Like Tree0Likes

How Fast Should I be going?

Reply
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Splendora, TX
My Boats: 1994 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 655
Default How Fast Should I be going?

How fast should my 1994 Cigarette TOP GUN be going with twin Supercharged 600hp engines at 5500rpm? I'm currently at 71 with full fuel and 2 people in the boat. Anyone with a similar setup?
UrbanDisturbance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
  #2
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,913
Default

A buddy has a 1994 that Lipship redid in 2004. 500EFI's and bravos. Runs 68 any day and 72 under the right conditions.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Splendora, TX
My Boats: 1994 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
A buddy has a 1994 that Lipship redid in 2004. 500EFI's and bravos. Runs 68 any day and 72 under the right conditions.
Is the Lipship addition carbon fiber?

I hit 71 with Full Tanks....suppose to be 220 gallons.
1 - 1 1/2 foot chop in freshwater.

Anyone else?
UrbanDisturbance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM
  #4
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance View Post
Is the Lipship addition carbon fiber?

I hit 71 with Full Tanks....suppose to be 220 gallons.
1 - 1 1/2 foot chop in freshwater.

Anyone else?
Lipship did a complete restoration, but I don't think it was originally a Lipship boat. Not carbon fiber that he's aware of. 68 is in flat fresh water, he claims he's seen 75-76 in 2+ ft "chop" in salt water but without a GPS I find that hard to believe. I had a Formula 382 that was way faster at 3,500 (58) so we rarely ran together except on a few poker runs.

Remember, 220 gallons is heavy, I'm sure his boat is slower when full too.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
carter38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Oklahoma/GLOC
My Boats: Cigarettes
Posts: 2,461
Default

What size props are you running?
carter38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
  #6
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
seafordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seaford, VA
My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer
Posts: 3,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance View Post
How fast should my 1994 Cigarette TOP GUN be going with twin Supercharged 600hp engines at 5500rpm? I'm currently at 71 with full fuel and 2 people in the boat. Anyone with a similar setup?
Cafe - 502's with Wieand 177 blowers. I think they put out about 575.

Will run upper 60's in small water but will run about 75 in rough water. You HAVE to be in 3 footers to see speed out of the flat bottoms - honestly there is a tangible difference.

I run bravo 4 blades 26P.
seafordguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 AM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Splendora, TX
My Boats: 1994 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter38 View Post
What size props are you running?
I'm running labbed 26 pitch Maximus. I'm hitting my Rev limiter at 5500rpm. Also, I have them spinning out. I think I am going to add a little more cup, as it does not take very long to get to 5500rpm. I hope to see an increase when I spin them in. If all goes well, I am going to test them spinning in Saturday.
UrbanDisturbance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM
  #8
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member
 
4195's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Old Saybrook CT
My Boats: 2009 Marquis 50SC
Posts: 2,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance View Post
I'm running labbed 26 pitch Maximus. I'm hitting my Rev limiter at 5500rpm. Also, I have them spinning out. I think I am going to add a little more cup, as it does not take very long to get to 5500rpm. I hope to see an increase when I spin them in. If all goes well, I am going to test them spinning in Saturday.
Urban you need 28p 4 blades. My buddy has a 1994 Top Gun with 600SC boat ran 80.6 gps last month when I was on it with 4 people 1/2 tank of fuel in 2' chop. You are definately over revving and will pull more mph when you lower rpm by going up in pitch. Your cruise speed will improve quite a bit as well!
4195 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 AM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Splendora, TX
My Boats: 1994 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4195 View Post
Urban you need 28p 4 blades. My buddy has a 1994 Top Gun with 600SC boat ran 80.6 gps last month when I was on it with 4 people 1/2 tank of fuel in 2' chop. You are definately over revving and will pull more mph when you lower rpm by going up in pitch. Your cruise speed will improve quite a bit as well!
5500 rpm is my max HP according to the dyno. They are roller motors. Does your buddy have labbed Bravo 1 props or Hydromotive? What RPM is running at WOT. This information will be very helpful.
UrbanDisturbance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM
  #10
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member
 
4195's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Old Saybrook CT
My Boats: 2009 Marquis 50SC
Posts: 2,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance View Post
5500 rpm is my max HP according to the dyno. They are roller motors. Does your buddy have labbed Bravo 1 props or Hydromotive? What RPM is running at WOT. This information will be very helpful.
The props are not labbed he is runnig 5100-5200. So for you I would get the 4 blade Bravos 28p and have BBlades lab them per your specs, it will feel like a new boat!!!!!
4195 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.