another lanyard reason >

another lanyard reason

Notices

another lanyard reason

Old 08-24-2017, 03:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Just got mine in, I ordered the black one. Pretty comfy. $11.16 from Amazon Prime.
Originally Posted by SB
Look just like the below pic. Available Amazon Prime for $11.00-$13.00
Link: http://a.co/5AbZ7dM

Or the companies website $10.95 + $4-$5 shipping (all colors available here of course)
PRO FLOATING LANYARD WRIST BAND [] - $10.95 : Atlantis Enterprises, ATV and Watercraft Accessories

Old 09-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Had the lanyard get pulled out at 35 in a line of other boats going the same speed. Close quarters on a busy weekend during scallop season. Scary as sh*t praying that every one behind me was aware that I was without power.Every body went around but the first guy got close.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

As some before posted. A clip onto the belt loop of the aftcos is all I need. I have no issue with where the kill is mounted on my 242. I have made my own lanyards for all of my boats out of paracord. Never had a problem.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ph1971
Had the lanyard get pulled out at 35 in a line of other boats going the same speed. Close quarters on a busy weekend during scallop season. Scary as sh*t praying that every one behind me was aware that I was without power.Every body went around but the first guy got close.
Curious, how did it get pulled out? I have often worried about that happening in close quarters such as a Poker Run. I have had the clip weaken with age and relax just enough so that it allowed the switch to activate when I hit a small wake and kill the motor. I now carry a spare.

Padraig
Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

wife was putting sunscreen on my shoulders and bumped the lanyard from behind me. Doesn't take much to knock it off. I bumped the switch another time and it separated enough to trip the switch but didn't come off. We were out there for 30 minutes scratching our heads until a friend said check the kill switch. I touched it and it clicked back up into place. Both times were pretty embarrassing.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks, good to know to check that first.

Padraig
Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There are more than a few kill switches on the market, but the Mercury option is the one you want. You can't "bump" it to kill position. I highly recommend it. It does not require a lanyard attached to it to run. It's a simple SPDT toggle switch with a hood that get's turned off with the lanyard is yanked out. And you can put any number of types of lanyard "loops" in there. I always bought ones designed for PWC that matched the colors on my boat, and cut off all the plastic pieces; and just used the loop on the end.

And I always clipped it to the BOTTOM of my shorts' leg opening, via a carabiner. It gave me plenty of movement around the front of the cockpit, and if I was getting close to a yank, I could feel it tugging my shorts against my leg.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I always have for years. Have one that goes on my wrist. It's such a habit I don't even notice putting it on anymore.
same here, its actually second nature now like riding in a car without a seat belt on, you notice it not being on.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I MUCH prefer putting a carabiner on the end of my lanyard, and hooking it over the waist of my shorts, or sometimes on the lower seam of the leg opening on the shorts. This keeps the lanyard COMPLETELY OUT of my way so I can use either hand anywhere at anytime on the dash/wheel/controls, waving, or holding my drink.
years ago it was recommended to me to use the wrist for the above reasons, you get into a mind set that knows when its not on. Sort of train the subconscious. I believe Tres Martin recommends using the wrist for this very reason and sells velcro wrist wrap with the lanyard already attached. Its funny when i use to attach to my belt loop or shorts I'd kill the engine every so often moving around the helm/cockpit, not any more.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-07-2017, 06:34 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes Tres sells the wrist lanyards for years now. Also Jet skis have been using the wrist lanyard for what 40 years now ? Nothing new especially if you have ever driven a Jet Ski

Last edited by BUP; 09-07-2017 at 06:42 PM.