Trailer adjustments for new boat >

Trailer adjustments for new boat

Notices

Trailer adjustments for new boat

Old 07-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Trailer adjustments for new boat

I have made several posts about possibly getting a new to me 29 Fountain next weekend july 11th. I have been doing my research and cant seem to find a great answer. I would be purchasing the boat by itself and then I have a trailer lined up to purchase separately. The 2 boats I have owned both came with trailers so I have never messed with them. Is there potential or a good chance that I will have to mess with the bunks on the trailer to get the boat sitting right for transport back home? If so, does anyone have any guides on how to set these up? This is a 29 fountain with a single step, single engine. The trailer will be a triple axle, not sure on brand at the moment, still waiting to hear back on that, but it is meant for a V bottom.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

measure the length and depth of the step and add some wood on top of the rear bunk to support it, maybe wrap it in outdoor carpet, I wouldn't haul a step hull on a flat trailer, jmo
Old 07-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.boats.com/power-boats/19...fever-7460634/.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
I have made several posts about possibly getting a new to me 29 Fountain next weekend july 11th. I have been doing my research and cant seem to find a great answer. I would be purchasing the boat by itself and then I have a trailer lined up to purchase separately. The 2 boats I have owned both came with trailers so I have never messed with them. Is there potential or a good chance that I will have to mess with the bunks on the trailer to get the boat sitting right for transport back home? If so, does anyone have any guides on how to set these up? This is a 29 fountain with a single step, single engine. The trailer will be a triple axle, not sure on brand at the moment, still waiting to hear back on that, but it is meant for a V bottom.
IMO, you may want to consider a tandem axel trailer for turning in tight areas. I have a 32 with a tandem trailer. I don’t like the bind I put the front axel and tires when turning in tight areas. I defiantly don’t want a third axel.
The following 2 users liked this post by jtbooten:
AmiableDave (04-03-2024), boatnt (07-01-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jtbooten
IMO, you may want to consider a tandem axel trailer for turning in tight areas. I have a 32 with a tandem trailer. I don’t like the bind I put the front axel and tires when turning in tight areas. I defiantly don’t want a third axel.
Eventually I plan to get an aluminum trailer for it. With short notice I have only been able to find 2 triple axle trailers for the time being, but I do agree with this statement 100% and plan to in the future.

Does anyone know the height of the step on a 2002 29 fountain fever single step? I could for sure bring some tools, wood, and outdoor carpet to make the haul home if needed, It looks like possibly a 2x4 would do the trick, but would like to have some decent measurements to pack the stuff now since the hardware stores are on the other side of the lake from where the boat/trailer are.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you know what the trailer you are going to put the boat on is currently set up for? That would be the first thing I would try to find out, that will put you in the ballpark, at least give you an idea of whether or not it's even do able. That being said just because the trailer is setup for a similar hull doesn't really mean jack. Second and just as important, is the trailer even adjustable.? If the trailer is adjustable you can try to get it close by measuring the spacing on the bunks. Then you could put the boat on the trailer and get a floor jack (two is better), a mallet and an impact to loosen up the bolts. Loosen up each bunk on at a time and move them to the correct spot, jack it up till it's tight against the boat and tighten up the bolts. This is how I put my boat on a new trailer that I built, but I hung the boat and adjusted the bunks while sliding around on a creeper underneath it. A creeper really helped. If the trailer isn't adjustable your pretty limited, your essentially shimming the boat w wood which is not great.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Months have passed since the o.p. first posted...I wonder what he did?

Trailering is one thing...long-term storage on a trailer that doesn't fit the hull nearly-to-perfection is bad, bad, BAD. IMHO, the $$$ saved from purchasing a used trailer vs just buying one MADE for the boat is dollars wasted. For a 29' boat probably only a couple of thousand bucks saved...?
Old 11-21-2021, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha, didn't realize it was an old post. I totally agree with you, nice / correct trailer is often overlooked.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Registered

Waited a year until COVID was sort of figured out and my daughter was a little older. Boat was still available and ended up buying a brand new aluminum trailer custom fit for it. Worked out really nice.

The following users liked this post:
AmiableDave (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2022, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful boat! We bought a 1987 Formula 242 as our first boat but a Fountain is definitely in my future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.