Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   38 from the 80's in Ocean City, MD (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/169046-38-80s-ocean-city-md.html)

texaschopper 09-18-2007 08:33 PM

38 from the 80's in Ocean City, MD

Anyone remember a 38 named Satin Doll? It was kept on a lift at the White Marlin Marina. Was owned by a car dealer in Baltimore. Just curious if it was still around.

38flatdeck 09-19-2007 07:57 AM

there was a 38 top gun named lethal weapon in oc,don't know what ever happened to it

O.C.Barry 09-19-2007 10:43 AM

Satin Doll & Lethal Weopon

Wow, this question brings up a lot of great memories!

Satin Doll and Lethal Weapon were both owned by my close friend Bill Schaefer. After owning several 35 Cigarettes, Bill commissioned Satin Doll from Don Aronow around 1978. Satin Doll was purported to be the first 38 Cigarette ever, but I'll have to defer to BROWNIE on that fact. At the very least it was one of the first 38 Cigs ever built. It was all fiberglass with aluminum race hatches and a teak interior. The power was staggered 496 Fuel injected Total Performane engines on 100 octane aviation fuel. In fact Doug Ake, who had the little shop at the marina, installed an underground tank for the av fuel. The boat was an absolute wave - crusher!!! It was my first ride ever in an offshore boat. I was hooked then and still am now (I'm on my 4th and 5th Cigarettes). Bill later donated Satin Doll to charity and it found it's way to Chicago, was painted black and renamed "The Beast'. Bill then had Mark McManus (who was still at Cigarette at that point) build a 35 Cigarette 'Dollar Bill' which was later sold to a land developer named Tommy Sperl. In 1987 Craig Barrie built Bill's final Cigarette, a 38 TG 'Lethal Weapon' . In 1994, Ron Doller (Gosh I miss Ron, he was a great guy) totatally redid Lethal Weopon. Bill kept it for a year then Ron sold it for him. Bill went on to a 63' Searay and now to a 68' SeaRay.

Barry

texaschopper 09-19-2007 11:18 AM

Barry-

hey thanks for all that information. I was only 7-9 years old at the time, but I remember always wanting to go to the White Marlin to see that boat. My father actually would get irritated because I would never shut up about it. I remember the teak cockpit and it being fuel injected. I believe it had "Kinsler Injection" written on the engine hatches. I also remember being off the coast of O.C. in our 24 Excailbur getting beat to death and it would come blasting by us like we were sitting still. We tried to run him a few times, but as you said...it was a wave crusher. He had a tan Formula as well correct?

O.C.Barry 09-19-2007 11:32 AM

Satin Doll & Lethal Weapon

Originally Posted by texaschopper (Post 2277293)
Barry-

hey thanks for all that information. I was only 7-9 years old at the time, but I remember always wanting to go to the White Marlin to see that boat. My father actually would get irritated because I would never shut up about it. I remember the teak cockpit and it being fuel injected. I believe it had "Kinsler Injection" written on the engine hatches. I also remember being off the coast of O.C. in our 24 Excailbur getting beat to death and it would come blasting by us like we were sitting still. We tried to run him a few times, but as you said...it was a wave crusher. He had a tan Formula as well correct?

Yes, it did have Kinsler injection. Not a Formula, but while waiting for Satin Doll to be completed, he bought a tan Sleekcraft and only used it a couple of times. I have never seen another Sleekcraft like it. If you remember a 28' Cigarette with no name in the early 80's, that was me. I used to rack store it at Bayside boatel.

We got numerous tickets in Satin Doll; the most notable for jumping the wake of the Captain Jack Bunting in the ocean and being at the same height as the people on the second deck of the boat. It was the most fun for $36.00 that we ever had.

I think I remember the Excaliber, what color was it? I also remember throttling Jenny's Express in the ocean when a jet boat tried to race us. He came off a wave and caved the whole front deck in. We turned around and stopped to see if they were okay and they were actually laughing hysterically.

thisistank 09-19-2007 11:41 AM

This is a cool thread. Old School baby, love it!

I saw "The Beast" for sale out of Chicago about two years ago. Know where it went? That thing was a MONSTER!

38flatdeck 09-19-2007 11:45 AM

didn't someone also have a all red 38 top gun ?

O.C.Barry 09-19-2007 11:48 AM

Satin Doll / The Beast

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 2277320)
This is a cool thread. Old School baby, love it!

I saw "The Beast" for sale out of Chicago about two years ago. Know where it went? That thing was a MONSTER!

Tank - This link is still 'alive' so I don't know if it ever sold. In the description there is an error "It was built for a wealthy New York Businessman"' Should say '....Baltimore Businessman'..

Here is the link:

http://hometown.aol.com/boogiewizboat1/index.html

Yeah, I really like the old school stuff too and have been lucky enough at times to be in the company of Don Aronow, Brownie, Mark McManus, Craig Barrie.... To me there's just nothing like offshore.....

O.C.Barry 09-19-2007 12:04 PM

Red Top gun

Originally Posted by 38scarab (Post 2277325)
didn't someone also have a all red 38 top gun ?

There was an all red brand new Top Gun named Puritan (a blond haired guy who owned a swimming pool company) that ran out the inlet with us (You know how rough the OC inlet is!) we were in Jennys Express (41 Apache) and Lethal Weapon. I was throttling Jennys Express and was even with Puritan, we caught BIG air and were so close that as I throttled back I saw he kept the throttles down. We then heard a brand new C&G 572 grenade big time. We turned around to see if he was okay and followed him into West Ocean City where we all docked at the Captains Galley. We asked why he didn't throttle back and he said " I just got the boat, I didn't know I had to do that." He asked me to look at his boat. I climbed into the engine compartment, which had about ten quarts of oil in the bilge. I felt down the side of the engine block and felt where the rod kicked into the side of the block and bulged it out. Later Randy Garciga called us to ask what happened. We couldn't tell Randy anything but the truth, the guy just zinged the engines and grenaded the one. We felt bad that it voided the guys warranty, but we couldn't lie about, particularly to the guy who built engines for both Jenny's and Lethal.

There was also red 30' Scarab owned by a guy named Tom and of course Joe Horisk's red 38' Scarab Smokin' Joe and 43' Scarab Smokin' Joe. In the 43' Joe and I left the Indian River inlet a number of times at over 100 MPH! At its prime we hit 107 MPH in the 43'.

Barry

texaschopper 09-19-2007 12:19 PM

Barry-

our Excalibur had an orange hull, and white deck. Yeah Capt. Jack Bunting was vicious beast back then. I remember coming throught the inlet one time and it put a wake/wave over our bow that I thought was going to sink us. There was not a dry person in the boat.

I think I do remember your Cigarette. Did it sit on a rack outside facing the highway right outside the doors to the boatel? I spent a lot time at Bayside during that time as my father was rigging a 16 foot Baja with a 200 merc at the little marina at the top of the hill. I think it was the sleekcraft dealer??? Again i was only 8-9 years old.