Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Protect yourself from Skin Cancer >

Protect yourself from Skin Cancer

Notices

Protect yourself from Skin Cancer

Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comforting to know I'm not alone, hearing loss and BCC removals! (49). A big challenge for me is figuring out how to protect my head, its so hot here and I have a very sensisitve scalp-if I wear a cap or any kind of hat I break out in heat rashes and it is very uncomfortable. I try to stay under the bimini now but have to put it down underway. Anyone had this issue?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tuff deal here, had several removed in last few years, nothing bad so far, but my wife does have a bad spot that she has surgery on sept 4, guess would have known be lots of us in the same boat...good luck to all dealing, the ones that have not have issues, see dermotoligist regularly
Old 08-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Registered

Sunblock is a must when being out on the boat.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Just remember sunscreen stop sunburns but not cancers from developing.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:10 AM
Registered

Thanks for sharing and creating awareness.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allrisks
I can relate as I had one spot that was Melanoma on the back of my right shoulder removed about 18 months ago. Luckily it was on the lower end of the scale that they classify them. I also grew up back when Coppertone was the norm. Living up in Canada where we cover up for 6 months of the year and still see a dermatologist every 6 months and have spots burned off each time.So far no more major sports that need to be removed. Thank god for our health system all has been covered.
Your high taxes cover universal health. You are paying for it.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I just tried a long sleeve sun shirt for the first time last weekend out on the water. Those things are great. Lightweight, wicks moisture, and blocks the sun to the equivalent of over SPF 50 according to my UV meter. No sunscreen needed for skin covered by the sun shirt.
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (10-11-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn
Old 10-11-2023, 08:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I just had a "pre-cancerous" suspect removed on my arm and the wifes all freaked out about it I told her that im still gonna be on the sun no matter what...its in my blood. But i did start wearing those SPF50 PFG shirts as well.......be aware that the shirts are not 100% blocking. SPF 50 only means they block 98% of the suns UVB rays..And an SPF 100 would do 99%........there is still stuff hitting your skin. I wore the shirt just this past Aug when we were down in FL for the entire week...thought i would have tan lines from it....nope still got a tan just didnt get anywhere near as dark as i used to in the past they do help but are not the be all end all for protection....just FYI

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following users liked this post:
Griff (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Living here in FL we use the shirts and sunscreen. It's funny at the sand bar you know who are the locals and who is visiting, we all have shirts on and huge flopping hats,,,,,, the visitors will not have anything other then swim suits.

Originally Posted by Wally
I just had a "pre-cancerous" suspect removed on my arm and the wifes all freaked out about it I told her that im still gonna be on the sun no matter what...its in my blood. But i did start wearing those SPF50 PFG shirts as well.......be aware that the shirts are not 100% blocking. SPF 50 only means they block 98% of the suns UVB rays..And an SPF 100 would do 99%........there is still stuff hitting your skin. I wore the shirt just this past Aug when we were down in FL for the entire week...thought i would have tan lines from it....nope still got a tan just didnt get anywhere near as dark as i used to in the past they do help but are not the be all end all for protection....just FYI
The following 2 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
tommymonza (10-11-2023), Wally (10-11-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.