Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making the trip to Bimini

We will be making the trip for the first time over to Bimini and would like
Some info in doing so. Questions I have are:
Where to launch from, once over there where is the customs office
Marinas where accommodations for washing clothes, taking a shower etc..
Like I said it is the first time for us going over so any info will be a great help.
Thanks!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 367 Likes on 246 Posts

do it with the florida powerboat group or association they are going there this w-end i think!
i got to go there with my boat soon!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

We went with the FPC a couple weekends ago, they made the process very easy. We had a amazing time and highly recommend the trip.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went early August. Left on a Saturday and all the rooms at the Hilton were sold out. Stayed at Bimini Sands. Cheap rooms. Awesome floating docks in a protected area inside the compound. Amazing pool.

We cleared customs at Big Game Club. It was simple.

Make sure you take your flags - yellow, US, and Bahamas.

Do not take a gun unless you take a cruiser and are going to sleep with your gun. You can not have a gun on a center console - this is a new rule we learned about.

We departed from Miami Beach Marina and crossed in 2-3s. Ran about 40mph and it was comfortable.

When we do it again, I will not have to be in a hurry to get back. I will stay at the Hilton and arrange some fishing while I'm over there.

It's one of the coolest boating things I've ever done. Sitting in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight made this Kansas boy feel pretty tiny.

I would tell plenty of people when you are going to leave and make sure you tell them if you don't check in around a certain time to start getting worried. I have a sat phone and didn't bring it but I will from now on.

I think it's going to become pretty routine (already is for many) now that the Hilton is so popular.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by recoverycharters
We went early August. Left on a Saturday and all the rooms at the Hilton were sold out. Stayed at Bimini Sands. Cheap rooms. Awesome floating docks in a protected area inside the compound. Amazing pool.

We cleared customs at Big Game Club. It was simple.

Make sure you take your flags - yellow, US, and Bahamas.

Do not take a gun unless you take a cruiser and are going to sleep with your gun. You can not have a gun on a center console - this is a new rule we learned about.

We departed from Miami Beach Marina and crossed in 2-3s. Ran about 40mph and it was comfortable.

When we do it again, I will not have to be in a hurry to get back. I will stay at the Hilton and arrange some fishing while I'm over there.

It's one of the coolest boating things I've ever done. Sitting in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight made this Kansas boy feel pretty tiny.

I would tell plenty of people when you are going to leave and make sure you tell them if you don't check in around a certain time to start getting worried. I have a sat phone and didn't bring it but I will from now on.

I think it's going to become pretty routine (already is for many) now that the Hilton is so popular.
I strongly prefer Bimini Sands......it is very nice and I like the marina exit directly to the ocean. Hilton is up that long channel and I don't like the "corporate" feel of that whole project. Locals and environmentalists both are outraged at the ecological damage that project caused also. Hilton might get a better clientele now that the "big red boat" filled with $99 cruise ship passengers has failed.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I strongly prefer Bimini Sands......it is very nice and I like the marina exit directly to the ocean. Hilton is up that long channel and I don't like the "corporate" feel of that whole project. Locals and environmentalists both are outraged at the ecological damage that project caused also. Hilton might get a better clientele now that the "big red boat" filled with $99 cruise ship passengers has failed.
+1
Old 11-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Registered

We went Sep 18 in a 40' Formula, a very cool trip. A couple of notes:
We made sure everything, I mean everything was in working order on the boat, full fuel, fluids, ice, drinks and H2O. Nothing was left in question, I even brought my EPIRB.
Check the weather and sea forecast several days out watching tides to make sure all will be reasonably calm to cross the gulfstream. We were lucky and could run up to 50+ mph (but didn't to conserve fuel).
Leave early in the morning out of Haulover inlet, just in case you run into issues, as this from what I know is the closest point from A-to-B via GPS.
Once upon arrival, you can cut into the main inlet and head all the way back to the Hilton; or upon arrival, there is another small jetty and channel inlet to the south with small hotels (this could be Bimini Sands as pstori mentioned). We opted to sleep on the boat..it was easy and we had plenty of room.
Other than that, make sure you go south about 10mi to stingray bay/island, it's just past the large ship that ran aground (watch your depth!).
For return, do the same, be wise and all will turn out to be an excellent trip. I'm sure we'll go back in June, just PM me and we can make the cross.
Like recoverycharter said, it was one of the coolest trips I have made, water so crystal clear, sharks and stingrays were unbelievable, white white sand beaches........memories of the finest!
Let me know if you want pics....after seeing them, you'll definitely want to do it.

Last edited by high bid; 11-10-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely send some pics. so my better half won't be so chicken about the crossing.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...rname=high-bid
I added pics to my photos or...this link may take you to all of them.

Last edited by high bid; 11-20-2016 at 07:31 PM. Reason: unable to display pic in forum
Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by high bid
We went Sep 18 in a 40' Formula, a very cool trip. A couple of notes:
We made sure everything, I mean everything was in working order on the boat, full fuel, fluids, ice, drinks and H2O. Nothing was left in question, I even brought my EPIRB.
Check the weather and sea forecast several days out watching tides to make sure all will be reasonably calm to cross the gulfstream. We were lucky and could run up to 50+ mph (but didn't to conserve fuel).
Leave early in the morning out of Haulover inlet, just in case you run into issues, as this from what I know is the closest point from A-to-B via GPS.
Once upon arrival, you can cut into the main inlet and head all the way back to the Hilton; or upon arrival, there is another small jetty and channel inlet to the south with small hotels (this could be Bimini Sands as pstori mentioned). We opted to sleep on the boat..it was easy and we had plenty of room.
Other than that, make sure you go south about 10mi to stingray bay/island, it's just past the large ship that ran aground (watch your depth!).
For return, do the same, be wise and all will turn out to be an excellent trip. I'm sure we'll go back in June, just PM me and we can make the cross.
Like recoverycharter said, it was one of the coolest trips I have made, water so crystal clear, sharks and stingrays were unbelievable, white white sand beaches........memories of the finest!
Let me know if you want pics....after seeing them, you'll definitely want to do it.
Bimini Sands is the hotel/condos on the right side of the main channel.
Sunken ship is the Sapona
Honeymoon harbor is where the stingrays are is at Gun Cay. Left side of Gun Cay is Cat Cay (private island) but they will allow you to come and shop in their supermarket and enjoy their restaurant/bar for a day......after a day you have to leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.