Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
Warning!!  Surveyor Ed Cozzi (Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc.) >

Warning!! Surveyor Ed Cozzi (Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc.)

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Just asking anyone want to post their survey results up here since I see some replied having great results. Can anyone give details why they are / where so great ? - Just asking in those surveys what was done on the mechanical side - engines, drives, transom assemblies, EFI scan results and discussed indepth about what all the scan results were ? Pulled drives and full inspection especially with a proper alignment tool. I keep hearing all the great survey results but when I ever I look at them, they are basically worthless. I am asking not accusing of anything nor accusing anyone here but I would love to see the mechanical survey results and why they were so great.

Was any oil analysis results in the mix ?
fuel pressure testing thru out all rpms ?
Propshaft run out checked ?
water tested - checked for leaks while in the water and proper WOT running rpms ?
gimbal ring play and bell housing play with hydro steering rams unhooked and tie bar unhooked ?
Bellows inspected with drives pulled ?
And the list goes on for pages if I was wanting an indepth survey done and paying for it. not having just a clip board survey performed.
Great! you do all that for $500-$700 bucks, I'll call you next time I'm buying.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
You know all the surveyors have a tool box full of micrometers and dial indicators.....lmao
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klawans

I’m disappointed that I have to write this but sharing my experience with Ed Cozzi will hopefully help someone else.

I’m in the process of purchasing a performance boat and wanted to find the very best surveyor to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. The boat is located in a somewhat rural area and I wasn’t impressed with any of the local surveyors, so I looked on this forum and read the recommendations.

I found several posts recommending Ed Cozzi. While Ed didn’t live in the same state as where the boat was located, I was willing to fly him to the location if I felt he was the best for the job.

I found Ed’s e-mail address on his website so on Saturday, July 8th, I sent him an e-mail explaining what I was looking for. I certainly didn’t expect to hear back from him because it was a weekend…and that was fine. I figured he would contact me on Monday.

Since I didn’t hear from him, I decided to call him on Monday, July 10th at 3:30pm and we had a wonderful 5 minute conversation. I was thrilled…he seemed to be the nicest guy. He said he does travel to do surveys and I informed him that I would book him a flight, have a rental car waiting for him, and pay his travel rate (he gave me the rate which I thought was expensive but fair considering he’s giving up other jobs for the day). I told him I have a transporter tentatively scheduled to pick up the boat in a week. We agreed and he said he would check his schedule to see if he could rearrange some things to get it done. He told me he would call me when he got home that evening.

That evening came and went without a call from Ed. I figured he was tired and I didn’t want to bother him and assumed he would call me the next day (Tuesday).

I did not hear from Ed in the morning so at 2:20pm, I texted him, “Hi Ed- Were you able to check your schedule to see when you had availability for the survey? Thanks! Ken”

No response but I figured he would call me later that day…but he didn’t call.

On Wednesday at 1:20pm, I called him and he answered his phone. He remembered our conversation and asked if he could call me right back. Again he was so nice and I said, “Sure!”.

After not hearing back from Ed, I called him 3+ hours later (4:40pm). He answered again and in that nice, friendly pleasant way, asked to call me back again. So again, I said, “Sure!”

Once again, he never called me back.

On Wednesday evening, I texted him saying, “Ed- Please, please please call me this evening to let me know about scheduling the survey. Since I have the transporters scheduled to pickup the boat on Monday, it seems like Friday (or Saturday) would be the only day left to do the survey. Thank you- Ken”

No response

It’s now Friday at 8pm. Ed Cozzi never called me once. He basically put me in the terrible position of making a choice whether to call off the transport company and find another surveyor…or purchase the boat without an inspection.

All he had to say is, “Ken I’m sorry…I’m just too busy and can’t get it done.” That would have been fine with me but instead, he jerked me around for almost a week…and never did what he said he would do. I was nothing but polite to him…never demanding…accepted his fees…but in the end, he screwed me.

I would NEVER recommend Ed Cozzi to perform a survey. His word is obviously worth nothing.
I do not know the current situation, but his wife was battling cancer a few years ago. He was going through a tough time and considering retirement. Hasnt posted since 2013 as far as I can see.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

for one is, I never mentioned a price - and 2 if you think even a clip board survey is 500 to 700 bucks, that is wrong. 3 is the op said he was paying for flights and for car and prob place to stay and prob meals and the price of the survey also - so all of that sounds like a 3500 bill to me if not more.

Next if one is buying a 40 k and above used boat and thinks a 500 to 700 dollar survey is going to be your ticket for a great survey and with any depth LMFAO and good luck with that one.

Since the reply of most do not carry mics and so forth - what does OSO members consider a survey to be ? What like this - carpet is dirty, seat base loose on pass seat, bow lite does not work, engine looks to be clean and I see no oil leaks in the bilge. Motor oil looks clean and full. Hull has scratch on port side. WOW what a great way to buy a used boat. So lets see the survey reports and the price since I am way off base here. .
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 PM
BUP
Banned

I want to ask can you even scan an MPI engine ? maybe you better call me if not
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 PM
BUP
Banned

[QUOTE=Wobble;4569867]I do not know the current situation, but his wife was battling cancer a few years ago. He was going through a tough time and considering retirement. Hasnt posted since 2013 as far as I can see.[/QUOE]

As far as I know he was retired for a while now. And I am not directing any of my comments to him or at him. I am lost over this as people talk about a survey but really not much of the mechanical testing is done. 90 percent of these reports I see really has nothing on it for any depth of the mechanical end - So my question is how does one go off a report with the lack of that end when buying a used boat ? I am lost with this.

Last edited by BUP; 07-17-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I want to ask can you even scan an MPI engine ? maybe you better call me if not
are you asking me if I can scan a engine. Or surveyors. My opinion of getting a survey done on the boat, is because I am not there to put eyes on it. I'm relying on him to tell me what he sees and what his opinions are of the boat. I don't care how much money I'm spending, I'm not laying out 3-5 grand for someone to tell me what they think about the boat and measure everything. If I'm that concerned I will fly to wherever the boat is and check it myself. My survey was mainly done for insurance purposes. That's what I think surveys are for. If someone's relying to find out the mechanical issues I would fly a mechanic in ,not a surveyor
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
You know all the surveyors have a tool box full of micrometers and dial indicators.....lmao
You are 1000 percent correct and all I can do is LMFAO for the ones who buy a used boat with out having this done and not having any testing tools put on the used boat. . Kind of like a no eyes as is sale take it up the azz for the buyer beware without any main stream mechanical tests performed. . Would You buy boats this way ? Especially an MPI app. Good luck with that

Last edited by BUP; 07-18-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 PM
BUP
Banned

are you asking me if I can scan a engine. Or surveyors. My opinion of getting a survey done on the boat, is because I am not there to put eyes on it. I'm relying on him to tell me what he sees and what his opinions are of the boat. I don't care how much money I'm spending, I'm not laying out 3-5 grand for someone to tell me what they think about the boat and measure everything. If I'm that concerned I will fly to wherever the boat is and check it myself. My survey was mainly done for insurance purposes. That's what I think surveys are for. If someone's relying to find out the mechanical issues I would fly a mechanic in ,not a surveyor
Asking why would one pay for a survey without a scan and the report and no compression testing and water testing being many miles away AND not being able to put hands or eyes or ears on the used boat your going to buy. That's what I am getting at - I guess no one see what I am saying here.

Basically here is what I see from buyers whom purchase used boats with out a PRE PURCAHSE INSPECTION as this is what I call them not a survey. I see lack of proper winterization or no winterization and the new buyer of the used boat markets gets that end of bad news after he bought the boat. Winter has crack what ever and you have water in the oil or what ever from a lack of winterizing the boat. I See this over and over and over again not once but 100 of times. Really prob 50 times per year. NO BS

Last edited by BUP; 07-17-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Registered

It also depends on who you are buying from also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.