Hull Blue Printing on a Checkmate >

Hull Blue Printing on a Checkmate

Notices

Hull Blue Printing on a Checkmate

Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hull Blue Printing on a Checkmate

Has anyone done any hull blue printing on a Checkmate with the beveled edges on the lifting strakes and transom? The common consensus is that a razor sharp edge on the strakes and transom is good for speed and handling but I would like some real world input on a Checkmate hull. I have a 283 which I am in the process of trying to make it "GO FASTER" and hull blue printing is one item I am considering.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you running now? And how fast?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Talk to Ryan9154. His old checkmate ran 101.7 and had the hull blueprinted. Amazing boat. Twin 714hp N/A 540 Valeko motors, 30ft. Handled on rails! Fun ride.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default .

I had a 283 that went 109.9 on the chips with 740 hp a side they were blown 498 ci bottom was blue printed hook was taken out i ran some custom 30 inch k planes that i made the plates helped handle a lot better .
The 283 has a mind of its own at hi speed with no tab i ran just a touch of tab all the time i also turned my props in and had a high x .

At 85 mph in 2 to 3 footers the boat was awesome the 2 biggest things i can say is have good steering and big tabs and sneek up on the real fast speeds because if it gets into a chine walk at high speed it can get bad in a hurry trust me been there done that .

I also found the 283 likes prop speed so a smaller wheel and rpm make it handled better.

Got a little side tracked sorry doing the bottom is a good thing for speed and handleing .

Last edited by gary cook; 12-26-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gary cook
I had a 283 that went 109.9 on the chips with 740 hp a side they were blown 498 ci bottom was blue printed hook was taken out i ran some custom 30 inch k planes that i made the plates helped handle a lot better .
The 283 has a mind of its own at hi speed with no tab i ran just a touch of tab all the time i also turned my props in and had a high x .

At 85 mph in 2 to 3 footers the boat was awesome the 2 biggest things i can say is have good steering and big tabs and sneek up on the real fast speeds because if it gets into a chine walk at high speed it can get bad in a hurry trust me been there done that .

I also found the 283 likes prop speed so a smaller wheel and rpm make it handled better.

Got a little side tracked sorry doing the bottom is a good thing for speed and handleing .

Thanks for the input. I have a 97 283 which would run 80 on GPS when stock. The boat always has had a chine walking problem above about 77 mph. I have added IMCO steering and Stellings Boxes set at the highest level. The engines were updated with HP 500 EFI cams, larger valves in the heads and stainless marine exhaust. The MEFI 1s were reprogrammed to match the engine upgrades. I never got the bugs out of this set up before melting the number 6 piston on both engines. While repairing the engines I plan to add Whipple Side Mount SCs and am sure the drives will need to be upgraded. I have also purchased 280S K Planes to replace the InstaTrim Tabs. As it sounds like you have a lot of experience with making this hull go fast I would appreciate any details you could provide on what works and what does not.
Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Talk to Ryan9154. His old checkmate ran 101.7 and had the hull blueprinted. Amazing boat. Twin 714hp N/A 540 Valeko motors, 30ft. Handled on rails! Fun ride.
Thanks for the input. I will contact Ryan9154 for his input on Checkmate improvements. My hull is quite a bit smaller than the 30' hull but all knowledge is good.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Contact Jason Kunkel at Kunkel's Marine. They have a 300(283) that runs close to 110 and he knows Checkmate set-ups inside and out.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Inspector
Thanks for the input. I have a 97 283 which would run 80 on GPS when stock. The boat always has had a chine walking problem above about 77 mph. I have added IMCO steering and Stellings Boxes set at the highest level. The engines were updated with HP 500 EFI cams, larger valves in the heads and stainless marine exhaust. The MEFI 1s were reprogrammed to match the engine upgrades. I never got the bugs out of this set up before melting the number 6 piston on both engines. While repairing the engines I plan to add Whipple Side Mount SCs and am sure the drives will need to be upgraded. I have also purchased 280S K Planes to replace the InstaTrim Tabs. As it sounds like you have a lot of experience with making this hull go fast I would appreciate any details you could provide on what works and what does not.
Thanks.
with boxes most of us run 380s plates since the drives are set 12'' back.