What mooring line? >

What mooring line?

Notices

What mooring line?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by low_psi
I use 1/2" premade high quality dock lines for tieing up to other boats and docking. I used to have 5/8" anchor line and it was overkill for a 26' boat, but it didn't get tangled up. Long story, but I ended up loosing my 5/8 anchor line. This time around I bought 1/2" and I HATE it!! It seems to get itself tangled and knotted all the time...... I am going back to 5/8" anchor line very soon.

I would go with a large of rope as your cleats will accomidate. Bigger line will never hurt maters...... If for some reason you need a tow or had to tow some one, you will thank yourself for the buying the larger diameter line.... I yanked a smaller beached boat off of an island after a storm with my 5/8" line. I wouldn't have done that with 1/2".....
We also have 5/8 achor line 300ft and a short one of 30ft for close to the beach, The anchor line is one line that holds the boat.The mooring lines hold by using 3 to 5 lines. I dont see the need for 5/8 lines If I did I would need 3/4 for the anchor line, We do have a 50ft 3/4 tow line !!! Just my $0.02
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
... I dont see the need for 5/8 lines If I did I would need 3/4 for the anchor line ...
I have all chain for my anchor.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
The problem comes in if you hang out with any smaller boats, sure my massive cleats can handle it...but your average Mastercraft etc not so much.

I have been on the fence about getting bigger ones, I like them more when hanging with big boats...I suppose I should just tell a smaller boat to use their own damn lines if their cleats are too small
I have not had any issue using my 1/2 lines with smaller boats/cleats.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1/2 should be fine as long as you dont have some monster boat and trying to ride out some major storm. Really if you have multiple lines out it doesnt really take that much to hold a boat to something. Takes a lot to break 1/2 braided rope and you will probably break a cleat/dock or something else before the rope breaks.

Double braided dock line has something like 6200lbs of tensile strength. Going to take a lot to snap that. really if your morring to a dock if its tight you should never get that much movement to break that rope and if your anchored and throw a rear anchor to stop sway you should never get enough movement to break those lines, and if you do your anchors are going to pull anyways.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1/2 inch anchor line (3-strand), 1/2 inch to tie boat to buoy. 3/8 inch lines for fenders and tie-ups to docks. The 3/8 inch braided is my favorite as it is so easy to use. The only line I have that is out of the ordinary is a 35 foot 1/2 inch line that I use when I launch my boat solo. I probably should have purchased a 3/8 inch for that use but I figured the 1/2 inch line could do double-duty if things got rough.