Swimmng @ marinas is a No No >

Swimmng @ marinas is a No No

Notices

Swimmng @ marinas is a No No

Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swimmng @ marinas is a No No

It is so unfortunate this had to happen. I hope this helps other understand and realize why swimming in/around a marina shouldn't be done.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/04/us/mis...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

I boat at lake of the ozarks, and this wasnt a marina. I was a private dock. And swimming off docks at the ozarks is what people do. Its totally different down here with the docks then the marinas people thing of. Its very very very very, I cant express how horrible of a thing this is, and how much it hurts to think that two little childern with their entire lifes to live were killed doing something that you know they loved. One minute just splashing around, the next struggling for life. If one thing good can come out of this its that people need to remember and realize that they need check their GFI's on their docks to protect anyone that is near their dock. People swim off docks every day of the summer at loto, thats just the way it is. I have been swimming off docks since I could fit in a life jacket. Its a very sad thing that has happened..
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Yes if people are aware of the potential issue then this could have been prevented. I understand what you mean about dock vs marina. In a marina you have many more boats tied into shore power and it only takes one boat w/faulty wiring to cause issue. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Very Sad!

They figure out what really shocked them?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is so sad to here. My thoughts and condolences to them.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have written on here before about a landmark case involving stray currents that claimed the life of the son of a now-ABYC electrician and instructor Kevin Ritz on the topic. Very tragic indeed.

Boats or docks with improperly grounded AC shore power circuits are a significant risk, even in fresh water. Lesson is if you mess with any vessel-borne AC system, either know what you are doing or hire it out. Any short or induced currents in the system can electrify the main AC and DC bonding systems, which leads right to the water.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

What is confusing about the CNN tape is it was actually 2 accidents, one in Missouri, the other in Kentucky, both linked to electricity. Very sad...
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Similar thing happened in Clinch Park marina in Traverse City, Mi.
http://record-eagle.com/local/x15139...-legal-updates

Last edited by Interceptor; 07-08-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaholic
What is confusing about the CNN tape is it was actually 2 accidents, one in Missouri, the other in Kentucky, both linked to electricity. Very sad...
That is correct! The one accident in Kentucky happened at Beaver Creek Marina on Lake Cumberland.. I was there when the accident happened, I moored my houseboat there..

Long story short is the owner of the houseboat was doing some electric work on his boat and if I remember correctly he wired the shore power improperly and when his wife and daughter decided to take a dip off the back of the boat well guess what happened!!! I was there that day and it wasnt pretty!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 34 Posts

Traverse City Mi City Marina last summer same thing happened, I think the boy was 15, very sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.