Notices

260 & 280 ZT's?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 260 & 280 ZT's?

How fast are these with 496 Mag Ho's, and how do they ride? It looks like they have a small pad a long with a small step is this correct? Just wondering if they slice through the sloppy stuff or if they ride more like Velocity's.

Peace,
Rob
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

my 26 with 496 mag (not HO) runs a touch over 60mph fully loaded. when i say fully loaded i mean full fuel, full coolers (and i carry 4, 2 big 2 small and hold over 150 beers!!!!!!!!!! never mind food) full sleeping gear, 10 gal of fresh water 2 people or more etc etc etc. the boat has a strange hull design from what im used to the accual very bottom is some what round i looked at this and thought sure the boat would not track very well however the boat rides great. it rides a bit on the wet/levle side which imo makes it handle very well.
i am on the ocean, and on a good day im in 2-3 foot sea and ive been in as big as 6-8's i have no issue running 40-50 mph in the 2-3 footers once they get in the 4-5 range i need to trim down a touch to keep the boat in the water at the 30-40 mph range.

i can compair it to a couple boats, a 26 scarab a 272 baja, a 25 outlaw a 26 outlaw a 28 power quest (twins)
it is as good or better then every one listed above IMO again im not the 425 hp but same hull.
one of the outlaws tested had the same motor and ran about the same maybe a touch faster but the mate took the bigger water a little better i think.

overall i love my checkmate does everything i think a small boat should do, plus some
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered

ps. here is a pretty good article i cam up with while searching for info before i bought my ZT. boat tested has the big motor.

http://www.powerboattv.com/newboat/2...kmateZT260.asp
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Registered

I had a 99 ZT 280 with a 500efi. Once I had a my labbed I was able to run 70-71 everyday with the boat loaded. The boat would run 73-74 in the "best" conditions. I think the boat handled well, better than the 28 Nordic Heat that I owned but not as good as a 288 Sunsation. The quality was good and the hull is built well, very solid! With that being said, Checkmate leaves alot on the table in the terms of rigging. If I had to downsize I would buy either a 288 Sunny or a 28' AT as they are both better in the rough water! These run nothing like Velocity flexible flyers, those are a rough ride unless someone that REALLY knows the hull is befind the wheel. The mate does needs some driving once into the 70's!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered

You get what was ordered in the " RIGGING " department Checkmate will build what ever the customer wants.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
You get what was ordered in the " RIGGING " department Checkmate will build what ever the customer wants.
Care to elaborate?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
is this big red??????????????????????