Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   29 fountain with Chevy 1500 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/366973-29-fountain-chevy-1500-a.html)

DallasBAJA 06-17-2020 10:49 AM

29 fountain with Chevy 1500

Hello,

I might be purchasing a 29 fountain with a single engine and triple axle trailer. This was not in our foreseen future, but got a great deal on the boat so making it a possibility. I have a 2013 Chevy 1500 5.3 6 speed. I plan to use my father in laws Chevy 2500 6.0 to get the boat back to our home lake of Lake Perry KS, Once there the boat will be stored on the trailer across the street from the marina. My question is, are there any concerns with me using my 1500 to take the boat across the street to the ramp and putting in and taking out of the water. Every once in a while I might have to take it on a 10 mile round trip journey to the gas station and back, but I wouldnt be apposed to borrowing the 2500 again to do that if everyone thinks it is necessary. I am replacing my shocks/struts, doing a transmission and rear diff service in the next couple of weeks. Thinking about doing some airbags possibly, but might wait to see if it has any trouble first. I know there are several posts about this on the forum already, but none with such a short round trip. When the wife's car is due for an upgrade we will be purchasing something with more towing capacity to handle the boat even on longer trips, but for now it is not in the budget.

Thanks in advance.

26 Outlaw Bad Influence 06-17-2020 12:31 PM

Comparison

No expert, but IMO, across the street seems fine. I’d be leery in traffic or for any distance. I tow a 26 Outlaw with a 1/2 ton Chevy. Load leveler shocks and 8000 lb tow capacity. Twin axle steel trailer with surge brakes. The Fountain and triple axle runs about 1000 lbs more, by my estimation. With 1/2 tank fuel, holding tank, and gear, I’m towing about 6000, again by my estimate. Just some numbers to consider, but for sure I’d make certain the trailer brakes were serviced.

Baja Rooster 06-17-2020 12:53 PM

I have the same truck and tow my 272 Islander just fine. If you’re cris crossing the state something more HD would be much more comfortable but for what you’re talking about a Jeep Wrangler would nearly be adequate.

waterplay 06-17-2020 01:17 PM

Your 1500 should have a tow rating around 8000lbs. The Fountain will be something around 5500lbs. add fuel, “STUFF” in the boat and the trailer you will be close to the 8000lbs. The short distance you are moving the boat you should be fine. You should also be ok to move it to get gas. Having said that you will always be better with a 2500 over the 1500. You should also check your truck to see what its rated for. My 1500 is factory set up for about 9500lbs.

DallasBAJA 06-17-2020 01:20 PM

This is all what I was thinking as well. When I say across the street I mean literally across the street. I should not go more than 10mph with this truck and trailer combo normally. The only time I would is to get fuel which is probably a 5-10 mile round trip out in the country with not a lot of traffic. I guess my only concern would be when I have to put the truck in park putting the Ebrake on at the ramp to unhook the boat. Also, I typically back the truck all the way down just before I get into the water and my wife gets in to back it the rest of the way while I hop in the boat. I was not sure if there were any limitations. My biggest fear would be the parking pawl breaking and the truck goes back down into the water. Im not sure if that is even a thing that happens, but about my only fear.

DallasBAJA 06-17-2020 01:53 PM

I actually started looking at the RPO codes on my truck, and If I am reading all of the correctly i should be able to tow 9500 lbs with the truck I had. I thought I was closer to the 7000 mark. This is making me feel a whole lot better about this situation.

Is there somewhere on these Chevy's that it will tell you exactly what you tow rating is?

Baja Rooster 06-17-2020 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA (Post 4744022)
I actually started looking at the RPO codes on my truck, and If I am reading all of the correctly i should be able to tow 9500 lbs with the truck I had. I thought I was closer to the 7000 mark. This is making me feel a whole lot better about this situation.

Is there somewhere on these Chevy's that it will tell you exactly what you tow rating is?

Drivers side door jamb.

Padraig 06-17-2020 04:35 PM

I have hauled two similar size single engine boats. Both Velocity, a 280 and a VR 1. I have used Suburbans and Yukon XL with a 5.3. I do have the trailer package which includes a tranny cooler and lower rear end. I have hauled as far as Florida to Western NY. I do have disk brakes on both trailer Axel's. Although there have been no problems I will be adding electric over hydraulic brake system. There short answer is....you should be good to go.

Oh, congrats on the new boat and have fun!

Padraig

boostbros 06-17-2020 08:51 PM

every year i launch and pull out an 13 wide 33 foot long 18,000 pound trojan 10 meter boat with a chevy 5.3 even i,m amazed at how well it pulls it .....stopping is a challenge though

PA.WOODCHUCK 06-18-2020 06:57 AM

If the boat ramp is steep your could always go 4x4 mode, less chance of boating pulling truck down ramp?