Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Checkmate (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/checkmate-53/)
-   -   Motor mounts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/checkmate/48135-motor-mounts.html)

convincor 04-19-2003 10:38 PM

Motor mounts

1 Attachment(s)
I did some searching and talked to a couple people about switching my 89' 251 convincor to off-shore style mounts.
Heard and read a lot of "no need" replies.
Well, while the engine was out I had noticed some cracks around where the stock mounts met the floor and on the front side of the mount on the corner.
So I decided that since i was in there playing with glass and resin,I would swap over to off-shore.
Boy am I glad I did!!!!
Look what I found:eek: :eek: :eek:
So rather than glass in new old style, I think it would be better and easier to swap. With the old out of the way, I'm going to glass with double bias mat from the floor up the stringer and over the top.

convincor 04-19-2003 10:41 PM

The mount completly removed

1 Attachment(s)
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Glad I didn't fix the cracks and drop the new 502 in...

Vinny P 04-20-2003 08:19 AM

Lucky you checked it out!!:eek: :eek:

convincor 04-20-2003 08:36 AM

The mount bolts were in solid wood, but that top piece was the only solid piece!!!!!!!!

dlbCheckmate 04-21-2003 10:37 AM

Great Job. Keep posting the photo's I would like to do the same job on my 86'

convincor 04-21-2003 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
opened up access holes, cleaned out some foam. The area that I ground down on the floor, then down the stringer and out approx 4-5" on the bottom is going to get another layer of double bias glass mat.

convincor 04-21-2003 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
made up the mounts yesterday.
6x6 3/8" aluminum. Cut 9" long, cut one leg down to 4".
The backing is same material just cut the corner off.
The side of the stringer that is in the hole is not the same thickness all the way to the bottom. I'm going to fill it in and add an other layer of glass to that side also.
I don't think they'll go anywhere.:D :D

dlbCheckmate 04-26-2003 04:31 PM

Looks good. What offshore mount are you going with ?

convincor 04-26-2003 04:37 PM

The one there are pitured in previous post.

convincor 04-29-2003 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished cleaning up the engine compartment, fixed the transom holes that i no longer needed or wanted.
I just didn't like the way some things had been done.
Washed the hole thing with acetone and really coarse pad made for paint stripping. D/A'ed the hole thing with 80 grit and washed with acetone again.Coated with air dry gel coat which I tinted to match the exterior of the hull.
The mounts are in. Caulked the backs of the mounts as well as the back of the backing plates and bolted them in.
Closed up the holes, And finished with gel coat.