Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Beware and Stolen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen-183/)
-   -   Warning!! Surveyor Ed Cozzi (Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc.) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen/348424-warning-surveyor-ed-cozzi-performance-marine-surveyors-inc.html)

klawans 07-15-2017 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4569138)
getting transport before survey is kind of a$$ backwards.

ICDEDPPL- It would typically be a$$ backwards however if you knew I was going to buy the boat unless major issues were discovered (which I didn't expect), then you probably wouldn't have passed on that judgement and understood why I scheduled the transport.

Griff 07-15-2017 12:44 AM

IMO, this is post is completely ridiculous as were your expectations.
I can't believe you expected a premier boat surveyor with a stellar reputation to be able to fly out of state and complete a full survey with only 3 days notice.
The only thing Ed did was not call you back because he was too busy, most likely completing other surveys. You had a couple phone calls with him and one 5 minute discussion. You didn't have a contract or a deposit. To come here and bash somebody who is long time respected OSO member because you didn't plan ahead and put the cart before the horse with your transporter is YOUR fault.

Its fine for you to not recommend him, but to say "his word is obviously worth nothing" is borderline slanderous.

sprsptr 07-15-2017 06:10 AM

For what it is worth - getting a survey done in season is usually a week or two proposition. If the seller can not provide a recent survey you should get one, even post purchase. Most likely your insurance company will require one. Good luck with your new boat!

Indy 07-15-2017 06:54 AM

Ed is pretty legendary around here, he's helped me a few times even though it was not a paying situation. That being said, a return call would have been nice.

thirdchildhood 07-15-2017 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4569163)
IMO, this is post is completely ridiculous as were your expectations.
I can't believe you expected a premier boat surveyor with a stellar reputation to be able to fly out of state and complete a full survey with only 3 days notice.
The only thing Ed did was not call you back because he was too busy, most likely completing other surveys. You had a couple phone calls with him and one 5 minute discussion. You didn't have a contract or a deposit. To come here and bash somebody who is long time respected OSO member because you didn't plan ahead and put the cart before the horse with your transporter is YOUR fault.
Its fine for you to not recommend him, but to say "his word is obviously worth nothing" is borderline slanderous.

I must disagree. The internet is a great tool for getting the word out when one has a bad business experience. Respected or not, if the OP's story is accurate then Ed blew it. He should have just said he can't do it. JMO

frickstyle 07-15-2017 09:21 AM

Wait a minute, you made plans to have it surveyed on the sellers side, lined it all up, scheduled it, set up transport, had the boat ready to show, and THEN decided to line up a surveyor, without him (Ed) committing to it prior and you're pissed?

That seems a little backwards. You should have had a second surveyor lined up in case the first one fell through if you were that pressed for time. That's not fair to slander his name as you have here.

I would say it's just poor planning on your part. Lesson learned.

"Failure to plan on your part, doesn't make it a priority for me."

boatnt 07-15-2017 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 4569206)
Wait a minute, you made plans to have it surveyed on the sellers side, lined it all up, scheduled it, set up transport, had the boat ready to show, and THEN decided to line up a surveyor, without him (Ed) committing to it prior and you're pissed?."

No that is not what he is saying,,he is pissed because he never got a phone back after he was told we would like 3 times..not hard to follow I dont think

frickstyle 07-15-2017 10:35 AM

Then the guy was busy and he should have moved on, how long was he willing to wait? Sounded like he only had a few days. I Understand the situation, but to bash someone so hard over a few non-returned calls is a little harsh.

I had the same situation this week, guy didn't call me back, AFTER I spoke with him, filled out a work order with his office and texted/called him, guess what, no returned calls to me, I moved on to someone I knew would get the job done, very responsive. I have no hard feelings against the guy that didn't call me back, he was booked out weeks, so I moved on to my next best option, and it probably worked out better in the end.

boatnt 07-15-2017 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 4569222)
Then the guy was busy and he should have moved on, how long was he willing to wait? Sounded like he only had a few days. I Understand the situation, but to bash someone so hard over a few non-returned calls is a little harsh.

I had the same situation this week, guy didn't call me back, AFTER I spoke with him, filled out a work order with his office and texted/called him, guess what, no returned calls to me, I moved on to someone I knew would get the job done, very responsive. I have no hard feelings against the guy that didn't call me back, he was booked out weeks, so I moved on to my next best option, and it probably worked out better in the end.

I hear you,I would have moved on myself,,plenty of good surveyors out there,
but some people view things differently ,but lets not make them out to be the problem

madbouyz 07-15-2017 12:42 PM

And herein lies why I hate giving recommendations any more. And believe me, I'm asked all the time . Everything from who's the best person to give my hamster a colonoscopy to what 3rd world airlines should I avoid flying on and everything in between , especially boat sh*t.

I've recommended people who gave consistently solid gold services and goods to me to others who were not happy at all. And I've unknowingly used people who were good to others but were total fkups in my case .

That's why now I always finish up a reluctantly given recommendation with 'Your own experiences may vary ! '