Bahama Fuel Stops? >

Bahama Fuel Stops?

Notices

Bahama Fuel Stops?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bahama Fuel Stops?

So in planning a trip, I am curious about fuel stops? I know Bob the builder is Diesel, and its easier to find in bad locations. Let alone he can carry alot more and run farther then myself.

So, is there a map of fuel stops? is it possible to make it to Big Major Cay / Pig beach in a 34 footer twin gas motors? 150 gallon boat? or is this just to remote to justify?

If you make the Run to Bimini, would you run out of places to see in a 1-2 weeks time frame? or would going to Grand Bahamas, and then to the Aboco's give you more of the experience?.

I am not staying in a resort, this will be a trip of 1/2 the time on the hook, and the other 1/2 paying for a slip with power (boat has Genny, AC and Vacuflush so should not be to bad.)

also My boat cant dump holding tank over board, is there pump outs pretty common in these waters?

I know a lot of questions, but feel free to answer what you know.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 559 Likes on 335 Posts

Awesome. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

From Fort Lauderdale to Big Majors is over 250 miles. That is a long run without a stop. You would probably be better off running to Nassau, clearing customs and fueling then continuing on your way. If you want to go towards the pigs at Staniel Cay, you should look into stopping in Compass Cay about 15 miles north west and petting the sharks. Compass Cay is probably my favorite marina I have ever visited down there.

Good luck with the trip!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Registered

I am not sure where you are leaving from. If miami head to Bimini for two days then head to west end for two more then head to abaco, green turtle, then marsh harbor. From there you can island hop. I would stay at abaco beach marina. Final stop Eleuthera. Then on the way back Nassau, Bimini and home. Get the Bahamas cruising guide it better then any charts or gps it will tell you all the ways to go and places to see. Gas on that cruise is available on most all islands. Texico used to produce a chart with all their places. But you shouldn't have a problem except for the cost. Have a good trip.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get on https://activecaptain.com/X.php they have all the latest reviews on marinas and other facilities you might need
Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergja
I am not sure where you are leaving from. If miami head to Bimini for two days then head to west end for two more then head to abaco, green turtle, then marsh harbor. From there you can island hop. I would stay at abaco beach marina. Final stop Eleuthera. Then on the way back Nassau, Bimini and home. Get the Bahamas cruising guide it better then any charts or gps it will tell you all the ways to go and places to see. Gas on that cruise is available on most all islands. Texico used to produce a chart with all their places. But you shouldn't have a problem except for the cost. Have a good trip.
Skip West End......nothing there! Most just use it as a check in to clear customs but there is nothing there but Old Bahama Bay and it is more Palm Beach than Bahamian!
http://www.oldbahambay.com/home.aspx

Two restaurants, two bars (both are sloooowwwww on service and high on price). Nothing to do there outside of the resort, Grand Bahama is on the other side of the island.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
From Fort Lauderdale to Big Majors is over 250 miles. That is a long run without a stop. You would probably be better off running to Nassau, clearing customs and fueling then continuing on your way. If you want to go towards the pigs at Staniel Cay, you should look into stopping in Compass Cay about 15 miles north west and petting the sharks. Compass Cay is probably my favorite marina I have ever visited down there.

Good luck with the trip!
good info from all but this is possibly what we may do... Any thoughts as to how the water is after you make it to nassua? i know its another open water crossing but its not crossing the stream so easier?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It truthfully all depends on the day. It can be really nice and calm, or a descent chop. Just remember, once you are there, it is shallow. Really shallow, so it can kick up pretty easily. However, once you get in between the islands, they do break it up. once you make it down to exuma, there are islands everywhere with little marinas and restaurants all within a reasonable cruise. You can always set up shop in one location and go on awesome day trips. Within a short distance of Staniel cay there is compass cay where you can pet sharks. Allen cay has Iguanas that you can feed. Thunderball cave to snorkel. Lots of empty beachs to go anchor off us and have a beach lunch. The options are really endless. Just make sure you have a good GPS and up to date charts because once you get near exuma there are shoals that you can run right up on and all of a sudden you are in a foot of water.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
It truthfully all depends on the day. It can be really nice and calm, or a descent chop. Just remember, once you are there, it is shallow. Really shallow, so it can kick up pretty easily. However, once you get in between the islands, they do break it up. once you make it down to exuma, there are islands everywhere with little marinas and restaurants all within a reasonable cruise. You can always set up shop in one location and go on awesome day trips. Within a short distance of Staniel cay there is compass cay where you can pet sharks. Allen cay has Iguanas that you can feed. Thunderball cave to snorkel. Lots of empty beachs to go anchor off us and have a beach lunch. The options are really endless. Just make sure you have a good GPS and up to date charts because once you get near exuma there are shoals that you can run right up on and all of a sudden you are in a foot of water.
Great information and spot on. As I read it, it brought back many great memories of nice travels south of Nassau through the Exumas etc. As has been mentioned there are lots of fuel stops throughout the Islands and you will not have any difficulty finding fuel. En route to Nassau I have fuelled at Bimini ( north or south ), North Cat Cay, Chub Cay in the Berry's and of coarse Nassau. Beyond that Highborne Cay near Allen's Cay where the iguanas are and then Staniel Cay near the piggy island, Big Major Cay. The Active Captain link that Wobble posted will a great help but don't cut it too close in refuelling as marinas can be closed if out of fuel or someone decides to go fishing or take a day off. LOL While I did get out to Bimini 3 times this season I was disappointed time did not allow me to go further. Enjoy the trip Mittens, you will love it.

Bob
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

awesome on the info. Fuel was my concern. as I have 2 weeks, total so 7-10 days there I would think we can make our way to some awesome places, and back. Just did not know if a 34 footer with 150 gallons would make it, but just fill it up at every stop, and keep working my way down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.