-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we have a lead... Thank you everyone for your help.
I will keep you all posted as the day unfolds.

I do know that finding the vessel may be the hard part, but getting someone to be legally responsible and punishable is another...
Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

get'um tiger....
Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered

Lexluther, was there any evidence on the videotape that you mentioned? Glad to hear there is some investigative progress. You see, law enforcement is not so bad.

I want to address something that you said since this thread has turned into a basic debate over proactive/reactive policing versus civil rights:

Originally Posted by Lexluther
Just remember one thing when it comes to suspicion or pursuit....If the efforts of any authority such as police, airport security and such are wasted on non-sense, well it is safe to say that the bad guy has that much more time to get away..
First of all, do you know what the biggest waste of police time is? FALSE ALARMS. Statistics show that 99% of residential and business alarms are FALSE.

Stopping a car is a much more productive means of proactive (or preventative) law enforcement than many of the daily calls for service that are a pure waste of time, like alarms.

The traditional approach to crime control was a reactive approach or, waiting for calls for service before acting. (This is the opposite of proactive patrol).

There has always been debate and and a fine line between these issues. The reactive approach for example, ensures that the police don't intrude too deeply into citizens lives and that when they do, they focus on the reason they were summoned.

These are just some of the many problems of the nature of policing, and this is how this whole thread went into debate.

People want proactive policing when their boat is stolen, they shout "where were those no good police at the donut shop?"

But then if they are stopped themselves in their Corvettes, people shout why aren't the police out doing proactive work and catching bad guys. You know that you were doing no crime, but the police don't know that until they have an opportunity to speak with you.

Motor vehicle stops are proactive policing and they are huge portion of how bad guys are caught. Your boat was towed away by a motor vehicle.

Motor vehicle stops are also a very important part of traffic safety.

I'll give you a funny example relating to this.

A few years ago, parents were in an uproar in my city after a child was struck near a school bus stop. They demanded better enforcement of traffic laws. As a result, I was instructed that my detail for the first two hours of the shift would be to enforce traffic in that area. The first summons I wrote was a parent stopping in the middle of the street to pick of four kids. She stopped her car in the middle of a two lane road obstructing traffic and forcing her kids to board from the roadway. The next summons I wrote was, you guessed it, a PARENT with a child in the back seat, passing the school bus while the stop signs were out.

The same people demanding that the police should do something, were the biggest offenders. But then when stopped I'm sure those parents were thinking I should be out fighting crime.

Last edited by at100plus; 01-06-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Any body know who "EVILWAYS" is. Hope the rest of your are optimistic. Somebody else could be the next target. ANy and all help will be greatly appreciated and certainly foolowed up. We have a great lead.

Certainly when it comes to a theif, they can get pretty creative. Even the best deterrents aren't always enough. And just for the record, it has not been a week yet and won't be until Sunday, so all hope is not lost. One think is for sure, I would not want somebody that pessismistic in my camp...
Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
BK
Registered

I have absolute full respect for all law enforcement officers. I've had my share of citations, and I deserved every single one. (Well... all but one - running 61 mph on a 55 mph hwy )

Anyway...

Back when I was in my early 20's, there was a new officer in my small town who was a friend of my friends.

He had been asking me out ever since he got out of the Navy a few years prior. I had no interest.

So when he became a police officer with a squad car, he enjoyed pulling me over every chance he got. It was his only way to get my full attention, so he could woo me with his wit and find out what plans I had for the weekend.

I didn't look like Lexluther - but I was 21, 5'3", brunette in a yellow VW bug.

Every time I saw lights in my rear view mirror it scared the holy bejeezus out of me...but then I'd see Dan come walking up with his flashlight, smiling. Ugh!

But one time, I was leaving a bar and had just pulled out of the parking lot - I wasn't drunk, but did have a few drinks, so I was really scared that I was going to be in big trouble.

Dan pulled me over right in front of that nightclub (small town and I knew everybody who was leaving and watching me get pulled over) and I just glared at Dan. Embarrassing.

I let him know this was really getting to be TOO much. It might be a fun game for him, but certainly was not fun for me.

I could have turned him in for these antics, but I lived in a very small town and doing something like would have the town turn on you in a heartbeat. (Dan's mom was my 3rd grade teacher. That's how small this town - Kingman, AZ - was back then).

The last time I saw Dan was when I was hanging out with some friends at a drive-in window where they worked. I was parked at the window when Dan pulled up behind me and got out to come "question me".

As he was shining the flashlight in my face, a lady with a dog came walking up and said she was stranded with no car, and her husband was in the nearby hospital - the hospital wouldn't let her stay because the dog was barking. She was scared and didn't know what to do.

I looked at Dan and said, "Think she could stay at the police station tonight?". He said "Call St. Vincents", walked back to his car and left! Grr.

It was 1am, so I drove the lady & her dog to the police station, gave her some cash, and dropped her off so she'd be safe.

I don't know what ever happened to Dan. I know that he wasn't on the police force for very long though.

But just shows there are some strange ones in every profession. But I have 10 good cop stories for every bad experience.

Like the really cute officer who unexpectedly came to my house a week after being in an accident - just to see how I was doing! He even remembered my address. How cool is that? My mother told me she worked in the same office with his wife. So I made sure my mom told her what a sweet husband she had

Last edited by BK; 01-06-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

We definetely need cops. Most are good but some are bad. I have some friends who are cops, detectives, port authority etc.

Unfortuately the legal system in NJ has become a revenue stream for the state. Fact is, we have a lot of overhead to support one the most corrupt systems in the nation.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by EVILWAYS
You guys should just face it all ready that boat is gone!!!!!! Its been a week and nothing, the guys who took that boat knew what that were doing. Next time you should lock up your boats better. But good luck any way.
Whats with the smiley face ???
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Whats with the smiley face ???
I was wondering the same thing. Evilways - did you do it, or are you just glad someone's boat was stolen?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILWAYS
Next time you should lock up your boats better.
If someone really wants to steal something they'll do it no matter what.

Quick Reply: Stolen Spectre 30

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.