Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!! >

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Notices

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

and an album link....

http://picasaweb.google.com/SpecialtyAutoWerks/Cig20#
Old 02-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
If you host them elsewhere (I use picasa) all you have to do is click the insert picture button (Mountain with yellow sky and moon) on the toolbar and copy the link! Takes a little trial and error, but works great once you figure it out. if you want to email them to me, I'd be happy to post them.

[email protected]
thanks for adding the photos I fallowed the link to the site I'll look it over and try to make it work...

removing all the glass was simple due to the pore workmen ship. they filled all the holes with plywood and covered it in mat and light weight roving with so little resin the cloth was dry in places, kinda scary.
I have been looking at the photos on air dogs post and found one of a brown boat being built like a modern 20' and I wonder if any one knows if that is the older boat that lip ship is building or not.. in the same photo you can see the factory size of the stringer it's much, much larger then mine 6 to 8 inches have been cut from my stringer by the looks of it...

I have also cut out the jet drive water pick up hole and got the boat sanded in 150 normally I hit a boat with 545 at this point "if there wasn't large holes all over her" and I also fear the boat was never sanded right for the first coat of paint,,, I am debating soda blasting the boat in and out, or striping her to gel with my D/A. she is small so I can coat her in dad's paint remover or aircraft stripper and power wash her... I don't know yet still thinking....
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

yes the brown and tan one is Ricks boat. I am doing the same thing to mine. His was the original that was transformed the other ones Phil bought hulls from cigarette. the bracket that you asked about under the seat is an old battery bracket.it's scrap so dont worry about that one too much.
my opinion on your work progressions would be to remove all the wood from the transom and redo that first to sure the boat up, then remove the deck and go after the stringers and supports. honestly, you pretty much have to start from scratch.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
yes the brown and tan one is Ricks boat. I am doing the same thing to mine. His was the original that was transformed the other ones Phil bought hulls from cigarette. the bracket that you asked about under the seat is an old battery bracket.it's scrap so dont worry about that one too much.
my opinion on your work progressions would be to remove all the wood from the transom and redo that first to sure the boat up, then remove the deck and go after the stringers and supports. honestly, you pretty much have to start from scratch.
I was thinking of tabbing two 2x4's from the side to side of the hull, one in the bow and one behind the seat. once the deck cap is up I can tab a 3'rd 2x4 if needed that hold the shape of the hull so i can work a week or so.. then I think I can do the transom with nothing in my way....

also it seams like the wind screen mod starts at the bow side of the hatch and runs as hi as the factory window then there is a lip and it go's up 3 or 4 inch in the front and angels down on the sides... or is it mid hatch and i am seeing it wrong...
ya she's not even a hull... all the hard where is scrap...

when guys fill the pick up for the jet drive are they faring the sides of the jet drive pick up platform round or are they grinding it round and reinforcing the hull from in side.... seems as if it may need to be ground down to keep the keel line but at the same time that just seams like a bad idea...

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 02-28-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

also when you mod the wind screen where are you starting the incline?

seems like when the new and old 20's are side by side the new wind screen starts on the bow side of the hatch and seems to run from there to about as hi as the factory widow but set back an inch or two, then there's a lip and it extends 3 or 4 more inches in the front and angles down on the sides till it meets the factory cockpit rim line...

or?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

my cowl incline will be starting right where the storage tub starts, when cig changed the deck, the newer ones have more of a flat deck look to them. I dont have the paperwork in front of me but I think we have about an 8 inch rise. also the newer ones have a pad bottom and not the round hull.
yes you can sure up the deck with 2x4's. my jet drive hole was already glassed over, but very rough, dave filled it once the wood was out, then redid everything and re geled the whole transom and bottom of the boat as well as blueprinted it, all the strakes are now straight and true.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Registered

my cowl incline will be starting right where the storage tub starts, when cig changed the deck, the newer ones have more of a flat deck look to them. I dont have the paperwork in front of me but I think we have about an 8 inch rise. also the newer ones have a pad bottom and not the round hull.
yes you can sure up the deck with 2x4's. my jet drive hole was already glassed over, but very rough, dave filled it once the wood was out, then redid everything and re geled the whole transom and bottom of the boat as well as blueprinted it, all the strakes are now straight and true.
I'd only use the 2x4 just to hold the hulls shape when the cap is off... then remove them once the cap is reinstalled.. The cockpit floor is tabbed in very well to all the stringers... on both sides.. a sob to cut... the stringers are only damages in the one aria they have not rotted just been cut for a larger engine.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
I'd only use the 2x4 just to hold the hulls shape when the cap is off... then remove them once the cap is reinstalled.. The cockpit floor is tabbed in very well to all the stringers... on both sides.. a sob to cut... the stringers are only damages in the one aria they have not rotted just been cut for a larger engine.
I don't think that Dave had to reinforce the hull with 2x4's, the weakest link was the deck.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 AM
45 Lip Ship / 900 Zul's
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
I have been looking at the photos on air dogs post and found one of a brown boat being built like a modern 20' and I wonder if any one knows if that is the older boat that lip ship is building or not.. in the same photo you can see the factory size of the stringer it's much, much larger then mine 6 to 8 inches have been cut from my stringer by the looks of it...
Tomuch welcome to the 20 club
Lip Ship did this 20 for me

looks like you got your work cut out for you. If I was you I would do big HP Smallblock with a blackhawk drive

I found that my 20 runs alot better with this set up in it

Rick OSG
Attached Thumbnails restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-lip-ship-lil-max.jpg   restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-lip-ship-lil-max-1007-.jpg   restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-lip-ship-lil-max-1056-.jpg  

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-lip-ship-lil-max-1051-.jpg   restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-lip-ship-lil-max-1088-.jpg  

Last edited by ONESICKGLADIATOR; 03-01-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
45 Lip Ship / 900 Zul's
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ONESICKGLADIATOR
Tomuch welcome to the 20 club
Lip Ship did my 20 for me

looks like you got your work cut out for you. If I was you I would do big HP Smallblock with a blackhawk drive

I found that my 20 runs alot better with this set up in it

Rick OSG
somemore what it looks like today

Rick OSG
Attached Thumbnails restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-20-cigarette-hide-out-43-.jpg   restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-photo-6-2-.jpg   restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-photo-6-3-.jpg  

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!-photo-6-5-.jpg  

Last edited by ONESICKGLADIATOR; 03-01-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.