*7 chris craft stinger 202 >

*7 chris craft stinger 202

Notices

*7 chris craft stinger 202

Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *7 chris craft stinger 202

Hi guys new to the site.I just picked up a stinger after i sold my baja last year i was lookin for something less expensive so I could justify only using it a dozen times a year.
I won't say how much i paid for the boat because i am sure it was too much but it needs a new interior new paint and some emgine controls.It also has cracked manifolds and a leaky water pump.
My initial thought was to drop a 400 small block that i took out of my s10 before sale.now i dont know if there is enough room to do it without making it a huge project . I wanted through hull exhaust but cant see where to put them without relocating the steering. also not real comfortable with cutting holesa in the transom.
I never really modded a boat before but have lots of experience with cars and trucks and engine work.the motor that is in it is the 4.3 205hp.I am oalso thinkin of modding the six as my dad has one in a car that makes 330whp.we had the boat in the water for a pre-sale run and it did 58 on gps. The boat only has 400 hrs on it but was not stored properly(at all) for the last six years. I have to completely redo the interior/ bulkhead? but the stringers and transom look good.
If any one has any ideas or suggestions about direction on motor, interior ,or exterior work/color schemes I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Nate
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Registered

The 400 is basically just a SBC as far as mounting goes, so It should fit the same width mounts as the V6 (just stronger ones!) Post the measurements of the gap between the stringer beds and I'll tell you if its the same as my 222. If it is, you could fit a 632 in if you wanted!

If I were you, I'd stick the 400 in, the V6 will never make enough torque without serious mods and the 400 will perform much better anyway. Your Alpha will survive the 400 as long as you're not too abusive. Through transom exhaust is almost a must and it isn't that hard. If I were you, I'd start to look for an external ram hydraulic steering assembly with a hyd helm to match, you'll only need a single so you should be able to find one cheap. That way you'll free up space to fit the exhaust.

Post pics of your new toy when you can.

Good Luck,
John
Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default Stinger

LOL You don't have to redo any of the steering to go to thru the hull.I did my 202 with eddie marine manifolds and risers.But stock merc center rise will work fine. I put mine above the rub rail, because when you have to slow down fast the water can run up the pipes on a 202. I'm running a injected 350 with a alpha works good. Also I find 58 on gps a lil hard to believe, unless somebody already removed the 120+ lbs of sand out of the front of the boat.. Any way post pics up of your progress on it..

John

Last edited by Fenderjack; 05-25-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered

You know I never thought of putting the exhaust out up there!

Looks good though!

Are the mounts for your 350 in the stock locations or did you have to move them or fabricate custom ones?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default 202

Ghost! Had to move them forward about 3" I did this by using a piece of alum angle 3x4.I will try to get you a pic.Other than that no big deal pay no attention to the bl flag,LOL Had I known to move the mounts foward,I would have done it when I redid the stringers,but I did them when the V6 was in it. Look at my 202 posts.Got this 202 running 80.Getting ready to rut a pro charger on it.HOLD ON. JOHN
Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Registered

Bring her down here, we'll race.

My BBC has custom fabbed mounts that fit as caps over where the stock mounts went. If all you had to do was move them forward, that means the stringers are the same width as mine?

That means Natewood's 400 will fit no problemo with some 'creative' mount manufacturing.

If you want Natewood07, I'll post a pic of the ones Fastlane40 made for mine that I've beefed up a bit, they'll hold a 400 no worries and they're dead easy to make and install. Then you can really get moving!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default Stinger

Yes the stringer for big blocks small blocks and V6s are all the same c/c width.My stinger and my fountain have the same c/c width.My mounts took me about 1 hour to make it is not a big job.He could do it like yours or mine and be fine .JOHN
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies everyone fenderjack if you could post those pics i will appreciate it. GHost nice boat!! I never thought of putting the exhaust that high. are you using a switchable system?
I guess I wont be putting the 400 in the boat I guess the cylinder walls are to thin and they will get too hot thats why people run 383s and not 400s or so i'm told.Anyone have input about that? I want a reliable boat not something I have to work on constantly.
Also what are you guys doing about fuel tanks for it? I only have a 24 galoon tank and i think i need a bigger one if I put a sbc in it .Also what are the disadvantages? with the balllast out it cant be much heavier if I get a 60 gal made??

I will trt to get pics up soon i started pullin it apart before i thought about takin pics!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Fuel tank should be larger than 24 Gal. My 222 had 60 (top of tank actually says 61) and I'm pretty sure my 202 had like a 40 Gal. Shoot a PM to TomZ (he has my old 222) and he can look it up. He has all my original papers and brochures...

Also, my 202 with a 4.3 was nowhere near 58mph. Only low 50's by the speedo...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default 400

Originally Posted by Natewood07
Thanks for the replies everyone fenderjack if you could post those pics i will appreciate it. GHost nice boat!! I never thought of putting the exhaust that high. are you using a switchable system?
I guess I wont be putting the 400 in the boat I guess the cylinder walls are to thin and they will get too hot thats why people run 383s and not 400s or so i'm told.Anyone have input about that? I want a reliable boat not something I have to work on constantly.
Also what are you guys doing about fuel tanks for it? I only have a 24 galoon tank and i think i need a bigger one if I put a sbc in it .Also what are the disadvantages? with the balllast out it cant be much heavier if I get a 60 gal made??

I will trt to get pics up soon i started pullin it apart before i thought about takin pics!!
The thing won't get hot remember you have a unlimited amount of Low temp cooling water. Run a cross over with no thermostat.It will run 135 deg. for ever just make sure you use good marine head gaskets. A far as the tank,that thing will run a long time on the stock tank.I have never had a fuel issue,and I run hard .Take the sand out of the front. JOHN

Last edited by Fenderjack; 05-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.