Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Is there any market for the older boats?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/185595-there-any-market-older-boats.html)

lakeluvr 04-29-2008 09:51 AM

Is there any market for the older boats??

With the gas getting the way it is, was wondering if anyone is still contemplating buying or upgrading to an older and bigger OS boat, like a Cig. Just listed mine is why, and the price should be really right. Be interested in hearing what other guys are thinking. Thanks.
John

Chris Sunkin 04-29-2008 10:17 AM

I'm doing it right now. Plowing major coin into a nice old flatdeck 35. So are a number of others. Offshoredrillin is dumping sick money into a 20. A Cigarette will always be a Cigarette. I know that I won't see this $$ back but I'd rather put it here than own some one-of-thousands Fountain or something like that.

As far as fuel- who cares? So it costs another couple hundred to run around on a weekend. You should see my wife & daughter at the mall. Now that's painful.

cigracing1 04-29-2008 01:12 PM

I'm spending loads on my 24 Fire Fox.

Chris Sunkin 04-29-2008 01:18 PM

I think about my project and then I see threads about guys who ship their vintage Cig of to LipShip and I realize I'm spending pennies to their dollars. He does incredible work though.

cigrocket 04-29-2008 01:35 PM

The classics will always have value if taken care of. It all depends on the setup, updates. Drive upgrades, good power, all make the differences.

BDiggity 04-29-2008 01:38 PM

we just bought the cafe, & for us personally it came down to which boat we thought would provide us the longest bang for the buck.

we wanted something that we both thought we could be just as happy w/ 10 summers from now as we are now. there were so many good deals out there, but wanted to keep our payment reasonable as we probably dont put more than 15-20hrs in a yr (lake is 4 hrs away & have 2 kids' summer activities).

so now my winters can consist of doing projects to hopefully fix this up to look as nice as the rest of you guys.

barron 04-29-2008 02:19 PM

If and when my boat sells I'll be done with boats. I think after boating for 30 years or so and having alot of fun,I feel spending a $1000 to fill my tanks is just to much. Now add the maint, lunch or dinner on the water and it really adds up.I did spend alot upgrading several boats,never really made money on them but it was fun.If I get the need to boat I'll just rent one.These gas prices pretty much took the fun out of boating for me. Good luck selling yours!:cool-smiley-026:

Jammin' 04-29-2008 02:50 PM

I'm putting stupid money in my '86 Sutphen. Not much of a market for any of these old boats boats at anything close to the $$ it takes to straighten them out. Too bad I don't care much for new boats.

Holy Smokes 04-29-2008 04:11 PM

John - you raise a very intersesting question. I've owned my classic for going on 3 years now and would hope (maybe a better word is dream) to recoup the $$$ I've put into it to date. BUT, (very big but!!) it would have to take just the right buyer. Those of us that have the passion for the old classics see the real value in them and the enjoyment of various upgrade projects. I, too, have had added frustration from continual wrenching/maintenance and couple that with the price of gas and really wonder, "is it all worth it?" Part of me says "yes" and the other says I'd just like to enjoy getting out on the water on anything that floats.

Our boats don't appeal to the masses, rather they appeal to only a select "real boaters":D

NickOTeen 04-29-2008 05:18 PM

There is definitely a market, but I think the key is realistic expectations. Some of the asking prices on these older cigs are not based in reality. I suppose that could be said for the entire boat market though. When I bought my old cig I thought she was the coolest boat on the lake..... 4.5 years later I still do. :D