Beware... Derek Dawson / Dawson Custom Marine >

Beware... Derek Dawson / Dawson Custom Marine

Notices

Beware... Derek Dawson / Dawson Custom Marine

Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware... Derek Dawson / Dawson Custom Marine

Just a buyer beware announcement... I highly recommend avoiding doing business with Derek Dawson from Dawson Custom Marine in Osage Beach area, Missouri. Over a year ago, (February 23rd, 2018) I purchased (2) Bravo HP Transom (matched pair lol) assemblies (In good working order, no corrosion and complete, ready to bolt on, needing nothing) from Derek via paypal and agreed to save on shipping and have a customer of his deliver these to their home (3 hours away from me) and setup a time for me to drive down and grab them. Upon arriving, we loaded the transom assemblies up quickly (raining outside) and away we went. I stopped at the gas station 15 miles away and then I discovered that one of the transom assemblies has a worn out gibmal ring as well as both missing parts that were clearly included in the pictures that were sent. The other transom assembly was definitely I called Derek right away and all I got was voicemail. Finally, 8 hours later, I was able to get him on the phone to discuss the issue with these transom assemblies and how they were not what he said they were regarding the matched pair nor in the condition as promised. His response was that it wasn’t a big deal and that for $500 they could be rebuilt. One needed a new gimbal ring for sure… that alone surpasses the $500 mark. I tried to negotiate a partial refund and that I would fix them, he would not agree to it. He argued then stating that “well you got a great deal on them” regardless of the price… he lied straight out of the box… He was asking $1500 each (current used market asking price) and we agreed on $2500. That, in my opinion is not a “great” deal but more so a realistic price. So, I told him that I needed a full refund and that I would work with his customer (Al) to arrange pickup again 3 hours away and get these dropped off. I was explicitly clear to Derek that I needed to have my refund prior to Al taking off with these. His response was ok… So I proceeded, notified Derek that I was enroute to deliver these to Al and that I needed my refund. Upon arriving at the destination, Derek would not answer the phone nor respond to text or facebook messenger. I spoke with his customer (Al), whom vouched for Derek, stating that my refund would be handled. I agreed to let Al take off with the transom assemblies and we went our separate ways. I called Derek and messaged him stating Al had them and that I want my refund as discussed. Some time goes by and I finally received a response stating that he had to deposit money into his paypal account to get me taken care of. Fast forward a bit more… no refund has arrived after several days of waiting, I ping Derek. Same story… he has to deposit money, blah...blah...blah. Finally he comes out and admits that he doesn’t have it and asks me to work with him. Sure, I can do that… Now that over a year has gone by and I have nothing to show for it… I’m done playing his games and hope that no one else has been or will be burnt by him. For anyone interested, I have all of the messages, text’s etc. backing this up and will share if need be. Also, PayPal decided not to help out since I didn’t use a shipping company and there wasn’t any trace ability. I have all the conversations... between Derek and I along with Al (His customer) along with the sales ad... 47 pages worth of BS...
I have filed with the BBB, Attorney Generals Office in MO, as well as the small claims paperwork. After doing some digging, found that he has over $70k in judgments against him from 2013 to current. Majority of those are from the same type of thing... junk parts, faulty work, failure to refund or failure to pay. Steer clear from him... unless you like doing business with a thief...
Old 10-24-2019, 12:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 255 Likes on 121 Posts

Lots of stuff on FB about him screwing people.