Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Give Way or Stand on? >

Give Way or Stand on?

Notices
View Poll Results: To yield or not to yield ...
I am the give way boat and I should take evasive action.
93.22%
Screw it, I always have the right of way.
1.69%
Depends on how many beers I've had.
5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Give Way or Stand on?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Give Way or Stand on?

What do you do when you are underway and a boat is approaching from your starboard side?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Give Way or Stand on?

When meeting head on, or nearly so, either vessel shall signal it's intention. Using 1 short blast which the other vessel shall/should answer promptly. Each vessel at that point turns to it's starboard and pass with the other vessel on it's port side. When 2 ( powerboaters ) are meeting head on, neither 1 is the stand on vessel, BOTH must give way.

If a pasing situation occurs that is not a Direct head to Head Passing starboard use 2 short blasts

Inland rules state that if You are approaching a vessel from the stern and intend to pass on the starboard 1 short blast. if passing them from the port, 2 short blasts.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get out of the way unless its a real small boat
Old 09-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Give Way.But if i did have right of way I still assume the other guy does not know the rules around here in Naples.I make a dramatic course change to show my intentions and many a time i have backed down to nuetral and let the other guy pass on by.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wantsa311
What do you do when you are underway and a boat is approaching from your starboard side?
if its a sailboat i have everyone move to the starboard side of my boat and moon the blow boater as a sign of respekt when we pass them. if its another offshore boat i flag them down and see if they need beer, gas or ask if its 4:20 yet
Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
if its a sailboat i have everyone move to the starboard side of my boat and moon the blow boater as a sign of respekt when we pass them. if its another offshore boat i flag them down and see if they need beer, gas or ask if its 4:20 yet

sounds like you're going on pickle patrol.....
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stecz20
sounds like you're going on pickle patrol.....
where have you been bro...did your wife put you on time out from oso? have you told her you can watch jc's child being born on video when you return from destin. will you or jc delare the child as a dependant? come on dude you and tantrum need to talk to the doctors and tell em to put things on hold til the worlds are over. it wont be the same with out you pickle smoochers
Old 09-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
where have you been bro...did your wife put you on time out from oso? have you told her you can watch jc's child being born on video when you return from destin. will you or jc delare the child as a dependant? come on dude you and tantrum need to talk to the doctors and tell em to put things on hold til the worlds are over. it wont be the same with out you pickle smoochers

you will be fine without us, i will give you my power for that weekend.. just think about it, whatever you say, it shall be written.. just for one weekend, i dont want you getting spoiled punk.....
Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Give Way.But if i did have right of way I still assume the other guy does not know the rules around here in Naples.I make a dramatic course change to show my intentions and many a time i have backed down to nuetral and let the other guy pass on by.
I wish there were more captains like this on Lake St Clair. I am SO tired of idiots who don't know (or care) there are other boats on the lake. I'm going to start taking pictures and post them here.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Horn Blast ????

Quick Reply: Give Way or Stand on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.