Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Need advice on my first Cig (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/213212-need-advice-my-first-cig.html)

Doug c 07-18-2009 04:54 PM

Need advice on my first Cig

I'm going to get in to a "project" Cig that I can work on over the winter - this is my first big powerboat and I need your help on picking it out and what I should look for since my hours and hours of reading proves that you guys know what I should do. I'm a fireman, so I'm not rich and have plenty of time to put some elbow grease into it, and enjoy the challenge. I would like 33' + and newer than '95. I plan to do all the work aside from the final gelcoat, custom vinyl, and engines. I see alot out there that is repoed or uncared for that is CHEAP, but don't know what to look for specifically, and want to outfit this Cig with everything that will make it easy to sell if I want to get a newer/nicer one. I have around $60k to put into the entire project - am I nuts and is it possible? thanks in advance!
Doug

tanner 07-18-2009 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doug c (Post 2912993)
I'm going to get in to a "project" Cig that I can work on over the winter - this is my first big powerboat and I need your help on picking it out and what I should look for since my hours and hours of reading proves that you guys know what I should do. I'm a fireman, so I'm not rich and have plenty of time to put some elbow grease into it, and enjoy the challenge. I would like 33' + and newer than '95. I plan to do all the work aside from the final gelcoat, custom vinyl, and engines. I see alot out there that is repoed or uncared for that is CHEAP, but don't know what to look for specifically, and want to outfit this Cig with everything that will make it easy to sell if I want to get a newer/nicer one. I have around $60k to put into the entire project - am I nuts and is it possible? thanks in advance!
Doug

Ask anyone who has done it ... dont do the project boat..Keep saving another year or so and buy one that is done. There is not a single person on this board that will tell you he was ahead of the game by doing the work himself and restoring something ..trust me !

Doug c 07-18-2009 05:56 PM

Would I be better off buying someone elses project boat, or a stock version in good shape? Do you think that I would be spending more money trying to save some? It sounds like a potential nightmare for me from your vibe there tanner.

H20 Toie 07-18-2009 06:34 PM

Ditto on not doing a project, for not much more than that you should be able to get a good boat and not have to work on it

tanner 07-18-2009 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doug c (Post 2913015)
Would I be better off buying someone elses project boat, or a stock version in good shape? Do you think that I would be spending more money trying to save some? It sounds like a potential nightmare for me from your vibe there tanner.

A complete nightmare, alot of time and 3 times the money that you think you will spend in the beginning. Just think every stainless steel nut, bolt and washer is at least 30 cents each.. now think about motors , drives, upholstery etc...it just never ends !!! Just buy a boat that is in good shape, or that someone has already done the work too, you will safe alot in the long run !!!

bustedbrick 07-18-2009 10:38 PM

I bought a clean, stock, unmolested '85 Mistress as a project a few months ago. For me, the thrill is in the hunt. Do it because you like the work, not because you think you can get a good running boat for cheaper.

Couple of things I have learned so far. Don't forget about the condition of the trailer. Consider your workspace and make sure its comfortable enough to spend long hours in. When you have honed in on a boat, check to make sure you can get insurance before you buy it (depends on boating experiance, top speed of boat, etc.).

Good luck, Randy

J-Bonz 07-18-2009 10:48 PM

Doug, I agree with all the above posts. My 2 cents is that if you really want to do a project. Pic a boat that you will want to hold onto for a good 10 years. You will have a very hard time getting your money back out of it. Just like what Tanner said, It all adds up quickly...........

damdonzi 07-19-2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by tanner (Post 2913044)
A complete nightmare, alot of time and 3 times the money that you think you will spend in the beginning. Just think every stainless steel nut, bolt and washer is at least 30 cents each.. now think about motors , drives, upholstery etc...it just never ends !!! Just buy a boat that is in good shape, or that someone has already done the work too, you will safe alot in the long run !!!

+1

Doug c 07-19-2009 10:12 AM

Thanks for the advise folks. The idea of the project sounded challenging, but I don't want to lose my ass on a good challenge. I thought it would create some good father/son time for my 14 year old and me. I bought a little 202 Crownline LPX last year that was perfect and there is nothing really to do to it other than polish it up - and the fruits of the labor of course. Maybe I should look for one with few bells and whistles in my price range and upgrade from there?

birdog 07-19-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doug c (Post 2913225)
Thanks for the advise folks. The idea of the project sounded challenging, but I don't want to lose my ass on a good challenge. I thought it would create some good father/son time for my 14 year old and me. I bought a little 202 Crownline LPX last year that was perfect and there is nothing really to do to it other than polish it up - and the fruits of the labor of course. Maybe I should look for one with few bells and whistles in my price range and upgrade from there?

Good thinking...Even buying a nice one you will still have plenty of mant. and upgrades you guys can do...