Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
Warning!!  Surveyor Ed Cozzi (Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc.) >

Warning!! Surveyor Ed Cozzi (Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc.)

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning!! Surveyor Ed Cozzi (Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc.)

I’m disappointed that I have to write this but sharing my experience with Ed Cozzi will hopefully help someone else.

I’m in the process of purchasing a performance boat and wanted to find the very best surveyor to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. The boat is located in a somewhat rural area and I wasn’t impressed with any of the local surveyors, so I looked on this forum and read the recommendations.

I found several posts recommending Ed Cozzi. While Ed didn’t live in the same state as where the boat was located, I was willing to fly him to the location if I felt he was the best for the job.

I found Ed’s e-mail address on his website so on Saturday, July 8th, I sent him an e-mail explaining what I was looking for. I certainly didn’t expect to hear back from him because it was a weekend…and that was fine. I figured he would contact me on Monday.

Since I didn’t hear from him, I decided to call him on Monday, July 10th at 3:30pm and we had a wonderful 5 minute conversation. I was thrilled…he seemed to be the nicest guy. He said he does travel to do surveys and I informed him that I would book him a flight, have a rental car waiting for him, and pay his travel rate (he gave me the rate which I thought was expensive but fair considering he’s giving up other jobs for the day). I told him I have a transporter tentatively scheduled to pick up the boat in a week. We agreed and he said he would check his schedule to see if he could rearrange some things to get it done. He told me he would call me when he got home that evening.

That evening came and went without a call from Ed. I figured he was tired and I didn’t want to bother him and assumed he would call me the next day (Tuesday).

I did not hear from Ed in the morning so at 2:20pm, I texted him, “Hi Ed- Were you able to check your schedule to see when you had availability for the survey? Thanks! Ken”

No response but I figured he would call me later that day…but he didn’t call.

On Wednesday at 1:20pm, I called him and he answered his phone. He remembered our conversation and asked if he could call me right back. Again he was so nice and I said, “Sure!”.

After not hearing back from Ed, I called him 3+ hours later (4:40pm). He answered again and in that nice, friendly pleasant way, asked to call me back again. So again, I said, “Sure!”

Once again, he never called me back.

On Wednesday evening, I texted him saying, “Ed- Please, please please call me this evening to let me know about scheduling the survey. Since I have the transporters scheduled to pickup the boat on Monday, it seems like Friday (or Saturday) would be the only day left to do the survey. Thank you- Ken”

No response

It’s now Friday at 8pm. Ed Cozzi never called me once. He basically put me in the terrible position of making a choice whether to call off the transport company and find another surveyor…or purchase the boat without an inspection.

All he had to say is, “Ken I’m sorry…I’m just too busy and can’t get it done.” That would have been fine with me but instead, he jerked me around for almost a week…and never did what he said he would do. I was nothing but polite to him…never demanding…accepted his fees…but in the end, he screwed me.

I would NEVER recommend Ed Cozzi to perform a survey. His word is obviously worth nothing.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Nice first post

Sorry you had a bad experience with him. i on the other hand have used him twice and both times with great results.
The following 2 users liked this post by H20 Toie:
Nothing personel 353 (04-10-2021), TomZ (04-21-2022)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did great for me!
The following users liked this post:
Nothing personel 353 (04-10-2021)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by H20 Toie
Nice first post

Sorry you had a bad experience with him. i on the other hand have used him twice and both times with great results.

Same here.

I too . sorry you had a bad experience. Mine was 180 from yours and was wonderful. I was out of country and he made the process east for me and set me at ease so when I got back my boat was waiting and ready for me exactly as he outlined for me in his report.
The following users liked this post:
Nothing personel 353 (04-10-2021)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Registered

I wish I had that same experience. Again I was polite, respectful and certainly not demanding. Perhaps if someone here knows him well enough to ask him why he's told me 4 or 5 times now that he would call me right back and never has? Hell I'll even invite him to post a response to this board explaining his actions. At least apologize and explain/own up to your actions and I'll be happy to delete this post. I can't even think of a reason why he keeps saying, "I'll call you tonight" or "I'll call you right back" and never does. Isn't it easier to just say, "I can't do it"? He's made things so much more difficult for me due to his actions (or lack of actions).

"It takes years to build a reputation and only minutes to ruin it"
Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Doesn't matter if its his first post, where's the boat, I may know a guy that can survey it.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-14-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. Sounds like Ed is a better surveyor than a businessman.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts

getting transport before survey is kind of a$$ backwards.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You lined it all up. Walk away. Sorry for your troubles. There's always signs. Walk away.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 PM
Registered

Thanks F-2 Speedy. I spoke with the mechanic who currently has the boat and did all the maintenance on the boat for his client. He's very reputable (but then again, I thought Ed was reputable). He told me everything I needed to know about the condition of the hull/stringers, electronics, engines, paint/blistering, etc. I also spoke with the previous owner and reviewed a survey that was done awhile ago. Long story short, I'm doing something I would typically never do which is to purchase the boat unseen. Thanks for your offer of locating a surveyor however I'm going to go ahead and have it picked up Monday morning...I'm expecting to do certain work on the boat based on my discussions with the owner and mechanic...and willing to take the risk.

Again, thanks for your offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.