Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
26 stinger with twin big block bravos >

26 stinger with twin big block bravos

26 stinger with twin big block bravos

Old 06-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Registered

Default 26 stinger with twin big block bravos

i was at my friends marina and he has a 26 stinger sitting around with big blocks and Bravos. Needs one drive which I have and I also have a spare 7.4 merc (if needed) Anyone have a clue how this boat will perform. Top speed?

also is it even worth the trouble or find something else
Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had one of these in the 80's. Was a twin 5.7L / Alpha boat. Topped out around 68. Big, heavy and solid for a 26 footer. Not sure how it would handle with the power you've mentioned.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I ran 60 with mine on alphas... i doubt it would touch 70 even with big blocks!
Old 06-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Registered

I also owned one of these with twin small blocks and alphas and like the others, it ran about 60mph on a good day.
My buddy had the exact same boat with big blocks and he has a picture of it airborn on a poker run he attended. It was setup exactly as you describe with bravos and the boat was absolutely INSANE!
There is a documented problem with these boats however. the 210, 230 245 and 260's all have the dreaded "STINGER HOP"
This is a design flaw in the hulls and even my 260 (and I owned every one of the prior mentioned boats) with tabs could barely trim out the hop at high speeds.
My 390x is as smooth as glass because of the weight, width and length of the boat. It cuts chop easily but the 260 hull will have issues especially with the overpowered big blocks weighing a few extra hundred lbs in the rear? The boats were originally designed for small blocks and I know it's only a few extra pounds were talking about, but it would possibly effect the x dimension? Like I said my buddy's boat was totally insane and you had to be careful driving it. It was crazy fast but not for any novice! He built it for speed and got it as he topped out at 88mph on the gps and the hull is only designed for 68mph.
If your an experienced driver and love to go fast and need adrenaline, buy the boat!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

you aint kidding about the Stinger Hop . . . . mine was a 2/260/Alpha boat as well and trimmed to the moon to do 60 it hopped so bad a had visions of blow over in the back of my head lol. Even still i absolutely LOVED that boat for exactly what it was. Solid, cheap, easy to maintain and had tons of room for a twenty six footer. I've had many boats but i always have a sweet spot for the CC 260 Stinger

third pic its parked next to a 38 Scarab, although the camera angle makes it look damn near the same size they really are a BIG twenty six footer
Attached Thumbnails 26 stinger with twin big block bravos-scorp.jpg   26 stinger with twin big block bravos-scorp%2520pics%2520055.jpg   26 stinger with twin big block bravos-scorp-pics-060-medium-.jpg  

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )