Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines. >

Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines.

Notices

Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got a boat with twins I could not figure out how to backup. I was told to go and practice. I went out in the lake and used a buoy as a reference point. I keep trying to back up alongside the buoy. I learned that my boat with 36" pitch props will not pivot when one is in forward and other in reverse. The drive in froward will move about twice as far as the one in reverse. I keep trying to back up with the wheel straight. I have seen other people do it that way but I gave up and also started using wheel. Now between choice of both drive, and steering I am not bad most of the times. There are time where I can not get straight, I just pull back out and start all over again.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The drive that's in forward will always push more than the drive in reverse. Use the throttle a little bit on the engine in reverse to compensate for this and you should see the boat pivot. When I back into a slip, I line up perpendicular to the slip, put one engine in forward, the other in reverse, give the reversing engine a bit of throttle to overcome the forward motion of the other engine and once I'm lined up, I throw the engine that was in forward into reverse, return the other engine to idle and back up with both engines in reverse and use the wheel for minor adjustments if necessary. If there's any cross wind or cross current, I give both engines a little gas with them in reverse to get in there before I lose it.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Disappointing too! No matter how hard fast I run up on those rocks, nor how hard I ram another boat; NOBODY sinks or blows up! Boo! At least with the King of Shaves goofy analog game a few years ago you could flip the boat over!
haha I did the same thing!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

After one full season with our PowerQuest 380, I have learned a lot. First is make sure steering is centered. The only time I ever have issues is on windy days. My biggest obstacle is the fact that I have a 16' wide slip with a lift that has "Rookie Bars" to keep boat centered. I need to move the bars out, as they are only a couple inches wider than the boat's beam. It is really like threading a needle! Next issue with my lift is the fact that even though it has longer arms to back over, I need to trim the drives up past the limit switch to get over the lift when heavy on fuel or guests. You lose a lot of control when the drives are not all the way down.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

When in doubt, think of it this way. If you were facing straight ahead (sitting or standing) behind the helm with arms straight and both hands on the shifters; "The boat geos where your shoulders go."
Old 12-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory H
After one full season with our PowerQuest 380, I have learned a lot. First is make sure steering is centered. The only time I ever have issues is on windy days. My biggest obstacle is the fact that I have a 16' wide slip with a lift that has "Rookie Bars" to keep boat centered. I need to move the bars out, as they are only a couple inches wider than the boat's beam. It is really like threading a needle! Next issue with my lift is the fact that even though it has longer arms to back over, I need to trim the drives up past the limit switch to get over the lift when heavy on fuel or guests. You lose a lot of control when the drives are not all the way down.
That limit switch is there for a reason. You do not want your engines running with drives above that limit as the drive shaft U-joints are put into a bind at those angles. (this only goes for Bravo type drives) If you can find a way to get your lift lower, this would be ideal.

There is nothing wrong with "rookie bars" aka guide poles. Having them a couple inches outside the rub rail is ideal, and some folks even like them touching. The further apart they are the more likely you are to get crossed up on your lift. I can see why backing in would make this more difficult. You might consider having two additional guide poles fabricated to your lift another 4' further out on your lift. Then you could have these be a bit wider, get the transom inside; shut down, trim-up, and float it backward.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Why keep the wheel straight and only use throttles when you can get the advantage of turning the wheel and having so much more "leverage" to suck in the boat using one or both props as needed. Using the wheel has worked much better for me.
Its like driving a tank and not turning the turret to find your target.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Why keep the wheel straight and only use throttles when you can get the advantage of turning the wheel and having so much more "leverage" to suck in the boat using one or both props as needed. Using the wheel has worked much better for me.
Its like driving a tank and not turning the turret to find your target.
Subjective topic, and a lot depends on how much "bite" your setup gets. On our types of boats, the any prop that is in it's forward rotation will have more leverage than one in reverse.

Surface props vs. deeper props.
Spinning in vs. spinning out.
Side/side vs. tandem.

I've only got two hands, and I get a lot more leverage and control when I use a throttle along with individual drive gear shift changes, vs. turning the wheel. If I need to yank the nose around, or pull the transom in; running one side up to 2000 RPM or so really makes it react when done right, (and the drives are straight).

Two things I know we will all agree on:
Trying to maneuver a twin engine boat when one side is down SUCKS.
Maneuvering a twin engine (or more) is always easier than a single. (I can dock an AT better than I can dock my 13' Mini-Hawk.)

Twin engine boaters and geography:
I have noticed more boaters on the West Coast use the wheel when docking than on the East Coast.
East Coast folks tend to just use the shifters.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

For me it works best if the drives stay straight and I work the shifters and rpm. I also helps that the drives are real far apart and spinning out.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Molecular Structure of Water will also effect your backing up abilities.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515388[/ATTACH]

Molecular Structure of Water
Water has a variety of unique properties, many of which are a result of its unusual shape. Water molecules consist of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. Hydrogen and oxygen are both gases, but they combine to form a liquid compound: water,

Water Molecule
The two hydrogen atoms form an angle of about 105 degrees with the oxygen atom. This angle produces an asymmetrical molecule with the oxygen atom dominating one end of the molecule and hydrogen atoms dominating the other end as the prop rotates but changes when rotated the opposite direction. This asymmetry causes the oxygen end to have a slight negative charge and the hydrogen end to have a slight positive charge.
A molecule that has (+) and (-) poles like this is called a polar molecule and can act like a magnet. The (+) end of the one water molecule repels the (+) of another and attracts another molecule's (-) end. This arrangment holds water molecules together at normal temperatures and makes it a liquid.

Water, like most substances, has its own specific properties and will effect the way your boat backs up. The best thing to do is drink 24 beers before you attempt a maneuver like this. At least you will have an excuse if it doesn't work out so good.
Attached Thumbnails Help with Backing into dock space with twin engines.-toc_jpcb1241-09.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 12-29-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.