First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice >

First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice

Notices

First Boat, Looking for Launching Advice

Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There are several instructional videos on YouTube. Spend some time there. Ignore the "fail" videos for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...h+a+boat+alone
Old 10-28-2019, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

With your boat on the trailer make a reference mark on your bow strap so every time you load the boat you can winch to that exact spot and the boat will be in the same position no matter what ramp you use. I used a paint marker on the strap and when the mark touches the winch housing I stop, it works.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 10-28-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 07-06-2020, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Plug
Old 07-01-2023, 03:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by christineczerniak44
Im thinking of getting a boat, whats the best advice i can get
First thoughts would be “Don’t”.

If you’re still considering it, search the net and decide what style of boat you want, then look for something 5 feet longer and 20 mph faster.

Still with me? Determine your budget for the purchase, then double it.

You’re probably starting to think twice now but if you’re still keen, have a guess how much storage and maintenance will cost per year then triple that figure.

If nothing there puts you off, you’re ready for stage two. This is fun, you get to contact people about their boats for sale, hear endless stories about how it was owned by someone famous, goes faster than the speed of light, can handle 10’ seas with ease, has a fiberglass hull so it needs no maintenance and how the engines were rebuilt two months ago and are bullet proof.

Seriously, read a few classifieds, look at lots of photos, decide what style or brand name you like then have a look at a couple and get back on OSO and ask specific questions to find out about the inherent problems with the model you’ve chosen.

Good luck!

RR

Edit….. One last suggestion, stop with the meaningless one line replies to numerous threads, you’ll drive us all crazy.

Last edited by rak rua; 07-01-2023 at 04:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rak rua:
IGetWet (07-01-2023), Xcomunic8d (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 829 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
RR

Edit….. One last suggestion, stop with the meaningless one line replies to numerous threads, you’ll drive us all crazy.
They say fat chicks need loving too, so does that mean trolls need feeding as well??
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 05:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
They say fat chicks need loving too, so does that mean trolls need feeding as well??
Depends on what you feed them.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Good advice above, especially rak rua. It’s soo true all of it. let me add some ideas.

owning a boat is not a toy. It’s a lifestyle. What I drive, my landscaping, my weekends, my other hobbies, all rotates around my boating addiction. Make friends with other boat owners. Offer to pay for gas and ask to learn from a good cap. It’ll be money well spent and a friend made in need.

First address truck and trailer- if you have the skills before you start it ends better then have a checklist with assignments.

truck:
good tow mirrors are a must upgrade them if you don’t have them
always use 4x4 at the ramp (I use 4x4 low most of the time) and have good tires. Some kind of all terrain. KO2 or Open Country- all my buddies use one or other.
avoid low tide if you can due to green sludge on concrete ramps that stuff sucks
backup lights- this is a huge issue for trailers. Make sure it’s bright enough to see if backing at night

practice backing up an empty trailer. backup the empty trailer in a parking lot. Practice all you can. Nights at malls, empty parking lots, the marina, etc.

don’t worry about YOUTUBE OR PEOPLE WATCHING. BRING YOURSELF AND YOUR CREW BACK SAFE. the boat’s an added plus.

get a checklist
pretrip- ie light check, rods in boat, lures in boat (one time my buddy forgot them on his boat- he remembered on the water), plug, battery check/charge, grease trailer bearings, check safety gear, etc…
at the ramp- plug 2x check, Bimini up, stern tie downs removed, fenders ready
unloading- safety strap, tie down rope ready
return- fenders ready, rope ready
at the ramp- rods moved, roper in position, raise prop
and retrieved- truck driver, boat driver, wash down, rinse out motor, etc.,,

Last edited by Xcomunic8d; 07-01-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

All rak-rua said is true but still some of the best times you’ll have.