Joey Griffin Engines

Notices

Joey Griffin Engines

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joey Griffin Engines

Im just curious...anyone have or had problems with engines built by Joey Griffin in the last year or two?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grapeape
Im just curious...anyone have or had problems with engines built by Joey Griffin in the last year or two?
Thier are some here that have, Maybe they will chime in !!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes!
He rebuilt my 575's. On one of my motors he kept my good heads and put worn out heads on it. This resulted in hydro lock and a rebuild.

There are Other local guys here that have had problems as well. Of all they guys here that he did motor work, mine lasted the longest -120 hours. The others got 75 hrs, 30 hrs, 10 hrs. Local engine builders that have seen his work said all the motors they have seen look like the parts came from the garbage can!
I would stay FAR AWAY from him.

Btw: if you are local to Norfolk area, I can refer you to someone that does do GREAT work.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 02-09-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

He will misrepresnt part descriptions. I have first hand experience. I would NEVER do business again.
Allan Smith
P.S. If misrepresent is not in the dictionary, insert lie instead.

Last edited by asmith; 02-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Thanks for the info. I tore mine down the other week after about 45 hrs. Inside of the motor was a joke. Machine work was horrible and everything was worn out. Only thing worth a darn was the crank and cam. So it seems to be the same mess going on. Misrepresent is a good word asmith. Atleast now i will know what is in my engine.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

As Bill was saying, I have experienced not once, but twice the Joey failure. I paid him to rebuild my 502, it lasted 30 hours. I took it apart and saw that it was crap, took the parts down to him, and he "rebuilt" it for free. I then sold the boat thinking it was good to go, as it ran fine at sea trials. I have since heard it lasted about 10 hours and needed a full rebuild. More claims of junk parts being used and yes, the only thing that could be salvaged was the cam and crank. The gentleman that bought my boat had another story of complete loss of two high horsepower, high dollar engines that didnt last a summer. It's a shame, he's a nice guy, but his work is unacceptable. Not sure what happened with his work...
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

my fountain had griffin engines in it when I got it from schogren, I called griffin at the time to see what the internals would have in them he said the good stuff, callies cranks, oliver rods, j e pistons, well when eddie young got them this fall he was blown away because they had eagle cranks & rods , the machineing was horrible, the rods were touching the bottoms of the bores and on and on , he couldnt believe they stayed togather this long. good luck !
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

Do a Google search on Joey Griffen Engines and this thread comes up first now...what goes around comes around. I just hope that anyone interested in having him do work just Googles his name and they'll get the scoop.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Angry

Originally Posted by 575cat
my fountain had griffin engines in it when I got it from schogren, I called griffin at the time to see what the internals would have in them he said the good stuff, callies cranks, oliver rods, j e pistons, well when eddie young got them this fall he was blown away because they had eagle cranks & rods , the machineing was horrible, the rods were touching the bottoms of the bores and on and on , he couldnt believe they stayed togather this long. good luck !
Yea, i have heard of similar conversations with Joey......"best of this, special that". Its a shame for someone who "HAD" the reputation he did. I dont understand it. It seems to be par for the course in his later motors, misrepresented, worn out and mismatched. Its sad when someone has to resort to scamming people to make money.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

If you were Reggie you got good parts and a good build. From what I have seen everyone else got crap. I think now he is working on airplane engines and doesn't really mess with the boat stuff anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.