Dog life preserver >

Dog life preserver

Notices

Dog life preserver

Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog life preserver

What type of dog life preserver do you recommend? We have a golden retriever who is 2 years old and she jumps in the water alllllll the time. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

I have a couple 70lb Goldendoodles I take swimming all the time. I bought the pricey Paws Aboard life jackets for them from Petsmart. They really do not provide enough flotation for the dogs to relax in the water without wearing themselves out. I ended up buying small/medium Kidder life jackets for people from Walmart for them. I just put their front paws through the arm holes and buckle it up on the top of their backs. They work tons better and the dogs can just float and relax. Have fun.. Jeff Wurl
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

I use an insulated vest from Avery for my Chocolate when duck hunting. He could be in the water for hours. And in the cold water it keeps his heat in. Also it is nice to have the handle to pick him up into the boat when needed.
http://www.averysportingdog.com/products/Vests.php
Attached Thumbnails Dog life preserver-sspx0222.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

No pic but we have a great dane and we just bought a neoprene vest XL for a person and put it zipper on top and it fits her great, we used too by dog vests and she would wear them out one a year, they were junk, and this one has lasted two years and looks brand new.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My parents and brother both have labs. They use the Paws Aboard one. The handle is nice to help them out of the water. Good snug fit. Neither dog really stops when they're in the water so can't comment on what jwurl said.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

We have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and they both have the paws aboard jackets. They don't swim much, but they seem not to notice the jackets when on. The nice thing is the handle. One's 11lbs and the other's 20lbs, I can snatch them up like two cases of beer when they get into trouble.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the bear
No pic but we have a great dane and we just bought a neoprene vest XL for a person and put it zipper on top and it fits her great, we used too by dog vests and she would wear them out one a year, they were junk, and this one has lasted two years and looks brand new.

Does it keep her afloat?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use the Ruffwear pet lifejacket. It has padding underneath the straps and let's the dogs stop and relax while still floating. We have one for both of our dogs and the handle is great. You can getting one hand on the handle and one on the back of the lifejacket to get leverage to lift bigger doggy dogs. This really helps since one of my dogs weighs 65 and the other is 85. The large big
eddy works great for our big dog.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to think they were silly until our new to us pit fell in while we were docked. By the time I got to the back of the boat and emptied my pockets he was going down for the last time.

Too far from the boat to reach, I had to jump in and haul him back. Bought a preserver at West Marine that day and he wears it all the time he is on the boat except when sleeping. He doesn't mind it at all and I think it helps keep him warm when he swims since he has really short hair.

What ever the brand, please buy one.
The following users liked this post:
convincor (07-08-2020)
Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

We have a 90 pound Golden and we got him the biggest one from West Marine. It works great, we were not sure if we would be able to find one since our Golden is bigger than most. West Marine let us bring him in the store to try them on him before we bought it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.