Planning trip to Staniel in June

Notices

Planning trip to Staniel in June

Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Planning trip to Staniel in June

I plan on making the crossing in one day if all works out, leaving out of Dania inlet at sunlight (depending on weather of course), crossing to Bimini, checking in and topping off fuel, then on to Nassau if conditions are supposed to be good in the tongue of the ocean, if not, stop in Chub and top off, then on to Nassau, top off, then on to Staniel. Boat has a 150 gallon tank and I think I'm getting about 1 mpg cruising (maybe a little better, I'll confirm this before we go of course )

Should I get gas in Nassau or somewhere else on the island? Better to pass east of new providence than west? Anybody got any pointers? Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

We are Headed to Bimini on Thursday June 7th, Topping off with fuel then off to Chub Cay. Leaving out of Haulover inlet.

Chris
Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Our reservation is for 4th-7th. We may be crossing paths at some point. Are you staying at chub or going somewhere else?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Registered

Might Stay the night of the 7th then off to Chub the next day. Or might just go straight to Chub. When we get to Chub we plan on staying a couple nights. Is the 4-7 your entire trip or just your stay in Bimini.
Chris
Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Might Stay the night of the 7th then off to Chub the next day. Or might just go straight to Chub. When we get to Chub we plan on staying a couple nights. Is the 4-7 your entire trip or just your stay in Bimini.
Chris
We have reservations in staniel cay the nights of the 4th thru the 7th, I thought about going early and staying a night in bimini or maybe chub.
edit- Does chub have anywhere close to the marina to stay? Reasonable rates?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:15 AM
Registered

This is the only place I know of and it is on the expensive side. Best bang for the buck is Bimini.

Chub Cay Resort

Chris
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got back home after a month in the Exumas. I recommend getting gas whenever you can, Staniel Cay Yacht Club was out of fuel one of the weeks I was down there and Highbourne Cay closed their fuel dock early on my way back to Nassau. When I arrived in Nassau and fueled up, I put in 295 gallons in a 310 gallon tank. I crossed over from West Palm to Nassau in terrible sea conditions and used 241 gallons of gas to Nassau in a 39 Nortech w/ 3-400's
Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bleek
Just got back home after a month in the Exumas. I recommend getting gas whenever you can, Staniel Cay Yacht Club was out of fuel one of the weeks I was down there and Highbourne Cay closed their fuel dock early on my way back to Nassau. When I arrived in Nassau and fueled up, I put in 295 gallons in a 310 gallon tank. I crossed over from West Palm to Nassau in terrible sea conditions and used 241 gallons of gas to Nassau in a 39 Nortech w/ 3-400's

Bimini ran dry a couple years ago when I was there. Cat Cay had fuel but if you weren't a member/resident they would only sell you 10-20 gallons. Dockmaster at Bimini Sands said it happens frequently because they have the same fuel tanks they did 10+ years ago yet the boats now are all showing up with 3-4-5 motors, consuming more fuel!

Buy fuel whenever/where ever you can so you don't get caught short when you want to leave!
Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Well we’re getting ready to go. Been fine tuning things on the boat. Still got a leaky raw water pump on the rt motor to address. I went ahead and bought a nice epirb and rented a sat phone again. I plan on stopping at Bimini to check in and fuel up there, Chubb and Nassau, hope to cross over in 8-10 hours. All depends on the weather of course...
Old 05-28-2018, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

You can run8-10 hours without fueling ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.