Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Checkmate (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/checkmate-53/)
-   -   March Madness (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/checkmate/124999-march-madness.html)

RJBBC 03-15-2006 10:40 PM

March Madness

I am not a basketball fan. March always brings a smile to my face because I know boating is right around the corner. Where do you live and when are you launching your boat in 2006? :evilb:

cbgenrl 03-15-2006 11:48 PM

Re: March Madness

Rob..........how can you pass up a perfectly good reason to toss back cold ones and gamble???

By the way, I checked your boat out last weekend. Looks good!!! Last year I boated April 1st, we'll see if I get that lucky again.........

Magic Medicine 03-16-2006 03:44 PM

I am picking up a new to me ZT 280 this weekend. I hope to hit the water as soon as it warms up in Northern Indiana! :drink:

375stinger 03-16-2006 07:04 PM

well splash the 18 once the powerhead gets back, should be about 2 weeks. we will use it to keep other boats out of our big slip for the cig at jamestown :evilb: . wild willy, where do you launch at, or do you have a slip?

Vinny P 03-16-2006 07:49 PM

I splash May 1 . Cant wait. :D I just started another project. Still waiting for a few parts to arrive. They should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it done this weekend. I should have done this last year when I built the engine, but didnt. I am changing my stock oil cooling system to a thermistatic controlled Hardin Marine set-up. Should make a big difference. I'll post a few pictures when done.

RJBBC 03-16-2006 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I splash May 1 . Cant wait. :D I just started another project. Still waiting for a few parts to arrive. They should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it done this weekend. I should have done this last year when I built the engine, but didnt. I am changing my stock oil cooling system to a thermistatic controlled Hardin Marine set-up. Should make a big difference. I'll post a few pictures when done.

Hatch scoop(thought about, not done), modified side vents and now a modified oil cooling system. How much heat was the 540 creating?

REBEL4845 03-16-2006 08:36 PM

I took a short ride last saturday out of New Buffalo MI. It was a strong south wind, but the lake was flat and air temp wasn't bad.

Check454, I did the same cooler last year. It was a pain to mount and fit. I couldn't mount it in the same location as the stock one. I had to change every hose and mount. I have an older one in which the seat has to come out to do anything. What temps were you running last year?

Magic, where are the picts of that new ride?!

RJBBC 03-16-2006 08:41 PM

We are going to launch within weeks. This brings up a common question. How cold does it have to get and for how long before you crack the block? Most of us want to maximize our boating season but at what expense. Anyone out there how has experienced a cracked block?

Vinny P 03-16-2006 08:52 PM

RJBBC,

The oil was getting a bit hot on long runs, about 260*. I was concerned that my stock cooler didnt have enough flow to keep up. Also, it may have been by-passing. With this new system, the temps are controlled by a t-stat. The cooler is overkill. Plenty of flow with 3/4" pipe threads on all the pieces and -12 AN line. The problem is having enough space to mount all this stuff. :mad:

Magic Medicine 03-17-2006 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by REBEL4845
I took a short ride last saturday out of New Buffalo MI. It was a strong south wind, but the lake was flat and air temp wasn't bad.

Check454, I did the same cooler last year. It was a pain to mount and fit. I couldn't mount it in the same location as the stock one. I had to change every hose and mount. I have an older one in which the seat has to come out to do anything. What temps were you running last year?

Magic, where are the picts of that new ride?!

I am going to pick it up tomorrow. The picks will come soon!!!