Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Beware and Stolen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen-183/)
-   -   Beware!! Crooks!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen/297956-beware-crooks.html)

bubba16 06-10-2013 10:35 PM

Beware!! Crooks!!!

I got my boat in January 2013, shrink-wrapped and uncovered it in March, only to be shocked by all the marks on the boat, that I originally thought to be dirt on the deck of the boat. However, when I went to remove this "dirt" with a cleaner it did not come off. These were markings on my boat, that were not shown to me in pictures previously. I called Casey numerous times, and he finally got back to me denying that the marks were never there. As I had two painters look at the boat, I was told the dirt was in the gelcoat and it would not come off and Legend Marine insists it was never there. It would cost $4000 to paint the boat and $1500 to ship it to a shop where I live. They offered me $1000, which I refused and sent the boat to get painted on my own. While the boat was being painted I also made them check the port motor, which the alarm kept going off when I started the motor and they took the motor apart because they heard the noise too and sent me pictures of a water line along the cylinders. Also, the 5 cylinder and 7 cylinder were worn away completely, and they welded the headers to the head of the motor, which is how the mechanic came to realize there was a problem. As he kept checking the boat, more and more problems kept unfolding in which I was not aware of when purchasing the boat. I am now $16,000 in the hole, due to repairing this boat. I am not on speaking terms with Legend Marine right now, they are very unreasonable and did not want to help me with anything. They just take your money and run!

Mtuned 06-10-2013 10:45 PM

Wow, post up the photos! Sorry to hear about this! Classic scams from dealers!

This is why we need to check the boards first and deal with the good guys here!

FIXX 06-10-2013 10:48 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by bubba16 (Post 3940629)
I got my boat in January 2013, shrink-wrapped and uncovered it in March, only to be shocked by all the marks on the boat, that I originally thought to be dirt on the deck of the boat. However, when I went to remove this "dirt" with a cleaner it did not come off. These were markings on my boat, that were not shown to me in pictures previously. I called Casey numerous times, and he finally got back to me denying that the marks were never there. As I had two painters look at the boat, I was told the dirt was in the gelcoat and it would not come off and Legend Marine insists it was never there. It would cost $4000 to paint the boat and $1500 to ship it to a shop where I live. They offered me $1000, which I refused and sent the boat to get painted on my own. While the boat was being painted I also made them check the port motor, which the alarm kept going off when I started the motor and they took the motor apart because they heard the noise too and sent me pictures of a water line along the cylinders. Also, the 5 cylinder and 7 cylinder were worn away completely, and they welded the headers to the head of the motor, which is how the mechanic came to realize there was a problem. As he kept checking the boat, more and more problems kept unfolding in which I was not aware of when purchasing the boat. I am now $16,000 in the hole, due to repairing this boat. I am not on speaking terms with Legend Marine right now, they are very unreasonable and did not want to help me with anything. They just take your money and run!

heads up,,its vary hard to ware away a cylinder,it may have been a little work but for it to not be their is most likely not the case..also it is impossible to weld a ss header to a cast iron cylinder head....it sounds like you may a bad decision and did not get the boat checked out and it most likely a salt water boat that was not takin care of..now if it was me i would not have put all that money in the boat and would have drove it through legends front door truck and all and then set fire to it..

ps sorry to hear you got burned and it really sucke..

phragle 06-11-2013 12:03 AM

So you never looked at the boat to originally see the marks and you didn't have it started and ran or surveyed? And aside from some rocket science elctrobeam welding you aren't going to glue headers to heads. Im not saying you didn't get the short end, just that things aren't totally making sense. And you would be surprised at the marks you can get out of gelcoat with some elbow grease and a buffer. Simple green and a sponge wont do it, but with the right stuff.....

dsparis 06-11-2013 08:18 AM

No survey ? Caveat emptor.

mr3dman 06-11-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 3940667)
So you never looked at the boat to originally see the marks and you didn't have it started and ran or surveyed? And aside from some rocket science elctrobeam welding you aren't going to glue headers to heads. Im not saying you didn't get the short end, just that things aren't totally making sense. And you would be surprised at the marks you can get out of gelcoat with some elbow grease and a buffer. Simple green and a sponge wont do it, but with the right stuff.....

I agree. So many people get burned by not doing the simplest due diligence. You are spending thousands of dollars on something but won't spend a few dollars to either check the item out yourself or hire a competent 3rd party (not a guy recommended by the dealer)?? Sure, we all wish sales were 100% honest but it is the world we live in and people get screwed. I feel for you, but it is your own fault you got burned here. Only way I would buy sight unseen is with a bow to stern warranty on everything

CDN 1 06-11-2013 08:39 AM

Sounds like its going to Be Nice when done.
welcome to BOAT N. Break Out Another Thousand Now......:whistle:

obnoxus 06-11-2013 08:47 AM

I agree let the buyer beware.

BUT that should be soothed somewhat by buying from what should be a trustworthy ( I know ) large dealer,,,,,and not some boat you found off of craigslist.

gofastlvr 06-11-2013 10:19 AM

I thought it was BOATT.... Break Out Another Ten Thousand!!

Maybe that is just me!

t500hps 06-11-2013 11:24 AM

Sounds like the OP bought the boat from great distance and unseen. I too have done that but had a surveyor go over the boat for me before purchase. I remember once being a little pissed I had spent $600-700 having a boat checked out only to find it had major problems. Then I realized that money was well spent cause what if I HAD BOUGHT IT!!!!!

Get used stuff checked out, I trust everyone....but verify for myself.