Beware of Rob Freeman - OSO Member; Nothing but dishonest

Notices

Beware of Rob Freeman - OSO Member; Nothing but dishonest

Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beware of Rob Freeman - OSO Member; Nothing but dishonest

I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of a member on OSO, Rob Freeman. His screen name is ROB FREEMAN, and he is the worst person that I have ever had dealings with. Last month, I noticed he was willing to sell his 1998 Cigarette Top Gun. Within 2 days, I booked a flight out to Chicago, and made arrangements to come look at his boat. I also paid for a surveyor to meet me at the boat, as I was confident that I wanted this boat.

Once I got to see the boat in person, it was VERY obvious that Rob does not take care of anything that he owns. The Myco trailer, which he told me was in perfect shape, had at least 3 tires that needed to be replaced, and had a black vinyl wrap on one half of the trailer (the entire port side of the trailer). The other side was just the standard aluminum. Moving on, I noticed that you could pick up the back of the starboard outdrive, and move it up and down about an inch. All of the hardware, on the back of the drive, was completely worn out. The threads on the shaft that go through the rams and the drive were stripped out; not allowing the outer nuts to be tightened. This is how he had been using the boat. The surveyor also noticed that the starboard prop was significantly more difficult to rotate than the port prop. Upon closer inspection, it was clear that the prop was rubbing against the case in certain points of the rotation. This was most likely due to a bent prop shaft. There is a chance that the hub might not be sitting in the prop correctly, but who knows. Rob’s comment that he had hit a sand bar indicates to me, that it is pretty likely the drive had a bent prop shaft.

When I climbed the ladder to get into the boat, it was disgusting. The boat was totally filthy; grease and dirt all over the upholstery. As I looked into the bilge, there was still ice, dirt and oil. The bilge pumps & plumbing were surrounded by ice. Rob says he just forgot to take the drain plugs out at the end of last season. Rob also had put stickers on the cabin door that said, “Ghetto Boyz”, which is fitting for Rob, a sticker on the dash, under the start buttons that said, “Let ‘er Rip”. Finally, he had a sticker mounted in the engine compartment that said, “Hear Dem Engines Cryin’!” In the floor of the cockpit & the cabin, Rob had installed the ugliest ½” rubber gym floor he could find. The cabin looked as though it hadn’t been cleaned in years. The upholstery, the bathroom, and crevasses were extremely filthy. There was also about ½ quart of dirty engine oil, underneath the v-berth bed, in bilge. The 3 hinges that hold the bathroom door on, each only had one bolt in them. I knew that it could be cleaned up, but was going to take a lot of time.

After getting off the boat, I spoke with the surveyor. He told me that the boat had several issues. There were higher than normal moisture meter readings in the transom, and in the stringers in the bilge. He said the fact that there was still water, ice and oil in the bilge didn’t help. The bottom of the boat had pieces of gelcoat missing, down to the fiberglass; mostly on the keel. I told Rob that I would offer him $65,000 for the boat. He got mad, and started walking away, and covering up the boat. He swore there was nothing wrong with the boat or the prop shaft. He even turned the prop, and said there was nothing wrong with it.

Once he calmed down, I asked him what he would take for the boat. He said he wouldn’t take a penny under $75,000. So, I told him I would give him $75,000, if he gave me his spare XR drive, and his other set of Herring 5 blade props.

Rob shook my hand, and said that we had a deal. I gave him a check for $500, and asked him to let me see the completed survey, and get my insurance straight. He told me, no problem. There was also a small, deep scratch on the front of the boat that Mitcher T was supposed to fix. Rob agreed that upon receipt of payment, he would bring the boat to Mitcher T’s shop, with the spare drive, and the props, to get the spot fixed. I could then pick the boat up from Mitcher T’s shop. He was going to over-night all of the boat paperwork and title’s to me, upon receipt of payment as well.

After getting the survey, I went to my bank, and got a certified bank check, made out to Rob, with the H.I.N. of the boat on the check for $74,500, and put it in the overnight. The following day, Rob got the check, and cashed it. At this point, I thought we had a done deal. Rob was supposed to put the paperwork & titles in the over-night to me, and bring the boat, spare drive, and props to Mitcher T’s shop. Well, he didn’t. Rob didn’t bring the boat to Mitch’s shop for 4 days. He also didn’t bring the spare drive or props with the boat. When I asked why, he said, “We will have to work something out there.” On Wednesday morning, Rob called me and said, “Mitch got into fixing the boat, and the damage is more than expected. There is delamination and stress cracks all around the area that the guy hit me.” I told Rob, “Well, call that guy’s insurance company, get it fixed. I want the boat.” Rob just said, “OK”. By the way, I saw the damage, and it wasn’t bad at all; this was just a lie, because he didn’t want to sell me the boat. Later that evening, I called Rob. When he answered, he said that he had talked to the insurance company, and it was all getting fixed. I told Rob, “Look, I already have a hotel room, so I am leaving to come out there, to pick up the spare drive, props and paperwork.” At this point, the phone went dead; Rob had hung up on me. I tried 22 times to call him back, in a row; no answer. I tried to call his wife’s phone as well; it was ‘unavailable’. So, I started texting him. I told him I was heading out there in the AM. I got a text back that read, “I’m sorry I’ve decided to keep the boat after finding out the hull damage you will get a full refund and reimburse for flight and survey bank draft will be out first thing in the AM do not worry I’m not stealing your money just to much stress and drama and dealing with his insurance”. I typed it just like he did, as you can see from a picture; all of his texts and posts are like a two-year old wrote them.

So, now Rob has all the money for the boat, and I have nothing; no titles or anything. Just proof of the bank check and my personal check he cashed. Over the next few days, I got nothing but belligerent texts from Rob, because I kept asking when I was going to get my money back. He even sent me a picture of a wad of cash, sitting on his lap, and said, “I don’t think I have to worry about your chump change.” Again, just showing the mentality of the person I was dealing with.

It took Rob a couple of days, and several heated text exchanges, before he finally sent me a tracking number. He told me that my money would be to me the next day, which was Saturday, and someone had to be there to sign for it. It never showed up. Somehow, another tracking number was created, and it arrived on Monday. When it arrived, there was a note of a break-down of costs Rob supposedly reimbursed me for. None of these costs were accurate; they were just what Rob thought they should be. There was also a clause, that once I send them a copy of the survey, they would send me an additional $600. Rob did nothing but lie. He agreed to a deal, as a gentleman, and totally screwed me over. He agreed to refund me all the money I was out, dealing with this purchase, which was $77,650. The survey alone was $725. His check to me was for $75,400. This check has an automatic 4 day hold FROM HIS BANK! So, I avoided contacting him, to make sure that this check would clear. However, he will NEVER get a copy of this appraisal.

Anyone who thinks of having any type of dealings with Rob Freeman should certainly re-think that decision. Rob Freeman’s word, doesn’t mean a thing. He is nothing more than an untrustworthy liar.

Engine oil under the v-berth

Bilge, with ice, oil dirt, and water

Moisture reading of 210

Keel

Loose drive hardware

His text about not needing my chump change

His text about not being able to sell me the boat

Letter enclosed with check

Nice sticker in the engine compartment

Ghetto alright

Let 'Er Rip

Look at all the delamination and spider cracks
Old 03-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Damn!!! And I thought my prop deal with him was bad. Sorry to hear this for you
Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Oil under v-berth
I was PM'd, asking about the picture of oil under the v-berth; as it didn't come through. Here it is.

Last edited by Penaltybox; 03-27-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Picture didn't come through
Old 03-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Wasn't he the guy that was saying how dishonest Richie the paint wizard was?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Drock78
No! That is Rob Freeman from Maryland. His screen name is Offshore Drilling. Unfortunately for him, he has the same name as this Rob Freeman from WI.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
No, different Rob Freeman.
Confusing.

The Rob Freeman in Maryland that had the paint issues is "offshoredrillin" here on OSO and the like.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Gotcha . Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:04 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I try to keep track of all the azzhat cob jobber people and very poor engine builders in the boat world. So this is not the dude who had a bad paint job done buy a guy named Richie ? Just keeping tabs Thanks
Old 03-27-2019, 11:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BUP
I try to keep track of all the azzhat cob jobber people and very poor engine builders in the boat world. So this is not the dude who had a bad paint job done buy a guy named Richie ? Just keeping tabs Thanks
No, his screen name is offshoredrilling, and he is from Maryland.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly I’m surprised that you wanted it that bad, looks terrible, I can’t imagine that the maintenance was all that great.

glad you got $$$ back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alwhite00:
540Fever (10-12-2021), hblair (03-12-2021), IGetWet (03-29-2019), obnoxus (04-12-2019), Penaltybox (03-27-2019)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.