S.P.I.N What do you think?

Notices

S.P.I.N What do you think?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S.P.I.N What do you think?

http://www.spin-site.org/index.htm

Came across this website today. I'm not really shure what to make of it. I deffinetly like the fact that someone is aware of propeller strike accidents and everybody needs to do what is possible to avoid these accidents. My problem is, that to me it looks like it's not really thought all the way through. There is a lot of mentioning of prop guards ect. But are prop guards the way to go? In out world of powerboating, it's a really lound NO! One thing is the performance loss, nobody likes that. But what about the handeling caracteristics of a 38 Lighning? I can't imagine that'll be good for safety. I like the idea of a swimladder kill switch, have thought about that one on our cruiser. My concern with S.P.I.N is, that they see the accidents, and the think, let's prevent them by making laws that do not take sport and powerboats into consideration. I understand the fact, that loss of life or mobillity is devastating and tragic, but I'm not shure S.P.I.N is going about it in the right way. Why sue engine or boat manufactures? They can't control what some moron in a fast boat does, and can therefore not be held acountable for the injuries or deaths. Of course, if there is a malfunction it's a different game, but still a case of the situation surrounding the one particular accident. From what I understand, S.P.I.N consider not having a prop guard as standard mandatory equipment a malfunction of a product. How would you ever get one to work on a high performance drive? That being an outboard on a cat or any stern drive on an i/o performance boat? I think it's great someone is doing something, but are they going about it in the right way? I don't think so. Not to sound cynical or bitter but It almost have the "let's blame all the fast boat owners" thing going again.

What do you guys think?

Anders

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 01-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new safety laynards and prop guards are required in some public water areas. the cockpit laynards will more than likely be mandatory this year. it more of different rules than simple kill laynard. the prop guards are good idea for boater that is in congested area or for insurance break. the force behind this wants to feel good about themselves, some have been involved in a marine accident. you still see bowriding, the state DNR won't stop and correct, because they can't write ticket to get $$$ and don't hold training; they rely on powerboat squadron or USCG auxillary. the problem is you can't fix stupid, what will they do about hull strikes. stop all public boating, basically what they are trying to do to hunters, shorten and restrict their season. for the record i am USCG retired, people never thought bowriding was bad, until compared it to riding hood of car going down hiway. some idiots still didn't get it. can't fix stupid!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

note: our local railroad bridge is being replaced for past 2 years. this summer they did demo work on old center pivot on swingbridge, the contractor was using diver to identify demo work. they are working off barge and dive boat, both fly scuba and "A" dive flags. the local DNR agent drove full speed up to barge to catch-up on what was going on, didn't think anything was wrong with his actions. the divers did not want to file complaint, fear of retaliations, instead of any other actions. seems to be S.O.P. anymore.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 20' or less

According to fatality numbers, maybe regulate boats 20' or less, will stop about 68% of the accidents. Alcohol was 19%, People not paying attention 14%, these numbers here should be enough to regulate just 20' or less. If your boat is deemed an Offshore boat, it should be excluded.

PROPELLER RELATED INJURIES (812)
The main points of this report are:

43% of the injuries occur in lakes.
The major accident locations by state are: Florida 14% and California 10%. States with short boating seasons and/or strong education programs have demonstratively less accidents. Rhode Island, a mandatory license and education state, reported no prop accident.
The top three Accident Types resulting in prop strikes are: struck by motor/propeller (43%), falls overboard (31%), skier mishap (10%)
The top five causes of the accident are: operator inattention (24%), passenger or skier behavior (11%), operator inexperience (10%), careless/reckless operation (10%) and alcohol use(7%).
AGE of victim: 36% are 20 and under. That is 292 of the 812 total injuries.
Type of Boat: 74% of all the accidents occurred in a propeller drive open motorboat. 65% of these boats were 20'and under.
Type of injury: laceration (76%), broken bones (7%), head injury (6%), amputation (3%). First aid was required in 95% of the cases. No figures are available for hospitalization. SPIN has requested this information for 10 years so that a proper cost benefit analysis can justify regulation.

PROPELLER RELATED FATALITIES (162)

51% of the fatalities occur in lakes.
Florida (17%), Louisiana (7%), California (6%), Wisconsin (6%).
Top four types of accident are: falls overboard (44%), struck by motor/propeller(13%), collision with Vessel (13%), Skier mishap (7%).
Top five causes of accident: alcohol (19%), operator inattention (14%), careless/reckless operation (10%), excessive speed (10%).
AGE of victim. 24% are 20 and under. That is 39 of 164.
Type of Boat. 75% of all accidents occurred in a propeller driven open motorboat. 68% of these boats were 20' and under.
Type of injury: not stated
Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

Instead of getting too wrapped up in the "spin" of stastics, lets look at the motives.

The website is fairly basic with limited info and filled with generalitites.
The address listed on the web home page, 2365 Conejo Court, Los Osos, CA, 93402; a modest, middle income residential home.

Is this the effort of:
-- an injued party trying to obtain "justice"/revenge or actually help?
-- injury lawyer?
-- person that identifies an income potential in starting a "nonprofit"?
-- inventor with a proposed "safety" product?

#8 from the Home Page:
"Provide support to victims and their families, empowering them with tools to memorialize their loved ones through involvement in the SPIN MISSION."
The second point "Advocacy" - leans heavily on documentation and legal action.

This follows a similar revenue plan that has proved successful for MADD.
Appeal to the injured and surviving parties. They are feeling pain and vunernable to calls of "advocacy" and making things "right". Most importantly, they often have come into a large sums of money which are ripe for picking as a "memorial" or "voice."

Definately something to keep on the radar so it's momentum can be countered before is grows to MADD levels.

There is room for increased safety and awareness but the extremes society seems to swing toward today are dangerous toward many individual freedoms.