Going to try a -2 Imco lower on my 259

Notices

Going to try a -2 Imco lower on my 259

Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to try a -2 Imco lower on my 259

I finally found a used Imco -2 lower in great condition from a guy here on OSO. Luckily for me, he was only a 1/2 hour drive from here. I took it apart, all the internals were in great shape. I am going to install a spare set of cryoed lower gears I had on the shelf. I had to order a few minor parts from Imco, nothing major. I should have it all back together next week. The next chance I get, I plan on swapping lowers and testing it out. I will post results soon.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I finally found a used Imco -2 lower in great condition from a guy here on OSO. Luckily for me, he was only a 1/2 hour drive from here. I took it apart, all the internals were in great shape. I am going to install a spare set of cryoed lower gears I had on the shelf. I had to order a few minor parts from Imco, nothing major. I should have it all back together next week. The next chance I get, I plan on swapping lowers and testing it out. I will post results soon.
Very interested in the results. I wonder how planing and overall handling will be influenced. I am going to guess an additional 2mph on the top end.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Cool let us know what happens.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Registered

Great, please post the results. I have one for sale if anyone is interested. Email me at [email protected]
Old 06-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I finished assembling the lower today. If the weather holds, I will try it out this Tuesday. I'll post results.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I got the shorty on today and gave it a run. The results are good. Getting on plane was no problem at all. I took it a bit easier on the stick than usual, I experienced no blow out at all. I expect to be able to get on plane as usual the next time out. Turning at speed was not a problem, the prop stayed hooked up. I am running a Hydromotive P5-X. I dropped the trim as I usually do when turning, nothing different was needed. Now for speed results. First with the conditions... The water was dead flat calm today. Not even a ripple. 85* and humid. As for my experiences with this boat, thats not good for speed runs. I had 3/4 tank of fuel, I was the only one on board. With the hot weather and calm sea conditions, I was able to match my best speed as I could run with the standard lower , in great conditions. 83 mph... The unusual thing is that the tach was the same as usual throughout the range. The slip seems to be about the same. I was expecting it to go up. I think I have to verify that my tach is accurate. Something isnt right. The next test will be to run in the ocean. Today , was not a good day. Very big swells. Too big for a small Checkmate. With better conditions, I expect to see 85 or 86 mph. In my opinion, the test was a success.
So to all you 259 owners, go find yourselves a -2 Imco lower.

Last edited by Vinny P; 06-05-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Awesome results! Keep us posted!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I got the shorty on today and gave it a run. The results are good. Getting on plane was no problem at all. I took it a bit easier on the stick than usual, I experienced no blow out at all. I expect to be able to get on plane as usual the next time out. Turning at speed was not a problem, the prop stayed hooked up. I am running a Hydromotive P5-X. I dropped the trim as I usually do when turning, nothing different was needed. Now for speed results. First with the conditions... The water was dead flat calm today. Not even a ripple. 85* and humid. As for my experiences with this boat, thats not good for speed runs. I had 3/4 tank of fuel, I was the only one on board. With the hot weather and calm sea conditions, I was able to match my best speed as I could run with the standard lower , in great conditions. 83 mph... The unusual thing is that the tach was the same as usual throughout the range. The slip seems to be about the same. I was expecting it to go up. I think I have to verify that my tach is accurate. Something isnt right. The next test will be to run in the ocean. Today , was not a good day. Very big swells. Too big for a small Checkmate. With better conditions, I expect to see 85 or 86 mph. In my opinion, the test was a success.
So to all you 259 owners, go find yourselves a -2 Imco lower.
Thanks for sharing the numbers. I am curious to see how you feel about the -2 with more seat time. We will wait on the purchase until you have a few more runs.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

ANy more testing with the 2" lower? How does it effect the porpoising? Ive got a bravo 1 4 blade on my 253 and im about 300rpms low, I was thinking of trying a shorter lower before I send the prop out to be labbed. Should pick up some rpm's i would think.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

No I havent been able to test any further. The weather here has sucked. I hope to run it tomorrow. I'll post results.

Quick Reply: Going to try a -2 Imco lower on my 259

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.