some questions about the scorpion 230 >

some questions about the scorpion 230

Notices

some questions about the scorpion 230

Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions about the scorpion 230

So my fiancés father has given me his old scorpion 230 it's I believe an 86 or 87, I'm not sure exactly what engine it has, I know its a mercury engine nor what outdrive it has exactly though I do know that it's also a mercruiser outdrive, I know that it had a 4 blade prop and with 3 people on board we had it going I think around 40 mph. here's the thing, somebody took it joyriding around the lake and hit a rock pretty hard. Bottom line is that the lower unit and prop are trashed and need to be replaced, according to the mechanic we took it to the engine isn't damaged however it needs new plugs and wires and the engine could probably use a rebuild. all the seats and cushions are shot, town up, sun baked and cracked and needs to be replaced. what I'm wondering is:

1. what can I expect to pay for the new outdrive lower unit and prop, both cost of parts and installation, I know it's hard to give me an accurate figure since I'm not sure what model outdrive the boat has

2. what can I expect to pay for an engine rebuild and new plugs and wires.

3. where can I find a company to redo the cushions and pad over the engine compartment. and again, how much am I looking at paying.

I apologize for my total inexperience with this, racing sailboats are my thing so a performance powerboat like this is new to me, I'd really like to get it running again and clean her up.Thanks in advance for any advice.
below is a photo of the boat.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Registered

Do you have a photo of the back of the boat from any angel? It will help to ID what drive you have.
Do you know if the boat has been modified at all?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

sadly I don't have any other photos at the moment, and to my knowledge the boat hasn't been modified at all, the family just bought it as a family boat that they could ski and wakeboard behind so I doubt that it's been modified.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

went and took a look at the boat today, it has a mercury alpha one outdrive, 4 bladed prop and a mercury 350, 260 horsepower engine with a rochester carburetor
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered

That helps!

You can usually pick up a decent used Alpha from someone on here for cheap when people do the Alpha to Bravo conversion. Do a search of the Swap Shop and classifieds and if that doesn't work, try Ebay. Try to get a hold of Mr Gasket on here, he builds / repairs drives and may know of one somewhere. The prop won't be hard to find but I'd leave that till last when you know what you want out of the boat, buy a prop to suit.

As for the engine, again it depends what you want. There's a bunch of good discussion about the 350 - 383 stroker upgrade, which is personally what I would do without hesitation but if all you're after is a quick overhaul to get it up and running, you need to confirm the condition of the engine first before you start. Do a compression test and give the engine a thorough going over, check all the hoses, belts, leads and wiring. Check the plugs for uneven combustion, drop the oil out and inspect that too. Once you know where your engine's at, you'll have an idea what needs doing. If there isn't anything wrong, best bet is a new set of plugs, leads and get the distributor checked, change the oil and filters and see how you like the boat as is with the new drive and prop. That way you'll know which things you'd like to fix first; top speed, acceleration, handling etc.

Let us know what you find and how you get on!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian
1. what can I expect to pay for the new outdrive lower unit and prop, both cost of parts and installation, I know it's hard to give me an accurate figure since I'm not sure what model outdrive the boat has

2. what can I expect to pay for an engine rebuild and new plugs and wires.

3. where can I find a company to redo the cushions and pad over the engine compartment. and again, how much am I looking at paying.

Tough to ballpark because of the variables and who does the work but Ill give it a shot and assume you are having someone do all the work for you...

Drive: You can get a brand new Alpha drive from SEI for $1200-1300.. Probably less than any mechanic is gonna charge you for fixing yours and it has an unconditional 3 year warranty..
http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Engine: A basic rebuild for a 350 will probably run you $2500-3000 if the mechanic does all the work.

Interior: Redoing all your interior vinyl will be anywhere from 1500-2500 just depending on quality of work and materials.

As you can imagine there is really is no such thing as a "free" boat.