29 fountain with Chevy 1500 >

29 fountain with Chevy 1500

Notices

29 fountain with Chevy 1500

Old 06-18-2020, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK View Post
If the boat ramp is steep your could always go 4x4 mode, less chance of boating pulling truck down ramp?

Our ramp is always slimy so I put it in 4x4 every time.

I am actually starting to think about taking my truck to pick it up at the Ozarks (3-4 hour drive) The father in laws 2500 gasser is rated for 1000 lbs more than mine. My truck is just a little more comfortable to sit in for long periods.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see where you should have any issues with that package as long as the trailer has brakes and you have the GM built in brake controller. Use the 4WD for launching and pulling out of the water. MY '17 GMC has the towing package and I have towed a couple of different 33 & 35 boats with a tri axle trailer around town with no issues.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

My only suggestion would be to upgrade the trailer to EoH brakes if it doesn't have them already.
Why? Because EoH brakes work in reverse. Surge brakes do not.

While I am confident that your truck is plenty for the load. There is always that freak moment that it just doesn't have enough grip on the slimy ramp you mention. When you put it into 4x4, it should lock the front hubs in, and when you use your emergency/parking brake, you now are locking all four wheels. But in the past on various ramps, I've had the weight of the boat dragging all for locked wheels down a slimy/wet ramp.
EoH brakes will keep that from happening adding additional braking axles under all the weight that's dragging you to the wet stuff.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
My only suggestion would be to upgrade the trailer to EoH brakes if it doesn't have them already.
Why? Because EoH brakes work in reverse. Surge brakes do not.

While I am confident that your truck is plenty for the load. There is always that freak moment that it just doesn't have enough grip on the slimy ramp you mention. When you put it into 4x4, it should lock the front hubs in, and when you use your emergency/parking brake, you now are locking all four wheels. But in the past on various ramps, I've had the weight of the boat dragging all for locked wheels down a slimy/wet ramp.
EoH brakes will keep that from happening adding additional braking axles under all the weight that's dragging you to the wet stuff.

I am trying to get details on the trailer. The boat does not have one with it, but found one up the road from the boat. Hoping it has some decent options on it. Should be getting some pictures and info on it today. If it does have electric brakes I will have to purchase a brake controller as mine does not have one that I can tell. Assuming the trailer is in decent shape I will be upgrading parts on it over the boat for the first little bit I am sure.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been towing things the size of your Fountain with a modern 1/2 ton for several years. For short distances it works just fine. I put E load rated tires and airbags in them and it helped a lot. Now that I've decided to go long distances for vacations etc I got a diesel 2500.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
I have the same truck and tow my 272 Islander just fine. If you’re cris crossing the state something more HD would be much more comfortable but for what you’re talking about a Jeep Wrangler would nearly be adequate.
That 29 Fountain is no bigger than your 27' Baja.........
The following users liked this post:
CaRoCoN (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
That 29 Fountain is no bigger than your 27' Baja.........
you take that back! :P

length wise it should be, but going to be a little heavier and a triple axle trailer instead of a tandem.. I’ll only be towing it to the boat ramp and back and the 1-2 times a year to LOTO and back if that.