Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Checkmate (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/checkmate-53/)
-   -   K-Planes ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/checkmate/41472-k-planes.html)

Vinny P 01-20-2003 10:18 AM

K-Planes ???

I have a '99 259 Convincor. I am thinking about adding a set of Kiekhaeffer 280-S K-Planes. Has anyone else done this on this hull? Do you think I would see enough of an improvement over the standard trim tabs to be worth the $2K investment? Would they improve the back of this boat? I guess that answer would depend on how much you like to run in the rough stuff.

BRUCE SEROFF 01-20-2003 04:07 PM

I would recommend them. I put them on a 24 sport 240 and they made a world of difference leveling off the boat in the rough.

i think your a bit low on the 2000 investment. the parts alone will most likely cost between 2 and 3 k. Installation, if you dont do it your self will cost around a grand. So, more like 3500 before its all done.

if your gonna keep the boat for a while, go for it. but if your gonna sell it in a year or two, don t spend the money. you wont get your money back

Vinny P 01-20-2003 06:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Bruce. B.A.M. quotted me $1875 for the kit plus whatever $$ additonal for a couple of hoses from the pumps to the K-Planes. I would do the install myself. My concern is mounting the indicators and controls. I don't want to have any extra holes in the dash.

BRUCE SEROFF 01-20-2003 06:27 PM

Thats an excellent price considering they are listed with all misc. parts in Feb issue of Powerboat for 3,844.98. Maybe over inflated a bit. But 1,875 is dirt cheap. If you have Feb issue, pages 48-51 , its got the entire project article. Good luck, you will definately see a diiference, especially when the wind is hitting you from the side.

Vinny P 01-20-2003 07:03 PM

Bruce,
I saw that article in P.B. I assumed that price included installation. I hope Marc at B.A.M. didn't mis-quote me.

BRUCE SEROFF 01-20-2003 07:06 PM

You might want to double check with him. Get a complete written quote before your surprised with a bigger bill than you expected.

mpally 01-20-2003 09:27 PM

I think Checkmate was putting them on the 25's from the factory in the past. It seems that I talked with someone who said that they were a option. You might call Mike at the factory and ask him about it. I would also look into getting the 380's. I know ours likes to jump around a lot, so I would imagine that it would definitely make a difference. If you do it, let us know what the results are.

BRUCE SEROFF 01-20-2003 09:32 PM

I agree... better off gettin the 380s to start with. I had the 280s on my 28 Pantera and changed to the 380 plates. The plates alone, cost about 700. I think the 280s worked fine on my baja 24, but with the 28 footer and extension box, i felt i needed a bit more tab. I think youll be pleased with either.

Mate 229 01-21-2003 08:01 PM

I have the big ones on my 27 Fountain and love them. Gets on plane quickly and adjusts ride attitude very easily. Also adds a little length to the running surface. I suggest mechanical indicators which help assure where they are set at all times.
Good luck with the project.

Big E 01-21-2003 08:48 PM

Hey Checkmate454 - Check out the article in February's Powerboat magazine, it has installation steps and an article on putting them on a smaller boat. Good information. Eric