Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Beware and Stolen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen-183/)
-   -   Human Nature (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen/229792-human-nature.html)

pasquesi 05-05-2010 09:36 AM

Human Nature

Here we are again. Another scammer/conman/grifter/poser has been exposed. With the latest developments on the SOS king being dethroned, I began to wonder a little about human nature. For the record, I respected Sunkin and never once thought he was a liar. I trusted Fred Cecil, and my wallet is forever lighter for that trust. I followed the tales of Big Scotty, and never doubted his credibility. Only now, when I look back on the posts made by these guys, I'm amazed at how gullible we all are. It's so obvious now. PURE H O R S E S H I T!

Let's all list out top ten reasons for being suspicious about anyone who posts online.

offshoredrillin 05-05-2010 09:38 AM

one upping, no matter what you have done, the person has always done something bigger and better.

Frequency 05-05-2010 09:53 AM

I know a few boaters that have never posted online. Those that do tend to know others that do. If someone acts as though they are highly visible and they don't tie in other known online people when detailing their activities: there's a sign. :)

Catastrophe 05-05-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Frequency (Post 3102494)
I know a few boaters that have never posted online. Those that do tend to know others that do. If someone acts as though they are highly visible and they don't tie in other known online people when detailing their activities: there's a sign. :)

Excellent Point

Anyone that uses the credibility of others to gain respect rather than use their own past history.
Dropping ICON names and BUILDER names as close friends or business associates.

mikes280 05-05-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Frequency (Post 3102494)

dead on , you know we all like pictures and we tend to show off our toys with pics . So when some one comes on with no pics EVER it may be time to start wondering what the real truth is.

Neverfastenuf 05-05-2010 01:45 PM

It's the internet. Identities can be camouflaged easily. Character resumes can be fabricated and embellished at will. It is sad to see the need to exaggerate ones own identity just to satisfy an internal lack of confidence or well being.

Even though there is significant difference between Fred and Chris, they are both prime examples of skewed integrity.

I still choose to put faith in others. There are far more that have integrity and honesty than those who choose the path of deception and illusion. Trust is something that is earned. Ironically that can only be done when given the opportunity to earn said trust. And that takes risk. One in which we all engage. Cyber space has changed many facets of trust and integrity, no doubt. To expect high standards of integrity and trust on the internet pushes that trust factor. To let it consume one is futile at best.

Sam

TexomaPowerboater 05-05-2010 05:51 PM

If they say they have a boat and their posting on a holiday - red flag.

If they brag about how many other boats they have ridden on - red flag

If they have a fleet of boats yet can be found posting every single weekend - red flag. If you have a fleet of boats you should be working on them or enjoying them on the weekends.

Have a boat and don't post a single pic or video - red flag. Everybody likes to brag.

If they say they have a boat and never talk about repairing it - red flag.

Comanche3Six 05-05-2010 07:47 PM

When they know more than Albert Einstein

Comanche3Six 05-05-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by catastrophe (Post 3102499)
Excellent Point

Anyone that uses the credibility of others to gain respect rather than use their own past history.
Dropping ICON names and BUILDER names as close friends or business associates.

Now there is one of the traits of a seasoned "Con Man"
Look Out! Cause this guy is moving in the shadows and going in for the kill..........

Interceptor 05-06-2010 07:53 AM

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...d-reading.html

Read the above, almost like he's crying out for help.