1980 Chris Craft Scorpion? >

1980 Chris Craft Scorpion?

Notices

1980 Chris Craft Scorpion?

Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Chris Craft Scorpion?

Trying to figure out exactly what I have. Can't find a whole lot of information on the "Scorpion" model, they almost seem to use "Scorpion" and "Stinger" interchangeably. It was my grandfather's boat that he handed down to us. He claims it is a 1980 Chris Craft 260 Scorpion. It has a 454 in it, not sure which drive it has on it though. I know it has a problem with blown seals in the drive. Had it repaired a couple times that I know of. I am wondering if the engine is too powerful for the drive. Would it be worth it to try and fix it up? I know the hull doesn't leak a drop. Just needs a little TLC.

Thanks for your input

Old 09-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Your post seems to have gotten missed.....!

Welcome to to OSO.
If you post a few pics of interior, engine, drive etc, you'll get more answers. With a 454, it's probably coupled to a transmission and then a TRS sterndrive. TRS drives are pretty durable and a stock 454 shouldn't put too much stress on it. If you post a few more pics, there's plenty of people here who can give you lots of good info.

Another interesting site is chriscraftstingers.com which obviously caters more to the Stinger fans but has some good history and reading on Scorpions too.

Scorpions are not particularly valuable or collectible but if the hull is solid (transom and stringers in particular) they are a nice running boat, especially if it has a little sentimental value. If you want to do a restoration and make it perfect, like any boat, it will cost you way more than you'd ever get back for it so proceed with caution!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 09-01-2016 at 12:15 AM.