Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
Red 28ft race hull with twin Obs >

Red 28ft race hull with twin Obs

Notices

Red 28ft race hull with twin Obs

Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

From what I've been researching, the Ocean Outboard race boat ran 78-82 MPH. I'm finally getting down to finishing the deal on my 2800SX. The boat currently has twin 260's and runs into the 80's. I'm going to buy the boat with one of the 260's and sell off the powerhead. My plan is to run the boat with offshore single piston clamps, offshore mids, sportmasters or CLE's and stock 2.5 200hp powerheads with reeds. The boat should run 70+ with reliability!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

drove 20+ plus hours friday to get my nem 28 ......was on the water saturday.

one of the best days ive had on the water in a long time. great boat.

had to fix the hydraulic steering and replace a hub/prop nut/and keeper in on of the props that morning. cleaned greased both prop shafts. checked lower unit oil. just routine stuff. boat runs flawlessly so far.

never pushed the boat...ran it up to 60 a couple times...should have plenty more in it.... the tabs were down and i was just bareley trimmed turnin about 5700 rpm.

its TOTALLY different experience to me. but i love the sound (or lack there of). it seems big enought o handle decent water but small and light enough to still be nimble.

gnna finish out the cuddy with lighting and cushions and put sun pad on the back.....maybe put in a hatch on the bow.

i think i have a keeper. we'll see.

PS: Jerry and all the folks at GRAND SPORT CENTER IN MORRIS ILLINOIS get an AAAAA++++++ rating from me. most accommodating and business like transaction i have experienced in a loooong time.

Last edited by 2tonchevy; 06-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts
Default Great report.

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
drove 20+ plus hours friday to get my nem 28 ......was on the water saturday.

one of the best days ive had on the water in a long time. great boat.

had to fix the hydraulic steering and replace a hub/prop nut/and keeper in on of the props that morning. cleaned greased both prop shafts. checked lower unit oil. just routine stuff. boat runs flawlessly so far.

never pushed the boat...ran it up to 60 a couple times...should have plenty more in it.... the tabs were down and i was just bareley trimmed turnin about 5700 rpm.

its TOTALLY different experience to me. but i love the sound (or lack there of). it seems big enought o handle decent water but small and light enough to still be nimble.

gnna finish out the cuddy with lighting and cushions and put sun pad on the back.....maybe put in a hatch on the bow.

i think i have a keeper. we'll see.
Great looking boats and one of my favorites. Looking forward to some pix's and more details on it. Congrats.
Kinda nice when a plan actually works out
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered

man it was worth the drive for sure.

ive never owned or driven an outboard boat other than a bass boat....so i was really ignorant on the whole thing....i put at least 80 miles on er yesterday....

but after yesterday im pretty sure i made the right choice. trouble free times on the water with good friends.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, you'll love everything about the outbards, except the fuel bill.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

lol thanks!

i spent 90% of the time cruising at 4000 rpm and it didnt seem to use as much fuel as i originally thought.

to be honest it didnt seem to be much worse if any thaan my 28 scarab with a single 454.

but im sure if i open it up the gauge would start flyin. lol
Old 06-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

The 2.5s' get great fuel economy if you keep it under 4k. The 3 liters are pigs. I was hoping you would like the boat. I almost bought it a few years ago. It's a very nice and "economical" package. Enjoy!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds great and your posts have got me motivated. I should be joining you in owning another
Checkmate 2800SX outboard. They're pretty rare with less than 20 being built. I've only located 5 that exist today. Can't wait to start working on my boat!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bulletbob
The 2.5s' get great fuel economy if you keep it under 4k. The 3 liters are pigs. I was hoping you would like the boat. I almost bought it a few years ago. It's a very nice and "economical" package. Enjoy!!!
I hear ya, but who wants to run under 4k, the point in having a 2 stroke is to let it rev???
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Registered

heres a question (or two) for you guys:

what should i see for top speed?

whats the max rpm on the 2.5 promax?

ima start airing the boat out a bit more as i get used to it and just wana know what rpm/ speed i should be seeing when im maxed out. its got 26 pitch choppers on it now.....

LIGHTSPEED, the guy that built and rigged this boat from new with three different sets of motors, and i have been talkin and he says the boat ran 77 mph on gps with the exact setup i have now. i hope hes right! that would be killer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.