Mystique Thread

Notices

Mystique Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 AM
ck54
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanafort
Any pictures of the boat when you had it? Do you know what # mystique this one is?
I'll try and dig up some pictures. That was before my digital days.
Here is some additional history on it. It was originally sent to a dealer in Canada. He couldn't sell it and transfered it to Offshore Performance.
I went to the Annapolis Boat Show, saw it, fell in love with it. Bought it on Friday the 13th. Offshore Performance stored the boat for me over the winter.
My big mistake was I never didn't a sea trial it before I bought it. The first time I ran the boat was the following spring. It ran great but it porpused and you had to run tap all of the time. There is no such thing as running through it on this boat. Some boats porpuse at a certain speed and you can get beyond it, not this one.
I wanted a bigger boat so I sold it. Bill and Harry treated my very fair on the trade.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

bman-

im thinking the notch is the area of the boat underneath where the V runs down but then stops short of being flush with the transom, where the 2 brass water plugs are to drain the eng compartment,

by "taking the notch out" i think it means extending that V all the way back to be flush with the transom

my question is how does anyone know it would work, have any other mystiques had this done to them
Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM
ck54
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Boomer35
bman-

im thinking the notch is the area of the boat underneath where the V runs down but then stops short of being flush with the transom, where the 2 brass water plugs are to drain the eng compartment,

by "taking the notch out" i think it means extending that V all the way back to be flush with the transom

my question is how does anyone know it would work, have any other mystiques had this done to them
Cigarette removed the notch in the later models, it is the fix. The newer ones don't porpuse.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the background. Do you know what # this mystique was. I think they only made 16.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered

This Is The Notch, (i Think)
Attached Thumbnails Mystique Thread-notch.jpeg  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ck54
Cigarette removed the notch in the later models, it is the fix. The newer ones don't porpuse.
the steps fixed it... all straight mystiques porp... filling the notch helped
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Boomer's pic shows a notched transom. I think originally, in the 80's, makers started to add notches to hull design to get more water to the props and be able to raise the X-dimension of the drives, especially on single engine applications. All this was done to increase speed.

I'm not an expert, and the hulls may be a slightly different design, but Bullets seem to have a slight porpose problem also. They came in various years with and without notches and I think both porpose. I also think just saying there's not enough running surface is not necessarily true. There are lots of boats with similar hull designs that are shorter than 30 ft that don't have porpose problems. Running surface is only one of many factors that include rocker, chine and strake design. If there is a fix, the best source to find anwsers to these problems would be the original designers at Cigarette.

My 2 cents
Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

I have always liked the Mystique's Lake Cumberland had one for a while and sold it to someone on the lake it was there for a year or two then I havent seen one in person since. It was a straight hull. I think porpoise is a ballance/weight/hull thing that the simplest way to git rid of was steps. In my experience most straight hulled boats will porpoise at some speed depending on trim. My baja did it my bullet did it and other boats that I have been on or driven have. If you run these boats on flat water they will for sure The bullet would not do it out in the gulf if it was rolling but on the dead flat days it would same with the gun. I would rather drag a little tab when it is flat and be able to run when it gets fun!!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

i called cig today, belive it or not i did not get a return call...... hopefully i will get ahold of someone and get to the bottom of the "notch" thing, (ie, cost to fix, will it work, etc)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Boomer,

Thank you for asking the questions to Cigarette. We will have to wait patiently for the answers.

Quick Reply: Mystique Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.