Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Beware and Stolen (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen-183/)
-   -   Watch out on the Lake (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/beware-stolen/351341-watch-out-lake.html)

mdlyles33 12-16-2017 09:23 AM

Watch out on the Lake

I just had a 510 built with blower shop blower. It let go after 1 pass. Dropping valve seats like marbles. Guy got down on me. Block was machined 90 over! And I’m pushin 9lbs in it. Supposed to be 8:1 and after tear down found it 10:1. No wonder it let go. Claimed it to be a Chief motor but the tear down says other wise. Needless to say, it’s now at Stotler power and the other is in garbage. Thank god everything outside the block and heads is still good. If you are on lake Lanier, watch who you trust. Not every power boat shop is a power boat shop, Not gonna Mention Any names out in the open but if you are planning a build around here, PM me and if it’s the guy, I’ll let you know. SMH

BenPerfected 12-26-2017 03:51 PM

MRE Power Products is near Valdosta and his work is impeccable. Mike did most of the long blocks for Keith Eickert. We run our boat on Lake Erie as fast as the water will allow which is mostly 80 MPH+. Definitely worth a call to Mike and a visit to his shop.

tomcei 12-28-2017 06:17 AM

Mdlyles33,

What boat are you running?

mdlyles33 01-04-2018 07:49 AM

pm

Replied to your pm

aex 02-08-2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mdlyles33 (Post 4599701)
I just had a 510 built with blower shop blower. It let go after 1 pass. Dropping valve seats like marbles. Guy got down on me. Block was machined 90 over! And I’m pushin 9lbs in it. Supposed to be 8:1 and after tear down found it 10:1. No wonder it let go. Claimed it to be a Chief motor but the tear down says other wise. Needless to say, it’s now at Stotler power and the other is in garbage. Thank god everything outside the block and heads is still good. If you are on lake Lanier, watch who you trust. Not every power boat shop is a power boat shop, Not gonna Mention Any names out in the open but if you are planning a build around here, PM me and if it’s the guy, I’ll let you know. SMH

You're at the right place.
Herb is honest, has integrity and is one of the best engine builders in offshore.
It's unfortunate to see so many performance boaters out there getting stuck by unscrupulous builders. I'm sure some are well intended but lack knowledge and the funding to fix their mistakes.

350scarab 02-09-2018 08:07 AM

Yup, there is nothing like doing your due diligence BEFORE throwing a pile of cash at someone that is full of good intentions and promises, only to suffer thru the pain, and cost of having someone re-do it right. Spend the extra time on research, which will save a lot of grief, anguish, and cash.