Hyd. steering 2001 240ZT >

Hyd. steering 2001 240ZT

Notices

Hyd. steering 2001 240ZT

Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyd. steering 2001 240ZT

Ok, time to put the hydraulic steering on the Checkmate and I'm going with the Imco tie in single ram for now, SA 30 I believe is the part number. Anyone know the correct length ram I need??? There are several choices 4.87ML, 6.37 (standard), 9.75 and 11.25. Will measure tomorrow but thought someone may have been there done that deal.
2001 240ZT.
Adding headers this year and just about done with that install and while I have things apart might as well do it.
496HO with Whipple stage 2 set-up so with the maybe couple of MPH's the headers give me I think Hyd. steering is a safe thing to do since I’m already doing over 70mph.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 05:32 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I cant help you with the length of the rams, but I will say you will be happy with Imcos system. I installed their dual ram full hydraulic system a few years ago. What a difference from the cable and tiller arm p.o.s. Its a real good investment. Good luck with the installation.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Registered

Brian,

Whats happening? Not sure what length ram you need, but I do know you need one of the shorter ones because of the placement of the tabs. Your going to want a system that will allow full steering movement, the rams will be mounted closer to the outdrive than the trim tabs.

Good luck,

Andy
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

Hey Andy, how have you been?
Looks like you sold the Check and got a Sunsation?
I remember you had a similar set-up but had the dual rams.
Yep it's a trim tabs issue that I'm worried about clearance and just want to know if anyone else has the correct length known for my boat.

Brian
Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

I have been good and you? The Check went to a good home near Kalamazoo, Reality Check on the board. It was time to upgrade, I seem to lose interest in boats pretty quickly. D'oh. Did you understand what I was talking, the full range of steering motion, yet the rams are mounted closer to the drive. I am almost postive that Imco makes a system that mounts the rams closer the to center line of the drive train. For example just throwing out random numbers, the mounts will be app 15-17" from the center line verses 20??" from the center line. This way you still get the full range of steering ability side to side. How far are your tabs mounted away from the centerline of your drive train. If I remember correctly, I THINK mine were about 21-22". Hope all is well and this helps. Hope to see ya on Hardy Pond. BTW, I will be at Torch over the 4th, you guyz going up?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Not getting a spot down to Brower this year but hope to get into the camp ground just before Brower. Maybe a little more traveling this year?
I just went out to the garage and measured 14" from the side of the gimbal housing to the tabs. A little room between the tap and where the cyl. rams bolt up but I want to stay away from that I hope.
I guess I'll call Imco Monday and see what they have to say.
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

So I called Imco today and talked to a great sales guy named Ron. He hooked me up with thier SA-1 kit along with the correct valve and drill bit to add the extra bolts in the rear cap to help strengthen things up. The ram mounts 11.25" from the side of the gimbal housing and will clear the tabs without a problem. He said this kit will give a short turn radius I will want and is their standard set-up. The shorter ram kits are only if you have a very narrow boat and can't mount the ram further away and you also lose turning radius. Should be here in a week as he said it would ship today. $1,406.56 plus shipping of around $35.00. I will feel a lot safer running with this set-up and no money can replace a life!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info and I always want to save a little green. Next time I get some more boat stuff I'll give you a call. Might be needing a new Bravo1 prop, have a like new 24p I just picked up but guessing I'll need a 26p. Was running a 25 Mirage Plus that was lab finished by York Propllers. Hit a hair over 74mph on GPS with that one but want a little more control and mid range speed. Rev limit is set to 5,450 rpm's with the whipple program but don't like to run it that high.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered

Brian,

In my old boat with the 500 efi I could spin my bblades labbed 26 bravo 1 to 5100-5150 to the tune of 73-74 gps. I would give Brent a call he knows his chit.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

Andy,

Remember the time we ran back to Brower from the cove side by side, both boats ran very close to the same speed. For a 28' your old one ran very good. I should be very close to the blue motor power now I have the added headers and the ecm programmed. Hope to install the hydraulic steering by the end of next week and if the weather gets better maybe drop it in and get wet.

Quick Reply: Hyd. steering 2001 240ZT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.